• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FBS going to split in half?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if those teams aren't spending the money on their football programs. You don't want the Oakland A's in the league, if it looks like they are going to be the cheap team in the league, that just cashes checks when the tv revenue comes in. By forcing teams to spend money and having a cap, you can create a system like the NFL. I imagine that is their goal with the idea of a new subdivision.
Maybe we're talking about different things here. What I was talking about was, by definition, SOMEbody has to be the worst team in the league, no matter how much money they spend.

Let's say we have a league made up of the following teams:
Bama
Georgia
Ohio State
Michigan
Florida State
Clemson
Texas
Oklahoma
Southern Cal
Washington

If they all play each other, we're either going to have every team being 5-4, or 4-5...OR, we're going to have a couple of teams that are 7-2, and a couple who are 2-7. Nobody is going undefeated.

Is it more likely that the Georgias and Michigans of the world want to take the chance on being that 2-7 team in any given year? Or more likely that they want some tomato cans to kick around? If it's pay to play that's fine, long as everybody understands the risk of looking like a bad team on occasion. But then the league has to sell everybody on a national championship game between a couple of teams with multiple losses. We accept that in the NFL, I'm not sure college football is ready for that.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we're talking about different things here. What I was talking about was, by definition, SOMEbody has to be the worst team in the league, no matter how much money they spend.

Bama
Georgia
Ohio State
Michigan
Florida State
Clemson
Texas
Oklahoma
Southern Cal
Washington

If they all play each other, we're either going to have every team being 5-4, or 4-5...OR, we're going to have a couple of teams that are 7-2, and a couple who are 2-7. Nobody is going undefeated.

Is it more likely that the Georgias and Michigans of the world want to take the chance on being that 2-7 team in any given year? Or more likely that they want some tomato cans to kick around? If it's pay to play that's fine, long as everybody understands the risk of looking like a bad team on occasion. But then the league has to sell everybody on a national championship game between a couple of teams with multiple losses. We accept that in the NFL, I'm not sure college football is ready for that.

The days of undefeated teams are likely to end with the SEC and B1G mergers, especially if they raid the ACC. That's why they created a 12 team playoff. So teams would schedule better games and not have to worry about losing them.

College football is such an untapped resource, but they know they've got to get rid of most the "won the game when you scheduled it" matchups. When you're a top 25 program and you have 8-9 games that are slam dunk wins each season, it's easy to see why the NFL draws significantly more fans to their games than college. I mean part of it is that the NFL has all the superior players, but the other part is that college programs play WAY too many insignificant games. This would help change that, and allow the top teams to play more top teams each season. Those are the games people tune in to watch.

Level the playing field financially, with teams that all have similar revenues. Force those teams to spend their tv money on the football program (you could make that amount the salary cap). Make sure that those teams continue to generate high revenue, which means they will have to do a lot of promotion of the program in the community...which equals...a bigger tv audience...which equals more tv revenue money.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The days of undefeated teams are likely to end with the SEC and B1G mergers, especially if they raid the ACC. That's why they created a 12 team playoff. So teams would schedule better games and not have to worry about losing them.

College football is such an untapped resource, but they know they've got to get rid of most the "won the game when you scheduled it" matchups. When you're a top 25 program and you have 8-9 games that are slam dunk wins each season, it's easy to see why the NFL draws significantly more fans to their games than college. I mean part of it is that the NFL has all the superior players, but the other part is that college programs play WAY too many insignificant games. This would help change that, and allow the top teams to play more top teams each season. Those are the games people tune in to watch.

Level the playing field financially, with teams that all have similar revenues. Force those teams to spend their tv money on the football program (you could make that amount the salary cap). Make sure that those teams continue to generate high revenue, which means they will have to do a lot of promotion of the program in the community...which equals...a bigger tv audience...which equals more tv revenue money.
It's all cool but if they try to go head-to-head against the NFL, they'll get crushed

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon now, it's like saying, "you don't have to buy your way into the club, but you have to have a certain income to come in." It's saying the same thing. They only want big money programs in.

Here is what I could see happening. Here are the top 10 football revenue programs from 2022 (https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...rts-rankings-by-revenue-2022-ohio-state-texas). I could see this new subdivision establishing a floor of let's say $100 million in revenue or so. Also, each program would have to spend it's entire tv revenue on the football program. I just don't see programs like Vandy having that kind of revenue and signing up to spend that kind of money either. Again, I don't know what it means, but when they put in the about the "highest-resource schools", that tells me they don't want the lower resourced programs involved.

That link..... "Playoff semifinal, where they played a dramatic, close game against top-ranked Georgia" :lol:

But what are we going to do when Florida St cries foul???

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all cool but if they try to go head-to-head against the NFL, they'll get crushed
It’s not about head to head, it’s about closing the gap. They aren’t in direct competition. They rarely play on the same night. Big college games draw NFL type numbers. Why not create more big games?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That link..... "Playoff semifinal, where they played a dramatic, close game against top-ranked Georgia" :lol:

But what are we going to do when Florida St cries foul???
Huh? That link doesn’t take you there, does it?

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You got way to much energy for this topic...

The SEC and B10 are not merger and are not raiding the ACC... and stop worrying about where the schools spend their tv money...

You need to be calculating how to spin the ass whipping your boys are in store for...and somehow still feel like a blue blood..

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The SEC and B10 are not merger and are not raiding the ACC... and stop worrying about where the schools spend their tv money...

You need to be calculating how to spin the ass whipping your boys are in store for...and somehow still feel like a blue blood..
Yeah, and who thought a few years ago the PAC 12 would fold?

FSU and Clemson seem to be actively trying to get out of the ACC. I’d actually be shocked if the ACC doesn’t dramatically change in the next 5 years. This announcement just confirms my thoughts about it happening.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By the way, I live near Mercer in Macon, and I’m friends with their AD. They play Alabama, and Auburn the past few years. They said your Ole Miss team was the fastest they had played. Kiffin looks like he is getting them ready to be a playoff team next year. Definitely top 10 program right now. Maybe Michigan will play them in the near future.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bama
Georgia
Ohio State
Michigan
Florida State
Clemson
Texas
Oklahoma
Southern Cal
Washington

Yes - It is going to be NFL-lite.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If this split of FBS happens, the SEC and Big10 won't have to raid any conferences. Conferences as a whole as we know them today will die. It will be a complete reformulation of high level college football.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this split of FBS happens, the SEC and Big10 won't have to raid any conferences. Conferences as a whole as we know them today will die. It will be a complete reformulation of high level college football.
With the NIL and transfer portal, it has to go this way. Too much financial advantage for the big revenue producing programs.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the NIL and transfer portal, it has to go this way. Too much financial advantage for the big revenue producing programs.
Exactly. And the Vandys and Wake Forests and Northwesterns of the world are not going to meet the threshold.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already read some of the, "This is good. They are finally acknowledging what we always knew college football was!" comments and call me naive, but that acknowledgement and all that has come with it has ruined what was unique about college football. You want a 40 team mega-league with highly recruited backups shuffling schools by the thousands every year? Good on you! I can't stand this. I cannot put a finger on exactly when we reached the point of no return on $$$ and the media ruining college football, but it is officially ruined.

The regular season? Means nothing

Verbal commits? Means nothing

5 star signs with your school and enrolls as a freshman? Means nothing

Winning your conference? Means nothing

Going to a bowl game? Means nothing

The ONLY thing that matters is having the ability to pay college athletes out the wazu, and making the playoff. It has been reduced to that.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already read some of the, "This is good. They are finally acknowledging what we always knew college football was!" comments and call me naive, but that acknowledgement and all that has come with it has ruined what was unique about college football. You want a 40 team mega-league with highly recruited backups shuffling schools by the thousands every year? Good on you! I can't stand this. I cannot put a finger on exactly when we reached the point of no return on $$$ and the media ruining college football, but it is officially ruined.

The regular season? Means nothing

Verbal commits? Means nothing

5 star signs with your school and enrolls as a freshman? Means nothing

Winning your conference? Means nothing

Going to a bowl game? Means nothing

The ONLY thing that matters is having the ability to pay college athletes out the wazu, and making the playoff. It has been reduced to that.
Let’s be honest, the top programs have been paying athletes for years. Now it’s just out in the open.

I like the future of college football. 80% of the regular season games have been meaningless. The top 20 programs won 8-9 of their games the day they scheduled them.

I look forward to seasons where the top teams have 7-8 games that are actually competitive…similar to the NFL.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s be honest, the top programs have been paying athletes for years. Now it’s just out in the open.

I like the future of college football. 80% of the regular season games have been meaningless. The top 20 programs won 8-9 of their games the day they scheduled them.

I look forward to seasons where the top teams have 7-8 games that are actually competitive…similar to the NFL.

I get it, but at the same time, any pretense of a football player being a student athlete is, of course, completely gone. They are more or less professionals now. The football teams are essentially just representing their respective schools in name only. And sure, maybe I'm naive. Maybe I'm that kid who believed in Santa Claus until I was 13 or 14, even though all evidence pointed to his non-existence. Same here. I actually cared about the guise of student athletes, BEING student athletes. With the transfer portal, NIL, and the destruction of basically all but two major conferences, I don't recognize this at all anymore and I don't much care for it. Everything that was uniquely "college" about college football is pretty much gone IMO.

I mean my school will ultimately have a seat at the table somewhere and I guess I'll follow along in that respect to support my school, but as far as being the huge college football fan I have been for the last 40 years, I just can't be enthusiastic over the way this system looks.

Disclaimer: I know you don't care whether I watch or not, just venting. :D

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, but at the same time, any pretense of a football player being a student athlete is, of course, completely gone. They are more or less professionals now. The football teams are essentially just representing their respective schools in name only. And sure, maybe I'm naive. Maybe I'm that kid who believed in Santa Claus until I was 13 or 14, even though all evidence pointed to his non-existence. Same here. I actually cared about the guise of student athletes, BEING student athletes. With the transfer portal, NIL, and the destruction of basically all but two major conferences, I don't recognize this at all anymore and I don't much care for it. Everything that was uniquely "college" about college football is pretty much gone IMO.

I mean my school will ultimately have a seat at the table somewhere and I guess I'll follow along in that respect to support my school, but as far as being the huge college football fan I have been for the last 40 years, I just can't be enthusiastic over the way this system looks.

Disclaimer: I know you don't care whether I watch or not, just venting. :D

Yeah, the pretense of them being a student athlete has not been a reality in decades. I understand your disappointment, but the college game was getting boring. When a team like Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc have 80% of their games played against clearly inferior opponents, it's tough to keep fans excited. I live near Georgia, and I know a lot of season ticket holders who try to sell 4-5 games a year, because those teams have zero chance at winning.

College football is growing, but if they want an explosive growth, give the fans games that matter each week. No team should play more than 2-3 cupcakes a season. The rest should be legitimate, competitive games. Often the only time some of those games are competitive is when the with the most talent plays awful. Most times, even in those games, they still manage to win the game.

If you shrink the pool of this subdivision to 40-50 teams, establish a NIL cap, make stricter rules on the transfer portal, and force teams to invest in the program (not just be a leach that takes tv money, but doesn't improve their team), then you can have an NFL-lite. I too think you can still keep a lot of the rivalries alive too.

I like the future potential of college football with a new subdivision. Just get rid of the NCAA.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or does it seem like this is a last-ditch effort by the NCAA to remain relevant before current litigation forces them to become unemployed?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or does it seem like this is a last-ditch effort by the NCAA to remain relevant before current litigation forces them to become unemployed?

I do think this is the NCAA coming public with an idea that the presidents of these universities have been talking about for a while. It feels like they want it to be their idea, and then they can manage it. I think the SEC and B1G would love to dump the NCAA for football. They can still manage all the other sports, but they definitely don't need them for football.