• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Farewell seniors thread.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Post articles, pictures, videos, whatever about the guys we will lose this year.

(might as well throw Jayron and Wilson in the list as well)

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Danny Coale, Jarrett Boykin are a perfect 1-2 punch for Virginia Tech - The Washington Post

#family

Boykin was supposed to deliver the pre-game speech, but always reticent about public speaking, he was afraid he might stutter and not be taken seriously. He asked Coale to take his place.

“I’ve been through his struggles, he’s been through mine,” Coale said. “He’s a guy that I know I can count on, whether it’s five years from now, I just know I can count on him and he’ll be there. I know when I look back, part of my Tech experience is going to be him.”

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Speaking of Danny Coale, heres a pretty good write up about him from David Teel @ the Daily Press.

Jimmy Coale vividly recalls the camps and disappointments. Virginia and Wake Forest. Vanderbilt and North Carolina State.

Major conference football programs just weren't interested in his middle son, a modestly sized receiver.
No matter that Danny Coale ran smart, fast routes and rarely dropped a pass. No matter that he was an outstanding student.

Family connections didn't even help. Danny's older brother was a lacrosse player at Virginia. A former teammate of Jimmy's was an assistant coach at Vanderbilt.

"I couldn't even convince him Danny was worth taking," Jimmy said of his Vandy friend.

Was Jimmy blinded by parental love? Was Danny not as good as his father believed?

Well, Jimmy knows talent when he sees it. He played football at Springfield (Mass.) College. He's been the strength and conditioning coach for VMI's athletic department since 1979.

"As a dad it's hard to be objective about your own kids," Jimmy said. "When Danny was in high school we'd go to these recruiting camps, and it seemed to me that Danny would time as well as anybody, if not better, and catch everything that they threw to him.

"But nobody was willing to pull the trigger (on a scholarship offer). Toward the end of it, Danny was getting discouraged. He didn't know what else he had to do."

All he had to do, turns out, is flash those skills during a one-day camp at Virginia Tech in the summer of 2006. The Hokies offered, and Coale accepted, commencing one of the worthiest careers in program history.

Entering his final college game, Tuesday's Sugar Bowl against Michigan, the 6-foot, 200-pound Coale ranks second all-time at Tech, behind teammate Jarrett Boykin, in receptions and yards. This season, he's a second-team Academic All-American and the ACC's football scholar athlete of the year.

"I've been very fortunate and blessed, and I don't think I could have imagined it," Coale said of a career that's included two conference championships and three Bowl Championship Series appearances. "To get the opportunity that I've had from this coaching staff and from this community — it's been everything I could ask for."

Hokies coaches, players and fans hold Coale in similar regard, for how well he's represented his team, school and family, and for how well he's performed, often in the clutch. The 81-yard catch-and-run as a sophomore that set up the winning touchdown against Nebraska; the career-high 143 yards in last year's ACC championship game victory over Florida State; the last-resort, Pro Bowl-caliber punting this season at Virginia.

Coale's versatility and athleticism are products of nature, nurture and hard work.

He and his two brothers shadowed their dad at VMI, observing first-hand its physical and psychological challenges. They forged themselves into capable soccer, football, baseball and lacrosse players.

Danny so admired Kevin, his elder by three years, that he followed him to Episcopal High, a boarding school in Alexandria. This so he could spend one season catching passes from Kevin, a quarterback.

Kevin matriculated at Virginia to play lacrosse for Dom Starsia's national power, and Danny seemed destined to follow again — until Virginia Tech's football offer.

"He's worked himself into a really, really good player," said Mike O'Cain, the Hokies' play-caller and quarterbacks coach. "He came in probably a little overweight, got his weight down, every year his 40 times has gotten lower. He's gotten better running routes. …

"Now what's made the difference with him is, he's taken what the good Lord has given him and made it better and better and better every year. Just a special guy. He's smart. He's out there every day, just goes about his business. If you didn't see No. 19, you never would know he's there. …

"He's a pleasure to be around, a pleasure to coach, and he deserves every good thing that happens to him."

After redshirting in 2007, Coale made a mockery of his two-star prospect ranking. He caught a team-high 36 passes as a freshman and will start the Sugar Bowl with 154 receptions for 2,541 yards and seven touchdowns

"Danny is running down the field wide open more than anybody I can remember," Tech coach Frank Beamer said in a statement after Coale received the ACC academic award. "It's amazing. I think it is a credit to his effort, a credit to his instincts and a credit to his ability to find the open area. And for as good a player as he is, he is an even better person.

"He is the perfect example of what you are looking for. He gives you all he's got on the field, he has great character and he excels academically."

Coale has earned a degree in finance and is poised for another in marketing/management. Given those credentials, you might picture him in the business or investment world, raking in millions. But Coale envisions a simpler life, modeled after his father and older brother, who teaches middle school and coaches football and lacrosse near Atlanta.

"Coaches and teachers have been the most influential people in my life," Coale said. "I see myself doing that."

But first, he wants to "hold off the real world as long as possible," which translates to pursuing professional football.

"He's obviously not the flashiest guy out there," Jimmy Coale said. "But I think there are a number of people that appreciate what he's about and how he goes about doing it. He understands the game. … He understands how to create some space. He's got decent speed. He's got all the tools, I think, that you need in a receiver. He can go deep. … There's more to Danny than just that possession game.

"All he's ever asked for is an opportunity. He wanted an opportunity to play Division I ball at a big school, and he got it. He wants an opportunity to play at the next level, and we just hope somebody gives him that opportunity. … Because I think if he can get on with somebody, he'll have a shot."

Tech quarterback Logan Thomas seconds the motion.

"Danny, he's a great route runner," Thomas said. "He does everything smooth and perfectly, doesn't drop balls. I'd say he's a lot like a guy that plays for the Rams, Danny Amendola. Catches everything, gets up the field, and he runs great routes and gets open. If you need a receiver to catch the ball and be open, that'll be him."

Indeed, Virginia Tech couldn't have asked for much more than Danny Coale has given.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you start this! I know I'm gonna cry seeing all this Danny Coale stuff. I'm already tearing up.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Looks like David Wilson is already enjoying his future NFL success:

Ajd89CSCEAAlBE4.jpg

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for some reason i dont think he should have that car yet??

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for some reason i dont think he should have that car yet??
Guess he signed an agent and had the agent front him some cash or he used potential NFL contract as a collateral as a loan. Not too smart financially.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess he signed an agent and had the agent front him some cash or he used potential NFL contract as a collateral as a loan. Not too smart financially.

well Since he hired and agent he is no longer an NCAA athlete and can take money from whoever... maybe not smart but legal..

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JMHO, but low 1st-round or high 2nd-round money will purchase a lot of those toys.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMHO, but low 1st-round or high 2nd-round money will purchase a lot of those toys.

Ahh I really hope he doesn't fall into that trap. The number of former NFL players who become broke just years after they quit playing is staggering.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh I really hope he doesn't fall into that trap. The number of former NFL players who become broke just years after they quit playing is staggering.

If half the former-player retards that are on the air as analysts or contributors are any benchmark, someone as entertaining and well spoken as DW shouldn't have trouble finding work post NFL

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Danny Coale, heres a pretty good write up about him from David Teel @ the Daily Press.

Danny has pulled out of the Shrine Game due to a abdominal muscle injury. Hope this doesn't impact his draft stock.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny has pulled out of the Shrine Game due to a abdominal muscle injury. Hope this doesn't impact his draft stock.

Report on Twitter said he should be good to go for the combine and is currently training in ATL

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What Model is that?? Murcialago, Diablo??

Lamborghini Prices 2012 Aventador, Gallardo Range

"The 2012 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 coupe starts at $207,995 with a manual transmission or $217,095 with e-gear. The Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder is $231,395 with a manual and $240,495 with the e gear transmission."

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really hoping that's a loaner. HE'S ALREADY GOT A SWEET CAR!