• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fangio's Defense VS Manusky's Defense

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your impressions so far?

I know it's hard to have a complete opinion yet, two games in preseason, which means two games without any real game-planning from opposing offenses.

I like what I have seen so far. Forced three '3-and-outs' against the Saints, a nice goal line stand against the Raiders to protect Alex Smith's INT. A bit more of a consistent pass rush, and that pressure has played a big part in the #1 defense pitching shut-outs against #1 offenses so far.

I'm loving the new aggressive style, so much better than that chickenshit bend-don't-break philosophy that drives me nuts.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood the bend and break defense. I'm so glad to see pressure on the QB come consistently.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it depends on the quality of your personnel.

if you don't have quality, then you play bend but don't break. if you have talent on your Unit, then you increase the pressure.

then there's the quality of your opponent's offense? are they stronger run, pass, or good at both? so don't think its that simple as a D.C choosing to go bend but don't break.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
secondary still remains a question for me...as long as Goldson is back there we are vunerable. Saw some instances where our CBs were playing the good ol 10 yds back ways...

other than that, looking good... thanks to some individual standouts from Mcdonald and Bowman/Brooks, they were able to sniff out the screens. Looks like Screens could hurt us in the future.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like seeing the defense be far more aggressive. getting after the Qb can make the secondary look stronger.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't blitz if your Secondary blows.

Doesn't matter how good or bad your secondary is they will blow a coverage given enough time so if you have a weak secondary you want to decrease the time QB's have to find the open receiver by getting in his face quicker.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can somewhat get behind the 'Bend, but don't break' philosophy when it's a personnel issue, be it poor secondary or poor pass rush. Although, when the talent level improves over a few years, and Manusky still stuck with that same passive philosophy... it was frustrating.

Fangio has a lot to prove still, no doubt. Just saying I like how the 49ers 'new look' defense is playing against opposing starters so far.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doesn't matter how good or bad your secondary is they will blow a coverage given enough time so if you have a weak secondary you want to decrease the time QB's have to find the open receiver by getting in his face quicker.

but what if your pass rush is also weak? a good example is the 49ers.

i'd think given enough talent on your defensive unit, all coordinators would apply pressure? can't see any coordinator with adequate talent choosing "bend but don't break"?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A good QB will find the hot read every single time in that situation.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm not quite as critical of Manusky as some because he had a catch 22 when it came to defense because of the personnel. He lacked a talented pass rusher like a Ware so usually he would have to generate pressure through scheme but if you scheme pressure than you weaken your secondary which was weak in the first place.

Fangio looks like he's in better shape if Smith turns out to be the real deal and might even have an added bonus if Brooks comes along as a force. So he can rely more on the talent on hand to rush the passer than having to scheme for it like Manusky had to.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not quite as critical of Manusky as some because he had a catch 22 when it came to defense because of the personnel. He lacked a talented pass rusher like a Ware so usually he would have to generate pressure through scheme but if you scheme pressure than you weaken your secondary which was weak in the first place.

Fangio looks like he's in better shape if Smith turns out to be the real deal and might even have an added bonus if Brooks comes along as a force. So he can rely more on the talent on hand to rush the passer than having to scheme for it like Manusky had to.

We still lack the rusher.... We're getting pressure from Haralson,Bowman and Brooks on the 1st team Def.... same 3 Manusky had last yr and 2 from the year before.

Aldon Smith is still growing but has the image of a great rusher due to his play and performance in the preseason.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree, it is difficult to post an informed opinion after just two PS games, but one thing I have noticed thus far, is we appear to respond quicker to the play.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 games in, it looks like Fangio may be a slight upgrade over Manusky. The defense looks more aggressive and is putting more pressure on the opposing QB's so far this season. They are also still stout against the run.

The Chargers are ranked 8th in total defense and the 49ers are ranked 7th in total defense through 3 weeks. Maybe Fanigo is doing a little more with a little less talent?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
3 games in, it looks like Fangio may be a slight upgrade over Manusky. The defense looks more aggressive and is putting more pressure on the opposing QB's so far this season. They are also still stout against the run.

The Chargers are ranked 8th in total defense and the 49ers are ranked 7th in total defense through 3 weeks. Maybe Fanigo is doing a little more with a little less talent?

run D is pretty close despite changes to the front 7, its about even?

we now have better safeties and one better cover corner, but we're still giving up passing yards (more than we should), so IMO about even again.

for pass rushing, we still don't have much sacks even with Aldon on passing situation? but can't speak on pressures and hurries cause didn't see all of the Seattle game, none of Cincinnatti. i'll leave this one alone.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have a real good test this sunday to see how our defense really is.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We will have a real good test this sunday to see how our defense really is.

yep.

everyone has different expectations going into this game, so this plays into how you'll post next week? for me i expect the Eagles will get their offensive stats, similar to what they've been getting now. wait, little less rushing stats.

what i'm hoping for are turnovers and more field goals than TD's.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Fangio's scheme a lot more so far. I'm having a hard time finding stats for this, but it seems like we gave up a lot more 3rd down conversions under Manusky then we are this year under Fangio. He's aggressive in his scheme, but not too aggressive IMO. The big plays that we have given up on Defense have been more due to blown coverages than bad play calling.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird, both Cowboys and Bengals games started off with our defenses playing like Sh*t in the opening drive, but then they'll calm down and play tight and better.

Secondary looks more opportunistic than before(personel or scheme), the passh rush isn't exotic as I thought it would be but really the pass rush has been effective coming from our DL rather than our OLBs....

Pros and Cons thus far, but i take it over Manusky definitely.....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Fangio's scheme a lot more so far. I'm having a hard time finding stats for this, but it seems like we gave up a lot more 3rd down conversions under Manusky then we are this year under Fangio. He's aggressive in his scheme, but not too aggressive IMO. The big plays that we have given up on Defense have been more due to blown coverages than bad play calling.

thats my opinion for the Dallas game, felt two big plays were blown coverages (miscommunication). this is expected early on but also correctable, shouldn't continue from here on.

in general, don't see a big enough difference so far? but i'd expect Aldon Smith will start to tilt it to Fangio?