• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA - Linebackers

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB Opportunities in FA?

Nab one of the prize offseason FA LB's: Joe Schobert, Cory Littleton, Blake Martinez

Veteran FA with good leadership skills to help position guys on defense: Sean Lee?

Might need to spend 8 to 10 million on one of the big 3 LB's in FA. Maybe only 4 to 5 million for Lee?

Then along with Pratt and Lawson on 3rd downs, we took care of our LB'ers, at least until we can find some quality players to groom behind them. Schobert, Littleton and Martinez are only like 26 years old, so they can be around for a while.

Our LB core is what makes our defense so dang bad, if we can fix this in the offseason, even if we didn't fix anything else except reupping Dennard, then I am okay with our defense going into the draft.

Only other thing at that point is the Oline, and while I believe it needs work, the return of Williams and a higher draft pick, say around #33, I would be okay with our depth there to at least start.

Williams, Jordan, Hopkins, Miller, Hart, Johnson, Price, Rookie OL

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As difficult as it has been for the Bengals to get the offensive line straight, I think linebacker has been the weakest position group for the past few years..... There are too many good parts in the other defensive groups for the unit to be as bad as they have been. They would be wise to overspend in this area and hope for some immediate results. I'm skeptical that we'll do a lot here - I'm thinking they might be a player in FA but may be tempted to invest in OL given the rookie QB. But if they ignore the linebacker position, they are resigning themselves to another bottom 10 defensive unit.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As difficult as it has been for the Bengals to get the offensive line straight, I think linebacker has been the weakest position group for the past few years..... There are too many good parts in the other defensive groups for the unit to be as bad as they have been. They would be wise to overspend in this area and hope for some immediate results. I'm skeptical that we'll do a lot here - I'm thinking they might be a player in FA but may be tempted to invest in OL given the rookie QB. But if they ignore the linebacker position, they are resigning themselves to another bottom 10 defensive unit.

Easily bottom 10 if we don't address this one position. It affects both respective levels. Up front, because it allows the DLine less time to get pressure. Secondary, because it leaves open passing lanes before our DB's can close coverage. Of course, its own position has been so poor at tackling, it improves both the run game and the passing game of the opposing offense. LB is the backbone to every level of the defense.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if only we had a superbowl decorated head coach who used to be a linebacker, lol.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surely we'll sign some mid-tier person and tout him as a "cagey veteran / solid contributor"

he'll be a nonfactor, and then he'll go somewhere else the next year and kick azz.

jgreene95

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wash, Rinse, Repeat

Another off season of we should, they should.

Remember who the owner is.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they know we need 3 linebackers on the field right?

I remember one year we only had 2 healthy linebackers after a few got hurt during the game.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only played with 2 LB's in most formations last year 4-2-5.

What's hilarious is that after the first game of success in that formation, Hobs was beside himself with his love of Lou.... Youd' figure the Bengals created the next biggest innovation in defense for the league. Then Kyle Shanahan brought the Niners to town next week and destroyed the defense in every way possible, providing a huge blueprint for Lamar Jackson to destroy it again. Now we don't hear much about it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's hilarious is that after the first game of success in that formation, Hobs was beside himself with his love of Lou.... Youd' figure the Bengals created the next biggest innovation in defense for the league. Then Kyle Shanahan brought the Niners to town next week and destroyed the defense in every way possible, providing a huge blueprint for Lamar Jackson to destroy it again. Now we don't hear much about it.

Yep.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the NFL should really section teams off into leagues like they do in youth sports.

you know, like:
Competitive division
and
Recreational division

The teams that choose Recreational division waive their right to playoffs.

This is exactly what the Bengals need, and fans around here would still eat it up and yell "Who dey" as the Bengals beat up on the likes of the Browns, Dolphins, and other hapless teams.