• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Draft Grade

What grade do you give the 2023 Lions draft effort?

• A. The coaches and management out kicked their coverage this time.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • B. Better than I expected, but still needs work.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • C. Meh.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • D. If this keeps up, there will be (another) regime change in 2024

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • F. Where’s Millen when you need him?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am OK with a trade down if they felt Carter was not mentally strong enough but not a RB and then trade Swift for next to nothing. The Lions weight RB way more than most teams because of there offensive scheme but no way would I have done that. Take Gonzales and then I am OK with Campbell at 18. Gibbs would have still been there at 34 IMO. LaPorta would have been there later in the second too. We got lucky that Branch slipped to us.
Swift wanted out when Gibbs was drafted and what they got for a oft injured rb seems about right.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft was terrible.

How dare they not go by Mel Kiper's big board.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft was terrible.

How dare they not go by Mel Kiper's big board.
Sarcasm is awesome when arguing against points literally nobody has made. At no point was the issue where the players are ranked, it was value of the position. That isn't a Mel Kiper thing, that is a universally agreed upon thing.

Peoples main complaints are positional value, ignoring needs, and preference for other players. The 3rd kind of vaguely falls into your statement if you squint hard enough.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sarcasm is awesome when arguing against points literally nobody has made. At no point was the issue where the players are ranked, it was value of the position. That isn't a Mel Kiper thing, that is a universally agreed upon thing.

Peoples main complaints are positional value, ignoring needs, and preference for other players. The 3rd kind of vaguely falls into your statement if you squint hard enough.

Then how does everyone know how far all these picks would fall? Everybody seems to know that we could have drafted all these players with our next pick.

By the way, I'm one of the sticklers for positional value. But I'm not retarded enough to fall for the running backs don't matter banality.

Doesn't really matter though. Everybody's an expert these days.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then how does everyone know how far all these picks would fall? Everybody seems to know that we could have drafted all these players with our next pick.

By the way, I'm one of the sticklers for positional value. But I'm not retarded enough to fall for the running backs don't matter banality.

Doesn't really matter though. Everybody's an expert these days.
Nobody has ever said they don't matter. That is dumb. People do say good runningbacks can be found in any round. It is more true for that spot than anywhere else. The reason they don't usually go early in the first is that their effective shelf life is significantly shorter than any other position.

For reference. Draft Network has him as the 6 overall prospect, CBS at 14, Kiper18, athlon 16. Literally nobody thinks it was a reach on talent. The belief that he would drop is 100% based on positional value. Which just about everyone agrees on. Holmes claim that a team that drafted a guy in the running for rookie of the year last year would have taken him at 15 is clearly not true.

I am no expert, but I can at least argue against actual points made, not against imaginary points nobody made.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has ever said they don't matter. That is dumb. People do say good runningbacks can be found in any round. It is more true for that spot than anywhere else. The reason they don't usually go early in the first is that their effective shelf life is significantly shorter than any other position.

For reference. Draft Network has him as the 6 overall prospect, CBS at 14, Kiper18, athlon 16. Literally nobody thinks it was a reach on talent. The belief that he would drop is 100% based on positional value. Which just about everyone agrees on. Holmes claim that a team that drafted a guy in the running for rookie of the year last year would have taken him at 15 is clearly not true.

I am no expert, but I can at least argue against actual points made, not against imaginary points nobody made.

I guess you only read the Lions board. People say running backs don't matter all the time.

It appears that I value running backs more than most. Also, I believe that when Kiper and company give their rankings, they take positional value into account.

"We could have had Gibbs at 18, Campbell at 34." Yeah. Nobody ever said this. :rolleyes2:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you only read the Lions board. People say running backs don't matter all the time.

It appears that I value running backs more than most. Also, I believe that when Kiper and company give their rankings, they take positional value into account.

"We could have had Gibbs at 18, Campbell at 34." Yeah. Nobody ever said this. :rolleyes2:
Those statements are based off positional value, not kipers rankings. I don't care if you disagree with people's takes, just try and base it on actual arguments over inventing your own.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those statements are based off positional value, not kipers rankings. I don't care if you disagree with people's takes, just try and base it on actual arguments over inventing your own.
In his defense, he has never lost an argument with himself.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i do GIF