• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Every player averaging 15+ PPG shoots threes except Hassan Whiteside

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add a token mention of Blake Griffin who's made 0.2 per game so far.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it'll probably be the first season in NBA history without a single non-3pt shooter who averages 20+ ppg.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it begs the question who is the next Shaq or the next Dwight going to be?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it begs the question who is the next Shaq or the next Dwight going to be?

Not trying to troll.

But, What question?

You made a declarative statement.

So, what exactly are we discussing?

That he scores a lot of points and 3's aren't part of his repertoire?

* see Dwight Howard

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it'll probably be the first season in NBA history without a single non-3pt shooter who averages 20+ ppg.

Huh?

Uh, Shaq?

Uh, maybe you heard of a guy named Wilt?

He could swish hooks from 3. But, that wasn't his bread and butter.

wiltswish1_original.gif

Or, Do you mean without attempting a 3 pointer?

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brook Lopez just all of a sudden started shooting 3's this season. It's odd. The guy made 2 3's all last season. Now all of the sudden he's jacking them up left and right.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is an interesting development and speaks to how much the game has changed. It is a function of advanced analytics, which has shown that post play is not very efficient. Three point shots and open driving lanes that result from spreading the defense are much harder to defend. Unless your post player is truly great, teams are best served using that player in pick and role rather than with his back to the basket. Because the lack of big man play has also trickled down to lower levels that are increasingly guard dependent, it is less likely that future dominant post players will emerge. At least those players will not look the same as the traditional centers once did.

Perhaps another dominant post player will come along as the game continues to evolve, but the days of a center dominated world are gone for good. Many of the league's top big men are capable 3 point shooters (Cousins, AD, both Gasols, Lopez)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

Uh, Shaq?

Uh, maybe you heard of a guy named Wilt?

He could swish hooks from 3. But, that wasn't his bread and butter.

wiltswish1_original.gif

Or, Do you mean without attempting a 3 pointer?

Did Wilt take this shot in games?

I could go to a gym and record myself shooting 100 hook shots from the 3 point line. Eventually I would swish one also.

I never had the pleasure of watching Wilt play, but this looks like a clip of a guy messing around to me.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is an interesting development and speaks to how much the game has changed. It is a function of advanced analytics, which has shown that post play is not very efficient. Three point shots and open driving lanes that result from spreading the defense are much harder to defend. Unless your post player is truly great, teams are best served using that player in pick and role rather than with his back to the basket. Because the lack of big man play has also trickled down to lower levels that are increasingly guard dependent, it is less likely that future dominant post players will emerge. At least those players will not look the same as the traditional centers once did.

Perhaps another dominant post player will come along as the game continues to evolve, but the days of a center dominated world are gone for good. Many of the league's top big men are capable 3 point shooters (Cousins, AD, both Gasols, Lopez)
Even Cousins has gotten proficient at shooting 3's.

It comes down to exactly what you said- analytics shows that post play is not a very smart way to play. The expected points-per-possession on post touches is just so much lower than playing a spread system with 3 pt shooters. Its an old-inefficient-outdated way to play basketball.

like you said- even Lopez and Gasol are learning how- and actually doing very well shooting 3's.

throwing the ball into the post is just boring inefficient basketball.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Wilt take this shot in games?

I could go to a gym and record myself shooting 100 hook shots from the 3 point line. Eventually I would swish one also.

I never had the pleasure of watching Wilt play, but this looks like a clip of a guy messing around to me.

Na....it was a bet with his teammate.