• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fairley and the #10

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys trade Fairley and the #10 for any of these prospects?

Clowney
Greg Robinson
Watkins
Mack

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Fairley gets traded (yet at least) but if Mayhew really is having reservations about his future, I wouldn't be shocked to see him throw a curve ball and take Donald or Jernigan at 10. Sounds crazy, but you can never have enough good D-linemen especially if Fairley is on Mayhew's bubble.

Personally, I love Fairley and hope is a Lion for a long long time. I would not trade him, unless there is some crazy behind the scenes attitude issue stuff we just don't know about.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys trade Fairley and the #10 for any of these prospects?

Clowney
Greg Robinson
Watkins
Mack

I like Fairley and I'm glad he's a Lion, but I'd trade him for any of those guys except Robinson. I think Robinson will be a good tackle, but I also think it's better to keep talent at DT right now then to add to an already talented tackle group.

Mack would be my first choice- I think he'll be a game changer for a long time. Watkins would be the next dynamic WR in what has turned into a pretty prolific position in the D in the past 20 years.

I'd still role the dice on Clowney, but the more I see of him, the less impressed I am. He's not a mature dude at all, and from the things he says and the way he acts he's already bought into his own hype. He's still a helluva physical specimen, though...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should consider the flip-side, too, though:

Would you rather have Watkins, or Fairley and Evens?

Mack, or Fairley and Barr?

Clowney, or Fairley and Clinton-Dix (or Odell Beckham, Jace Amaro, Calvin Pryor, etc...) plus an extra 2nd rounder if we trade back instead of up?

Does a haul of Fairley, Dennard, and Kyle Van Noy have more value than Clowney or Mack or Watkins?

Quite the can of worms you've opened up here...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No....Keep Fairley and draft WR/CB/OT with 10.....I'm starting to like the idea of stacking top OT picks and moving the weakest link to OG position......Bunch of OT on the front line could be a punishing premise....When Reiff is playing guard that should tell you there's a few guys better then him on the OL and Reiff did just fine at LT.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Det/Oak Trade in upcoming draft ?

My summation regarding recent articles about WR Sammy Watkins and the Lions having "TONS" of interest, if Mayhew wants to put to rest his failed attempts to find that complementary receiver to MegaTron then he'll have to trade up to get his guy.

Oakland needs a starting DT and Detroit needs that complimentary WR to CJ. I posted a similar scenario in RobBase's thread earlier. Oakland doesn't necessarily have a need for a speedster like Watkins unless they have a QB who can get him the ball. T. Pryor and Matt McGloin are highly questionable to achieve the aforementioned. Oakland also has a need at LB after losing Phillip Wheeler to the Dolphins last year, hence a trade with Detroit could secure them (Oak) with a player (Barr) who has high Ceiling potential and could grow into that role and then some plus the fact they would be picking ahead of Tenn and NYG who also have needs at LB....

My trade scenario, should Watkins be available at #5, is as follows. Detroit trades their #10, #107 and DT Nick Fairley to Oakland for their #5 and #67. Fairley's max trade value is at the top of second round and "possibly" a conditional 4th or 5th round pick in 2015. In a nutshell, Detroit gets Sammy, loses their 4th round pick, but receives Oakland's 3rd round pick.

Granted we lose an unmotivated, immature, over-weight, out of shape DT in Fairley but should Mayhew not pick up Fairley's rookie contract club option for his 5th year before May 2nd 2014, it's conceivable that Fairley's last year in Detroit is the 2014 Season, as he would become a FA in 2015. Fairley also would command somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 mill a year on avg for his next contract. Another cap problem going forward to nest year.

Having two 3rd round picks could give Mayhew the room to find a replacement for Fairley.

Possible prospects that might be available to Detroit... Aaron Donald, RaShede Hageman, Timmy Jernigan (should they fall to the 2nd rd for some reason). Kelcy Quarles, DaQuan, Caraun Reid all possible late 3rd round if not 4th round candidates...

Fairley is NOT SUH by any stretch of imagination...

Thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should my above scenario come to fruition (Det trades with Oak and gets their 1st (#5) and 3rd round #67 pick) and Aaron Donald is available at the #28 slot (currently belongs to Carolina and they drafted two DT's last year) then if I were Martin Mayhew, I'd be on the phone with GM Gettleman trading our #45 and #76 to draft him (Pit DT Aaron Donald). the kid has a non-stop motor, tore up the ACC, Senior Bowl and Combine this year. His lack of height and weight (6' 3/8" 289 lbs) doesn't concern me and for those reason alone he may fall down the draft.

If you want Sammy Watkins, you have to give something up to get him. IMO, Aaron Donald can become better than Fairley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My summation regarding recent articles about WR Sammy Watkins and the Lions having "TONS" of interest, if Mayhew wants to put to rest his failed attempts to find that complementary receiver to MegaTron then he'll have to trade up to get his guy.

Oakland needs a starting DT and Detroit needs that complimentary WR to CJ. I posted a similar scenario in RobBase's thread earlier. Oakland doesn't necessarily have a need for a speedster like Watkins unless they have a QB who can get him the ball. T. Pryor and Matt McGloin are highly questionable to achieve the aforementioned. Oakland also has a need at LB after losing Phillip Wheeler to the Dolphins last year, hence a trade with Detroit could secure them (Oak) with a player (Barr) who has high Ceiling potential and could grow into that role and then some plus the fact they would be picking ahead of Tenn and NYG who also have needs at LB....

My trade scenario, should Watkins be available at #5, is as follows. Detroit trades their #10, #107 and DT Nick Fairley to Oakland for their #5 and #67. Fairley's max trade value is at the top of second round and "possibly" a conditional 4th or 5th round pick in 2015. In a nutshell, Detroit gets Sammy, loses their 4th round pick, but receives Oakland's 3rd round pick.

Granted we lose an unmotivated, immature, over-weight, out of shape DT in Fairley but should Mayhew not pick up Fairley's rookie contract club option for his 5th year before May 2nd 2014, it's conceivable that Fairley's last year in Detroit is the 2014 Season, as he would become a FA in 2015. Fairley also would command somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 mill a year on avg for his next contract. Another cap problem going forward to nest year.

Having two 3rd round picks could give Mayhew the room to find a replacement for Fairley.

Possible prospects that might be available to Detroit... Aaron Donald, RaShede Hageman, Timmy Jernigan (should they fall to the 2nd rd for some reason). Kelcy Quarles, DaQuan, Caraun Reid all possible late 3rd round if not 4th round candidates...

Fairley is NOT SUH by any stretch of imagination...

Thoughts ?

I'd take that trade, for any of the above prospects. Especially Clowney. I would love to see Clowney and Suh play next to each other. Ziggy going into his second year on the other side.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Fairley and I'm glad he's a Lion, but I'd trade him for any of those guys except Robinson. I think Robinson will be a good tackle, but I also think it's better to keep talent at DT right now then to add to an already talented tackle group.

Mack would be my first choice- I think he'll be a game changer for a long time. Watkins would be the next dynamic WR in what has turned into a pretty prolific position in the D in the past 20 years.

I'd still role the dice on Clowney, but the more I see of him, the less impressed I am. He's not a mature dude at all, and from the things he says and the way he acts he's already bought into his own hype. He's still a helluva physical specimen, though...

The cool thing about Robinson is he would get to play next to Larry Warford for the next decade.Clowney would play next to Suh. CJ across from Watkins. Mack next to Tulloch. All these prospects compliment our best players.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulloch won't be around for much longer.....No spring chicken.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulloch won't be around for much longer.....No spring chicken.

Possibly but he still plays at a high level and on the right side of thirty still.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly but he still plays at a high level and on the right side of thirty still.

Exactly! Tulloch just turned 29 in January. He's in his prime still. 30 years old IS NOT the wall for all players- running backs only! Sorry for the yelling, but ever since 30 became "the wall" for RBs over the last 20 years or so, it has apparently started creeping into other positions as well. Well- it's just not the case. RBs are the only position, generally, where the wear and tear usually has them out of gas by 30. Most other positions, particularly MLB where speed isn't as big of a premium as some other skill positions, can play effectively until at least 35 give or take a year.

I don't think there's any reason to think that Tully doesn't have 5 years of high-level football left in him. That's forever in the NFL...

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as we all learned last night, 30 is the proverbial age of downfall.

Nice picture Hevo, I think evans runs for another 70 yards after that stiff arm