• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fant4stic (Fantastic Four) (2015)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fantastic Four just suck. Period.

They could make 20 reboots and they'd all suck. I liked them when I was a little kid but when I got old enough to appreciate storytelling and more than just what a dude's powers were, their appeal died. They're pretty bland all around which is why they don't translate. What's odd is Dr. Doom is pretty badass. Marvel's movie division needs to figure out a way to rescue him from Fox (owns rights to FF and Xmen) and put him in a proper movie.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the hate for this movie. It wasn't great but it certainly wasn't the worst thing of all time as I've seen people call it. It was a hell of a lot better than the 2005 & 2007 movies.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sue Storm
Kate+Mara+photo-007.jpg

Her brother Johnny.
th

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the hate for this movie. It wasn't great but it certainly wasn't the worst thing of all time as I've seen people call it. It was a hell of a lot better than the 2005 & 2007 movies.

Surely you jest?

The 2005 movie was decent movie, not great, but worth the watch. The 2007 movie was just a giant bag of shit. The 2015 movie is on par with the 2007 movie, & might actually be worse.

I caught a stream of this movie today. For me, this was a really bad FF movie. It took a giant dump on the source material. The director/writer took FF & tried to turn it into Chronicle 2. FF is the wrong comic book to try to make a dark gritty movie with. That is absolute opposite of what the FF is all about.

Here are some of the problems I had:

-It's too serious.
-The opening 'origin' act is too long.
-The movie goes from the "origin" act. to skipping over them learning to harness their powers, to the "one year later" act 3 ending. There is no real middle act.
-Not enough action. After all, this is a comic book movie.
-Sue & Johnny Storm have no interaction with Grimm. They just do not converse with him at all throughout the movie.
-Teller & Bell are miscast as Reed & Grimm.
-Victor von Doom. They fucked him up in a big way. Do I need to say more?

There are far more issues I has a problems with, I just don't feel the need to list them all.

They need to stop with the origin reboot nonsense. If you want to reboot the movie, fine. But do it without retelling the story we've already seen countless times. Start the movie some time after their initial foray into becoming a superhero. Add different villains. FF has such a wide variety of rally intriguing villains to choose from that constantly rehashing & fucking up Victor von Doom turns people off from the movie.

I put this movie on par with Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, 2007 FF, & Superman Returns. Right behind Green Latern.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sue Storm

Her brother Johnny.

Cast a Mexican woman as Sue Storm and give her a blonde wig and blue contacts and no one bats an eye, cast a black guy as the human torch and everyone loses their freaking mind

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely you jest?

The 2005 movie was decent movie, not great, but worth the watch. The 2007 movie was just a giant bag of shit. The 2015 movie is on par with the 2007 movie, & might actually be worse.

I caught a stream of this movie today. For me, this was a really bad FF movie. It took a giant dump on the source material. The director/writer took FF & tried to turn it into Chronicle 2. FF is the wrong comic book to try to make a dark gritty movie with. That is absolute opposite of what the FF is all about.

Here are some of the problems I had:

-It's too serious.
-The opening 'origin' act is too long.
-The movie goes from the "origin" act. to skipping over them learning to harness their powers, to the "one year later" act 3 ending. There is no real middle act.
-Not enough action. After all, this is a comic book movie.
-Sue & Johnny Storm have no interaction with Grimm. They just do not converse with him at all throughout the movie.
-Teller & Bell are miscast as Reed & Grimm.
-Victor von Doom. They fucked him up in a big way. Do I need to say more?

There are far more issues I has a problems with, I just don't feel the need to list them all.

They need to stop with the origin reboot nonsense. If you want to reboot the movie, fine. But do it without retelling the story we've already seen countless times. Start the movie some time after their initial foray into becoming a superhero. Add different villains. FF has such a wide variety of rally intriguing villains to choose from that constantly rehashing & fucking up Victor von Doom turns people off from the movie.

I put this movie on par with Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, 2007 FF, & Superman Returns. Right behind Green Latern.

And no I don't jest, 1st, the movie didn't take a giant dump on the source material because the movie was pretty accurate to the comic it was based on. Now whether you don't like the Ultimate Fantastic 4 or have never heard of that comic series doesn't mean it wasn't true to the comic.

And 2nd I never said the movie was amazing it was average at best but it certainly isn't 4.0 on IMDB or 8% on Rotten Tomatoes level bad. There were a lot of things wrong with the movie and your points are valid but at the end of the day I didn't come away from the movie feeling like I had wasted my money or wasn't entertained.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no I don't jest, 1st, the movie didn't take a giant dump on the source material because the movie was pretty accurate to the comic it was based on. Now whether you don't like the Ultimate Fantastic 4 or have never heard of that comic series doesn't mean it wasn't true to the comic.

And 2nd I never said the movie was amazing it was average at best but it certainly isn't 4.0 on IMDB or 8% on Rotten Tomatoes level bad. There were a lot of things wrong with the movie and your points are valid but at the end of the day I didn't come away from the movie feeling like I had wasted my money or wasn't entertained.

I'm not familiar with Ultimate Fantastic 4. Is The Thing missing a dick and butt hole in the comics as well?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You said you didn't get the hate. I just explained some of what has kept the audience away. It certainly deserves a 4 or lower rating. For me & many others, it was not enjoyable to watch.

I thought I was going to have a similar response to Ant-Man. But surprisingly, I really liked it. 7/10

If you haven't seen it yet, go do so. Afterwards, compare the two movies. They had a similar budget along with not that big of positive buzz. You will be able to recognize why one movie is considered a decent hit & the other a flop.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to a matinee just to see if it was as bad as all the reviews and the fanboy meltdowns.

It wasn't as world class bad as they were making it out, BUT there are some critical flaws with this movie that really damages the experience and leaves you walking out in silence not feeling anything.

1) The origin story took way too much of the movie and thus there was little action till the boss fight at the end, and even that was too short.

2) The characters were the biggest collection of boring stiffs you'll ever see put to film. It was more dead drama delivery than an action movie. You couldn't make a connection with any of them. None of them were likeable. They all seemed miserable before and after they get their powers. Sue is presented as attractive, but exudes absolutely 0 sexiness or charm. They have no interaction with civilians once they're out of grade school.

3) Massive lack of action. It's just implied that the first year they have their powers, thing and flame are off doing missions for the US govt, but you never actually see anything besides a film clip on a monitor for a couple of seconds that Thing was involved in some military mission. The majority of the movie is them just walking and talking. It's even more a shame because the visuals were very well done. Their abilities come off as so bland because of all this.

4) The movie is a massive statement of political correctness and it just bores the hell out of you. They keep talking as if we've already wrecked the planet to death and the only reason were trying to get to the other one is start destroying that one too. That was painful to hear over and over again. It was like the Sierra Club was put in charge of that portion of the script.

5) They even went with the cliche of the dickhead CIA type agent using them to help wage war and lying to them to get them to do things.

6) Absolutely nothing during the credits to indicate any future for them or tie-ins. Credits roll and that's it. Most people stuck around waiting for something during the credits to leave you thinking. Nothing. That only made the experience worse that they did that.

I give this movie a 6.5 out of 10. Great visuals. But the script, characters, and lack of action is a bust.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jessica-Alba-Hairstyles-Short-Bob-Haircut.jpg
Cast a Mexican woman as Sue Storm and give her a blonde wig and blue contacts and no one bats an eye, cast a black guy as the human torch and everyone loses their freaking mind
Maybe if they gave Jordon a wig and contacts, people would not be complaining so much...

:noidea:

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they wouldn't call it a "Marvel movie". While the source material is, in fact, from Marvel, they had nothing to do with this movie.

The Fantastic Four are part of the Marvel Universe... As well as Wolverine, Spiderman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Hulk, and so forth. Do you mean the Avengers had nothing to do with this movie? No, they didn't, but Marvel has tons and tons of characters and stories. Marvel had everything to do with this movie.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wait for it to come out of the theater though, I was never a huge fan of the Fantastic Four.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was just as stupid then, it's stupid now.

Look, when you have a comic that originally casts white people, etc. play them with white actors.

I'd say the EXACT same thing if we re-made Blade and tried casting a white/asian/thai/WHATEVER actor. The character was originally black, keep it that way.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See also the FF discussion starting on this page of the superhero movie megathread.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fantastic Four are part of the Marvel Universe... As well as Wolverine, Spiderman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Hulk, and so forth. Do you mean the Avengers had nothing to do with this movie? No, they didn't, but Marvel has tons and tons of characters and stories. Marvel had everything to do with this movie.

Marvel Entertainment was one of the production companies...

Marvel Entertainment is not the same as Marvel Studios, which created the Marvel Cinematic Universe that includes the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Ant-Man, but NOT the X-Men or the Fantastic Four.

Marvel Entertainment did not get a full production credit, only the partial "in association with" credit, because their only involvement was licensing out the characters from the original comics to 20th Century Fox in decades-old contracts that Marvel deeply regrets.

Fantastic Four (the 2015 film) is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and was done by Fox, and Marvel Studios had no creative input or other involvement in the film.

Fox basically shit all over the source material with this horrible film.

The bright spot in this is that the film's failure at the box office just might lead Fox to sell the rights back to Marvel. Here's hoping that happens! :hope: