• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Draft Grade

What grade do you give the 2023 Lions draft effort?

• A. The coaches and management out kicked their coverage this time.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • B. Better than I expected, but still needs work.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • C. Meh.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • D. If this keeps up, there will be (another) regime change in 2024

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • F. Where’s Millen when you need him?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’ve had a couple days to digest the 2023 draft. I’m curious what you feel the overall grade is based on all seven rounds. No pluses or minuses, just a straight up grade. No explanations needed (Smitty, we already know they didn’t draft the kicker), however, comments are welcome (OK Smitty, tell us why we needed that kicker).

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question Lions added talent in positions where they needed it, but all the talent is in low priority positions. I think during the season the Lions draft class will show out on the stats, but it will still ultimately feel hollow.

That being said, I don't think Campbell was a reach, I said months ago I would be fine with him at 18.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kicker would’ve added more than the giant guy who doesn’t tackle people who we took ahead of him.

I can’t say D on the poll because I don’t think these guys get fired that fast.

But with these two firsts and JaMo who will have one reception 23 games after being drafted, they should realize some things.

Big fan of adding Mo Ibrahim as a UDFA though. If that counts.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very Millen-esque draft on paper.

Reaches, trade-ups for reaches, trenches later in the draft.

Now, if the 7th round talent Holmes took in the 3rd round, after giving up 2 additional draft picks for the privilege of doing so, turns out to be a decent player, then at least something good would have come from it. But for now, that bit of business earns an F that Millen would be proud of.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say C+. They reached a lot, especially 1st and 3rd picks. They gave up too much in trades too. They did get some good players though. UDFAs have some keepers too which is the reason for the +.

Best pick: S Branch AL at 45
Worst pick: OL Sandsorval from college unknown at 152.

The latter may be the worst pick in Lions history.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say C+. They reached a lot, especially 1st and 3rd picks. They gave up too much in trades too. They did get some good players though. UDFAs have some keepers too which is the reason for the +.

Best pick: S Branch AL at 45
Worst pick: OL Sandsorval from college unknown at 152.

The latter may be the worst pick in Lions history.
This is not anything I can speak on personally, but Duke Manyweather is extremely respected as an Oline analysts and said this.

I don't know if it works out, but there have been several more oline people that have praise for the pick. I hated it at first, but others who know more that are not associated with the Lions love it.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not anything I can speak on personally, but Duke Manyweather is extremely respected as an Oline analysts and said this.

I don't know if it works out, but there have been several more oline people that have praise for the pick. I hated it at first, but others who know more that are not associated with the Lions love it.
I saw that too. Those folks are free to have their own opinion and just as likely to be wrong. He is a smaller weaker version of Stenberg. Hope I am wrong but I saw him play RI. Didnt notice him at all. His competition is not going to be guys from Towson, Campbell, or Hampton. These are bottom of the barrel schools that good D2 teams will beat.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just didn't get anything they did.
There's no denying Gibbs has talent and is going to do good things on the field, but all appearances are they just took part of a rbbc in the first round. There's a reason RB's fall in the draft now, but if a cast-off like Jamal Williams can set franchise records on this team then Gibbs has the potential to set league records.

Again, there's no denying that Campbell has talent, and he was a much more needed upgrade. But was he significantly better than Trenton Simpson, Drew Sanders, Daiyan Henley? Because those guys were all viewed in the same range as him pre-draft and all 3 of them ended up going 3rd round. Maybe the mental stuff and attitude and character and all that stuff we don't see pushed him way up the Lions board, and I can be ok with that. And I'm definitely ok with pushing Alex Anzalone off the field. But just felt like they could have gotten this guy later.

This past season they had Pro-Bowler TJ Hockenson on their team. I haven't heard anything about him being a distraction or bad teammate or asking for a trade. I do know his numbers were down, and they didn't really use/value him as much in this offense. They traded him for a late 2nd round pick. Then in a deep TE draft, with a core complete type TE on the board in Mayer, and more of a blocking TE who could catch on the board in Washington they chose discount TJ Hockenson with a pick higher than the onevthey got for trading him. Yes he's a starter and an upgrade, but I see zero impact from this pick at all and it just didn't make any fucking sense to me.

Branch a lot of people have called our best draft pick. I like him a lot and like the pick. But you know going in that he's limited. All these boundary corners in this draft, or at least potential starters and we took a guy who will only ever be a nickel. We need a nicklleback it's pretty much a starting position now. Pretty much. But I would have loved it more as a compliment to another corner, not as our only pick.

Hendon Hooker. Again it didn't make any sense to me. Too early of a pick to use on a guy who you only ever want to be a backup. You should still be getting contributors in the 3rd round. We picked a guy who is injured and needs to rehab to get back to where he was in college. Once he's back he can start learning how to be an NFL QB, and then he's nearing retirement age. He barely younger than our starter, so he's not the QB of the future. But he's an injured rookie, so he's not the backup that can just step in if the starter gets injured.

I dont know enough about the rest of the picks. Hopefully they did their research. Hopefully we get some sort of contribution at least from the DT, that rotation needs help.

Just overall it all kinda felt like our porridge was too hot or too cold. We didn't ever find Goldilocks just right.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Bang Theory Team GIF

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just didn't get anything they did.
There's no denying Gibbs has talent and is going to do good things on the field, but all appearances are they just took part of a rbbc in the first round. There's a reason RB's fall in the draft now, but if a cast-off like Jamal Williams can set franchise records on this team then Gibbs has the potential to set league records.

Again, there's no denying that Campbell has talent, and he was a much more needed upgrade. But was he significantly better than Trenton Simpson, Drew Sanders, Daiyan Henley? Because those guys were all viewed in the same range as him pre-draft and all 3 of them ended up going 3rd round. Maybe the mental stuff and attitude and character and all that stuff we don't see pushed him way up the Lions board, and I can be ok with that. And I'm definitely ok with pushing Alex Anzalone off the field. But just felt like they could have gotten this guy later.

This past season they had Pro-Bowler TJ Hockenson on their team. I haven't heard anything about him being a distraction or bad teammate or asking for a trade. I do know his numbers were down, and they didn't really use/value him as much in this offense. They traded him for a late 2nd round pick. Then in a deep TE draft, with a core complete type TE on the board in Mayer, and more of a blocking TE who could catch on the board in Washington they chose discount TJ Hockenson with a pick higher than the onevthey got for trading him. Yes he's a starter and an upgrade, but I see zero impact from this pick at all and it just didn't make any fucking sense to me.

Branch a lot of people have called our best draft pick. I like him a lot and like the pick. But you know going in that he's limited. All these boundary corners in this draft, or at least potential starters and we took a guy who will only ever be a nickel. We need a nicklleback it's pretty much a starting position now. Pretty much. But I would have loved it more as a compliment to another corner, not as our only pick.

Hendon Hooker. Again it didn't make any sense to me. Too early of a pick to use on a guy who you only ever want to be a backup. You should still be getting contributors in the 3rd round. We picked a guy who is injured and needs to rehab to get back to where he was in college. Once he's back he can start learning how to be an NFL QB, and then he's nearing retirement age. He barely younger than our starter, so he's not the QB of the future. But he's an injured rookie, so he's not the backup that can just step in if the starter gets injured.

I dont know enough about the rest of the picks. Hopefully they did their research. Hopefully we get some sort of contribution at least from the DT, that rotation needs help.

Just overall it all kinda felt like our porridge was too hot or too cold. We didn't ever find Goldilocks just right.

Gotta say, I agree with pretty much all of this. That said, I'll see how it shakes out, but overall, I thought a lot of this was smartest guy in the room type moves.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very Millen-esque draft on paper.

Reaches, trade-ups for reaches, trenches later in the draft.

Now, if the 7th round talent Holmes took in the 3rd round, after giving up 2 additional draft picks for the privilege of doing so, turns out to be a decent player, then at least something good would have come from it. But for now, that bit of business earns an F that Millen would be proud of.
I don't agree with this, because when Millen drafted way out of slot he also did not draft talent. Holmes at least is bringing in talented players.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with this, because when Millen drafted way out of slot he also did not draft talent. Holmes at least is bringing in talented players.

That's why I said 'on paper'. I agree that Holmes did quite well with the majority of his picks in '21 and '22. But this is the first draft where he reached for picks. And in Martin's case, it was a big reach that was compounded by the trading up to do it. If it's Millen, we know the player will flop. With Holmes, the player may turn out be good. Hopefully so. But it was still a reach pick, and the type of thing Millen did.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do also want to point out that Jamrcus Russell is not in the Hall of Fame. Best QB prospect ever. On paper. On paper "Rodrigo" is just an athleticly limited LB who might provide some depth to our ST. On paper. But the game isn't played on paper. So I try to give the benefit of the doubt a little bit. If they are that good of a locker room guy, or that smart, or that motivated or whatever I can certainly see drafting them a bit earlier than their production and athletic profile would indicate.

Some picks still don't make sense to me, but the value and where they were drafted I can be a little more lenient on.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw some video on Mo Ibrahim. How the hell did no one draft him? I will bet he makes the roster.

• Bullseye
Reactions: Rob

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw some video on Mo Ibrahim. How the hell did no one draft him? I will bet he makes the roster.
Mo better be on the roster! He is super talented. And I love the Craig Reynolds story, but he isn't anything special.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave the draft a C.

Overall I fear we have too much "Dan Campbell loved the character" talk. Did we rule out more talented players because Campbell had a man-crush on a few try-hard guys?

Gibbs will make big plays. I pray he is more durable than Swift. Is he JaMo's buddy? Could Gibbs help straighten out the star?

Is Jack Campbell a beast? I didn't see it on the YouTube before the draft.

LaPorta was just a few picks after Kincaid. Kincaid is the stud receiving TE in this draft IMO. LaPorta just looks like a slightly better version of James Mitchell to me. I wish we would have moved up a few spots to nab Kincaid (if we had to take a TE).

Branch is a good pick at 45. Branch is a potential big upgrade over Will Harris! He and Campbell really strengthen the back-7 w/r/t run stopping.

I love the Hooker pick. If Hooker's talent is undeniable then he can become the franchise QB or be traded for a 1/2 rounder. If he stinks then oh well. It is a home run swing with a 3rd rounder.

Is Holmes the smartest guy in the room?

Last edited:

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what i saw we were over 100 pts to the bad on the 6 for 12 swap, which should have been a late 3rd. We could have easily taken the best dt or cb available at 12, gotten gibbs at 18 or even traded back and still got him, taken campbell at 34 and branch at 48 and laporta at 55. Then to waste picks to get back into third for a guy who would have been there in the 5th is nuts.

I will happily eat crow if these guys work out, but i just feel like we gave away 4 picks in this draft with bad trades and unnecessary trade ups and fail to trade back

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ruptured his Achilles in the first game of 2021.

Definitely seemed to be all the way back last year.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started this thread and cast the first response as an “A” for this draft. The first two picks initially had me wondering if someone was off their meds. It wasn’t following the script; with Witherspoon gone at five, the Lions were supposed to go Gonzales or Carter, not trade down and then take a running back. However, I’ve tried to look at this through other perspectives, and I’ve warmed up to what Holmes is doing.

More often than not I want the team to pick the BPA. Admittedly, I don’t know the teams strengths and weaknesses as well as management or some of the board members here do (or at least, seem to). It seems that there are very few players that were not one of the BPA’s for their position. I’m not concerned about winning the annual NFL draft; I want to see the Lions’ assigned the last pick in the first round because they earned it. If that means they say “F the pundits, this is our guy” then do it. Build a team to win in the Fall, not in the Spring.

I fully understand that not every pick will pan out. It was a head slap moment when I saw JAMO suspended for gambling; fortunately, it was more like he was suspended for being foolish, betting on college games while still at team facilities. Yet, the balance to this possible first round miss was finding others deeper in that same draft who contributed above expectations.

I think this year‘s picks, especially the first two rounds, have great potential to give all of us reason to cheer. And hopefully, less reason for someone to start the “Never Too Early To Talk Draft” topic.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started this thread and cast the first response as an “A” for this draft. The first two picks initially had me wondering if someone was off their meds. It wasn’t following the script; with Witherspoon gone at five, the Lions were supposed to go Gonzales or Carter, not trade down and then take a running back. However, I’ve tried to look at this through other perspectives, and I’ve warmed up to what Holmes is doing.

More often than not I want the team to pick the BPA. Admittedly, I don’t know the teams strengths and weaknesses as well as management or some of the board members here do (or at least, seem to). It seems that there are very few players that were not one of the BPA’s for their position. I’m not concerned about winning the annual NFL draft; I want to see the Lions’ assigned the last pick in the first round because they earned it. If that means they say “F the pundits, this is our guy” then do it. Build a team to win in the Fall, not in the Spring.

I fully understand that not every pick will pan out. It was a head slap moment when I saw JAMO suspended for gambling; fortunately, it was more like he was suspended for being foolish, betting on college games while still at team facilities. Yet, the balance to this possible first round miss was finding others deeper in that same draft who contributed above expectations.

I think this year‘s picks, especially the first two rounds, have great potential to give all of us reason to cheer. And hopefully, less reason for someone to start the “Never Too Early To Talk Draft” topic.
I am OK with a trade down if they felt Carter was not mentally strong enough but not a RB and then trade Swift for next to nothing. The Lions weight RB way more than most teams because of there offensive scheme but no way would I have done that. Take Gonzales and then I am OK with Campbell at 18. Gibbs would have still been there at 34 IMO. LaPorta would have been there later in the second too. We got lucky that Branch slipped to us.