• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

• A

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • B

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • C

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What grade would you give this draft?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about this all day and I have this draft between C+ to a B-. So I will go with a B based on the future and Johnson. I think we got a lot of great value picks and drafted a lot of players with a high ceiling. I don't think we get much help form this class this year but I think the future looks bright with this class. Also have to throw in the Johnson trade and this is what pushed me to a B overall. Johnson is a great pick up. I think today was the best day in the draft by the 49ers. I wish we traded more but we took some redshirt guys and some guys that can turn into starters if they get the right coaching and took some special team talent.

Fav pick: Hyde (yes I didn't think we needed this pick at the 2nd rd but the kid is very talented and should help us in the future.) Even though I hate USC I think Martin is a nice pick up. He has a shot to start from day one.

Worst pick: Ward ( not because I don't think he isn't good I just think he was a reach in the 1st rd. Thought he would of been there in the 2nd rd.) I think this is fair because no one had the 49ers taking him. There was some nice talent on the board that we could of took or draft up when Dennard fell or went up and at least took Varrett.

Sleeper pick: A. Lynch(great upside) I also think B. Thomas is a nice redshirt pick. He was a early 2nd rd talent. If he didn't get hurt he would of been gone.

Conclusion: They didn't draft any player that I really wanted and I expected us to make some noise in this draft so I was upset but overall they did draft some talent. Like I said before S. Johnson was my fav part of this whole thing.

B is my Final grade.

Lets Go 49ers

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We got real good depth and young depth in the secondary, at RB, on the O-line, at OLB. I would consider Stevie Johnson basically real solid depth too (not a superstar).

Definitely we'll get solid players out of this draft but not sure I see any superstars coming out of this draft?

Also we drafted a bunch of guys who are we gonna cut? LaMichael James, Eric Wright, Cox, Lloyd, Osgood, Baldwin, Adam Snyder, Moody, maybe even Skuta all gone?

Also wish we would have grabbed one of the receivers available in the 2nd (Latimer, Moncrief).

grade B-

Last edited by a moderator:

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would say a B.. There are a lot of talented players coming to town however I think as everyone said that it could be a problem with us taking players that may not have a distinct place right now.. It wouldn't surprise me to see some of these players stub their toes and go on IR. I think the front office surprised a lot of ppl with the way they approached this deep draft, possibly thinking these players are better than what they have on the roster at the end of the team.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got real good depth and young depth in the secondary, at RB, on the O-line, at OLB. I would consider Stevie Johnson basically real solid depth too (not a superstar).

Definitely we'll get solid players out of this draft but not sure I see any superstars coming out of this draft?

Also we drafted a bunch of guys who are we gonna cut? LaMichael James, Eric Wright, Cox, Lloyd, Osgood, Baldwin, Adam Snyder, Moody, maybe even Skuta all gone?

Also wish we would have grabbed one of the receivers available in the 2nd (Latimer, Moncrief).

grade B-

I think that is fair. I think Hyde has a shot to be a superstar or Martin(well as a center, great upside.) Yes some guys will get cut like maybe Baldwin, Moody and Synder. No way Skuta gets cut. I would be shocked. Maybe Cox again.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say a B.. There are a lot of talented players coming to town however I think as everyone said that it could be a problem with us taking players that may not have a distinct place right now.. It wouldn't surprise me to see some of these players stub their toes and go on IR. I think the front office surprised a lot of ppl with the way they approached this deep draft, possibly thinking these players are better than what they have on the roster at the end of the team.

In a way I think they got a little cute or over thought this draft. Still they did a nice job. I was just hoping for a Home run and they settle with a couple singles and doubles. Nothing wrong with that. Can still be productive players. Hyde, martin and trade for johnson are the highlights of this draft. Interesting to see what Ward does. Hyde we will find out next year. Martin will battle for a starting spot and Johnson as our slot receiver. Ward will try out at the nickel slot spot and maybe in a year or 2 move to FS.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
B

I dislike the Carlos Hyde and Bruce Ellington pick, but we have depth at those positions I feel so don't have to worry about them too much.

If Dontae Johnson is tried at CB I will dislike the pick, but I think he'll be a good backup safety.

Borland was a luxury pick.

Marcus Martin might be a day one starter, can't be upset about that for a 3rd rounder.

Jimmie Ward is a playmaker. The only negative about him is that he launches. Once that is corrected he could start in the slot or more preferably be that other safety to combo with Reid. I think that tandem could be a top three in the league.

Keith Reaser is becoming my favorite pick for the 49ers. He's got the look of a shadow corner. I got to see more cutups of him though, maybe I'll even make one or two of my own.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favorite pick - Marcus Martin - I love this pick. He will compete with Kilgore to start at Center and if that fails he adds much needed depth to the interior OL.

Least Favorite pick - Bruce Ellington - Out of all of the WR's in this draft we picked the guy who was one of my least favorites. IMO he's playing out of position. He fits the RB mold better and struggles to use his hands catching the ball. He's a body catch guy with mediocre route running. He's possibly the most over rated player I've seen in recent memory. It looks like we drafted him for his return ability, which is over reaching IMO.

WTF were you thinking pick - There are so many. I'm going with EJ Gaines and Brandon Coleman. Two guys I really liked that we passed on for several rounds.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about this all day and I have this draft between C+ to a B-. So I will go with a B based on the future and Johnson. I think we got a lot of great value picks and drafted a lot of players with a high ceiling. I don't think we get much help form this class this year but I think the future looks bright with this class. Also have to throw in the Johnson trade and this is what pushed me to a B overall. Johnson is a great pick up. I think today was the best day in the draft by the 49ers. I wish we traded more but we took some redshirt guys and some guys that can turn into starters if they get the right coaching and took some special team talent.

Fav pick: Hyde (yes I didn't think we needed this pick at the 2nd rd but the kid is very talented and should help us in the future.) Even though I hate USC I think Martin is a nice pick up. He has a shot to start from day one.

Worst pick: Ward ( not because I don't think he isn't good I just think he was a reach in the 1st rd. Thought he would of been there in the 2nd rd.) I think this is fair because no one had the 49ers taking him. There was some nice talent on the board that we could of took or draft up when Dennard fell or went up and at least took Varrett.

Sleeper pick: A. Lynch(great upside) I also think B. Thomas is a nice redshirt pick. He was a early 2nd rd talent. If he didn't get hurt he would of been gone.

Conclusion: They didn't draft any player that I really wanted and I expected us to make some noise in this draft so I was upset but overall they did draft some talent. Like I said before S. Johnson was my fav part of this whole thing.

B is my Final grade.

Lets Go 49ers

I have to disagree here, I think it was Borland and not because he was a bad pick but because they could have drafted a starting NT for the next 10 years and instead passed that up for a special teamer that can spell the starters or cover the fort when they are injured.

Also gave a B grade because they traded for Johnson.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I give it a C.

We should have never traded out causing us to lose out on Dri Archer. I also thought that Telvin Smith would have been the better pick for us because he is the best LB in this draft when it comes to coverage (we put a lot of pressure on our backs to cover, and TS would have excelled at that in our scheme). He is still raw and not yet maxed out - looking at his frame he probably could easily add an additional 15/20 healthy pounds.

We somewhat Odee'd with the defensive back unit.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I give it a C.

We should have never traded out causing us to lose out on Dri Archer. I also thought that Telvin Smith would have been the better pick for us because he is the best LB in this draft when it comes to coverage (we put a lot of pressure on our backs to cover, and TS would have excelled at that in our scheme). He is still raw and not yet maxed out - looking at his frame he probably could easily add an additional 15/20 healthy pounds.

We somewhat Odee'd with the defensive back unit.

This should give it a "B" alone.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This should give it a "B" alone.

I guess, if it means that it will push Culliver's bum a$$ out the door.

But seriously, at the end of the day, all of them will not be able to get on the field. I don't see us dressing 14 DBs every Sundays.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree here, I think it was Borland and not because he was a bad pick but because they could have drafted a starting NT for the next 10 years and instead passed that up for a special teamer that can spell the starters or cover the fort when they are injured.

Also gave a B grade because they traded for Johnson.

I don't understand why so many people on this board love NT's. They only play 40-45% of the snaps. Run stuffers don't really do much for me in this passing era. Niners have shown they can plug anybody in there and make them perform good in their system.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We drafted DB quantity... not sure about quality that verdict is still out.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why so many people on this board love NT's. They only play 40-45% of the snaps. Run stuffers don't really do much for me in this passing era. Niners have shown they can plug anybody in there and make them perform good in their system.

Sure you can plug guys in but getting a guy with first round talent in the 3rd round at a position that to my is a little bit of a question mark makes too much sense. Also the NT takes on blockers so your pass rushers can get to the QB so they do plenty in a passing era, just not flashy.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Borland but Im taking Badgers word on it. He said he is a very good player.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all I love this draft. A(B+ draft but Stevie brings it to an A)

Nickel corner was a huge weakness and they filled it nicely with Ward.

Hyde is a great pick and the back of the future but he'll also play a role this season.

Martin should be the starting C.

Borland will replace Boobie on ST and should be a solid backup. Might even be a starter down the road.

3 redshirt guys with Thomas being a strong possibility to replace Iupati.

High upside guy in Lynch.

Then a crapload of DB's too fight it out in training camp. Hopefully one of them pans out and becomes a decent starter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure you can plug guys in but getting a guy with first round talent in the 3rd round at a position that to my is a little bit of a question mark makes too much sense. Also the NT takes on blockers so your pass rushers can get to the QB so they do plenty in a passing era, just not flashy.

We had a shot to land Nix in the 3rd. That would of been an amazing pick. He would gave us a 1st rd talent who just needs to get into shape at that position. There is a reason our run defense wasn't the same last year. 2 years ago when we had the right NT no one could run the ball on us. What was that stat, we didn't give up a rushing TD until week 16 I think it was against seattle.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all I love this draft. A(B+ draft but Stevie brings it to an A)

Nickel corner was a huge weakness and they filled it nicely with Ward.

Hyde is a great pick and the back of the future but he'll also play a role this season.

Martin should be the starting C.

Borland will replace Boobie on ST and should be a solid backup. Might even be a starter down the road.

3 redshirt guys with Thomas being a strong possibility to replace Iupati.

High upside guy in Lynch.

Then a crapload of DB's too fight it out in training camp. Hopefully one of them pans out and becomes a decent starter.

I hope ward turns out to be solid for us. I just think it was a reach. He was graded out as a 2nd rd talent. I just don't like how small and lack of strength he has. Im not sure he wins the slot position. We will find out. I do think the kid has talent just don't know if it was a good 1st rd pick.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's there to take on blockers so the LB's can tackle an RB. He's not helping the pass rushers during actual passing downs cuz he's off the field.