• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Keeper question

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 kept

Right now it's:
d'Arnaud
Belt
Harrison
Sano
Tulo
Gregory Polanco
Calhoun
Piscotty
Josh Bell
Brad Miller
Wieters
Tim Anderson

Sale
Rosenthal
Strickland
Keuchel
Salazar
Cobb
Francisco Rodriguez

My final keeper I'm torn between a few people:

Domingo Santana
Good chance to get tons of ABs on a rebuilding Milwaukee team with good power and decent legs.

Albert Almora
Probable platoon guy in center, but an intriguing player being a former top of the system type player.

Jose Berrios
Good arm, but probably the number 5 guy in a pretty bad rotation.

Who do you think?

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of those three I would probably go with Berrios. This being a keeper league, he has time to blossom into an ace.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of those three I would probably go with Berrios. This being a keeper league, he has time to blossom into an ace.

I actually had Berrios as a complete non-keeper up until I posted this. Then I took another look and saw he wasn't even kept. I think he goes up to number one on this list, then Santana, then Almora. That's how I rate them right now, personally

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Fuzzy on this one; gimme Berrios.

Pretty amazing how some of these guys go from "can't miss" to "bust" in one year, isn't it?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, this is very difficult because none of the 3 should really be kept... But since you have one more eligibility, you have to take one...

I would easily go santana though... when he played last season, he was at the top of the lineup... we know Almora won't be since he is actually on a great team... so Almora is an easy cut....

then it is between Santana and Berrios... Berrios did nothing last season for me to believe that he is ready to be a sub 4 ERA pitcher next season... so i wouldn't be going crazy to keep him... Santana is your most likely candidate to be a legitimate starter in a 12 team league...

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, this is very difficult because none of the 3 should really be kept... But since you have one more eligibility, you have to take one...

I would easily go santana though... when he played last season, he was at the top of the lineup... we know Almora won't be since he is actually on a great team... so Almora is an easy cut....

then it is between Santana and Berrios... Berrios did nothing last season for me to believe that he is ready to be a sub 4 ERA pitcher next season... so i wouldn't be going crazy to keep him... Santana is your most likely candidate to be a legitimate starter in a 12 team league...

It's a 14 team, and I have the option of not keeping 20, with a minimum of 15 but I've seen the pool of players left and there's not much there when calculating everyone else's keepers.

This might also help if I would have posted this earlier

Categories are:

Runs, HRs, RBIs, SBs, AVG
Ks, Ws, SVs (which I'll be lacking greatly), ERA, WHIP

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a 14 team, and I have the option of not keeping 20, with a minimum of 15 but I've seen the pool of players left and there's not much there when calculating everyone else's keepers.

This might also help if I would have posted this earlier

Categories are:

Runs, HRs, RBIs, SBs, AVG
Ks, Ws, SVs (which I'll be lacking greatly), ERA, WHIP

the real question is what do you start?? how many OF?? how many SP???

but generally speaking my rule of thumb when keeping a player(dynasty or not), is whether or not i foresee that player STARTING for me in a 12 team league(doesn't matter that you are in a 14 team league)... if the answer is none, then i ask who is most likely to start for me at any point of the season...

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the real question is what do you start?? how many OF?? how many SP???

but generally speaking my rule of thumb when keeping a player(dynasty or not), is whether or not i foresee that player STARTING for me in a 12 team league(doesn't matter that you are in a 14 team league)... if the answer is none, then i ask who is most likely to start for me at any point of the season...

I gotcha, I totally misunderstood the 12 team reference at first.

You have to start:
C
1B
2B
3B
SS
3x OF
2x UTIL
8x Pitcher
6x Bench

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely Berrios. Not even close.

Personally ai wouldn't even consider keeping the Catchers... but if you have no other pitchers to keep, so be it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO, but I am not a fan of looking too far into the future with non-minor league eligible players...

If Berrios still has minor league eligibility in your league(if you even have minor league roster spots) then I would 100% agree with everyone who says to keep berrios... But if you have to roster him, I just don't think he is ready to be a sub 4 ERA pitcher yet... he certainly hasn't showed he could be... and even if he does have an outstanding season next year we know he wont reach 200 innings and we know he will have trouble getting wins... so basically he has to be dominant to be worthwhile...

He is of course your best talent of the 3 options, but I just don't see him being fantasy relevant for at least a couple more seasons... and I am not a fan of keeping a player just to sit on your bench...

The one thing for certain though is that berrios will have the highest trade value of those 3, so if you want to keep him to trade him, I am all in for that idea... But if you are keeping a player to roster, I just see Santana to be your most valuable player of the 3 for the next 2 seasons...

this is just my advice, but even in a dynasty, if you look too far into the future you will only watch things constantly change... Players lose value quickly, while other players come from nowhere to be fantasy relevant...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimme Santana over either catcher. He hasn't shown anything but high injury risk and high K rate risk, but his ceiling is there somewhere... maybe he can Carlos Gomez-it.

This is a 3 OF league. Santana is no more of a lock for a starting lineup spot (util) than Berrios.... actually less so. Berrios on a 22-9start week is useable. Santana will find he bench more often I would assume.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimme Santana over either catcher. He hasn't shown anything but high injury risk and high K rate risk, but his ceiling is there somewhere... maybe he can Carlos Gomez-it.

This is a 3 OF league. Santana is no more of a lock for a starting lineup spot (util) than Berrios.... actually less so. Berrios on a 22-9start week is useable. Santana will find he bench more often I would assume.

Didn't even see he is keeping wieters. Yea, i wouldn't do that.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*2-start week

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TKOSpikes and @MilkSpiller22 you would suggest either no catchers or no Weiters and then keeping Berrios?

I was sort of just banking on either of them having a decent year at catcher and using a late keeper on either of them but I'm seeing some decent catchers available that could be taken as a replacement for them

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berrios and Santana over both for me. Especially if you see some C available. A dime a dozen man.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TKOSpikes and @MilkSpiller22 you would suggest either no catchers or no Weiters and then keeping Berrios?

I was sort of just banking on either of them having a decent year at catcher and using a late keeper on either of them but I'm seeing some decent catchers available that could be taken as a replacement for them

Depends. Is it a daily lineup change league and do you have minimum/maximum innings or games for any position??

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally I don't even own 2 catchers. But if it is daily then 2 catchers is a good strategy. But either way keeping 2 is silly.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally I don't even own 2 catchers. But if it is daily then 2 catchers is a good strategy. But either way keeping 2 is silly.

Daily lineups.

I'm a first year owner of the team, I was looking for a team and this one popped out to me as a decent team, then since there was 4 replacement owners they threw everyone except 3 kept per team into a pool and did a 4 team redraft. I went after some hitters and produced a pretty decent lineup, minus catcher and some depth while also maintaining a decent pitching staff.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify, this league has been around nearly 10 years. There are 3 minor leaguers kept but I didn't include those since it was irrelevant to who I kept. I've got Glasnow and Tyler O'Neill as my minors so far, plus another one coming in the off-season.

I feel like the team is pretty strong in most aspects, but there are a few positions that are lacking. I don't have 8 pitchers (RP and SP) that I feel like I can start on a 7 day basis who will put up winning number 50% of the time. That's the only reason why I'm considering Berrios. My other options as "keepers" right now are: Blair, Cingrani, and Shipley. Berrios no longer has minors eligibility.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But now that I do recommend keeping berrios, I really recommend you trying to trade him early.

Him and Sano. Better values than their immediate future projects.