• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider Offseason Priorities: San Francisco 49ers

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The San Francisco 49ers were one of the more disappointing teams in the NFL this season, falling to 8-8 after three consecutive NFC Championship Game appearances (producing one Super Bowl appearance), and the long-rumored and long-reported rift between head coach Jim Harbaugh and the Niners' front office finally reached a resolution, with the two parties agreeing to part ways.

Finding a replacement for Harbaugh tops the list of the 49ers' offseason priorities:

1. Figure out coaching situation

Harbaugh's departure from the team has been the worst-kept secret in football this season. The 49ers could promote defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, something they did on an interim basis late in the 2010 season. They're also expected to investigate candidates from the college ranks and from within the NFL, including from the division-rival Seattle Seahawks. However the 49ers proceed, they need to find a coach excited to work with quarterback Colin Kaepernick for at least the coming season.

2. Is this team reloading or rebuilding?

San Francisco ranked among the top three during 2014 in offensive and defensive snaps played by players 30 years or older. Defensive end Justin Smith could retire. Fellow defensive end Ray McDonald is already gone, following his off-field issues. Running back Frank Gore and receiver Michael Crabtree can become free agents. Tight end Vernon Davis appears to be in steep decline based on his play in 2014.

This team was entering a transition period whether or not Harbaugh was part of the immediate future, but how far will the 49ers go in retooling under a new coach? They could conceivably keep the defensive staff in place to make another run with NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis returning from injuries and, hopefully, Smith returning for another season.

3. Look for ways to solve Seattle

The Seahawks have won five of the past six games in the rivalry, counting playoffs. The 49ers need to close the gap with Seattle. They could start by interviewing some of the Seahawks' assistant coaches. Even if they did not hire one as head coach, they could gain some intel on the team they have to beat in the NFC West. And if they did hire away someone such as Dan Quinn or Darrell Bevell or even Tom Cable, they could weaken the Seahawks in the process.

4. Help Kaepernick bounce back

The 49ers built some protections into their contract with Kaepernick, but they will almost certainly return with him as their starting quarterback in 2015 (the seasons beyond that are less of a certainty). They need to take a hard look at what can be done to reverse his recent slide in production. It seems pretty clear Kaepernick is at his best in an offense that emphasizes the running game -- including his own running abilities. The next coach will presumably need to embrace that. The 49ers also need to help Kaepernick overcome psychological hurdles against Seattle. Kaepernick has three touchdown passes, nine interceptions and 18 sacks while going 1-5 as a starter against the Seahawks.

5. Accept a mulligan on new stadium

Not much went right for the 49ers in 2014, but their new stadium should have been a shining light for them. Instead, the playing surface was a problem for much of the season, players were divided across two locker rooms and the atmosphere was hardly intimidating for opponents. The 49ers need to do a better job leveraging Levi's Stadium to their advantage.

Offseason fixes for San Francisco 49ers - NFL - ESPN
By Mike Sando

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Embrace winning together as a whole organization with as little drama going forward as possible. No more leaks , and no more bullshit. Let's play some fucking ball.

:suds::clap:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with some of this. I don't necessary agree with the fixation on Seattle. The team just needs to work on getting better period. I also am starting to doubt Quinn. I am starting to wonder if he is going to be the next Dave Wannstedt. Gotta just focus on getting the best coach period

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Embrace winning together as a whole organization with as little drama going forward as possible. No more leaks , and no more bullshit. Let's play some fucking ball.

:suds::clap:

Let's start winning with "class".:suds:

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please take Bevell and leave Quinn & Cable. I don't mind him as an OC, but of the three, he's the one I would miss the least.

If you guys take one of our assistant coaches...how do I "hope that they do well" and "pray for humiliating defeats of the 49ers" at the same time?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please take Bevell and leave Quinn & Cable. I don't mind him as an OC, but of the three, he's the one I would miss the least.

If you guys take one of our assistant coaches...how do I "hope that they do well" and "pray for humiliating defeats of the 49ers" at the same time?

At this point I really don't want Quinn. I would rather promote Fangio. He has done more with less.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't want any of your guys to be honest. Bevell gets credit for what Russell Wilson and Lynch do, but Lynch is the best RB in the NFL to me. I see Lynch get hit at the line of scrimmage or in the back field so often but he just breaks tackles and makes plays. Him getting hit so often in the backfield shows your O Line isn't very good and Bevell isn't doing a whole lot to make up for that. Russell does best when the play breaks down and works his magic, which has nothing to do with Bevell. You can even say they succeed in spite of Bevell since it's his plays breaking down so often.

I don't want Quinn since I don't think he's as good as Fangio. The Seattle D success after Bradley went to JAX shows the defense is good with any coordinator since it's really Pete Carrol's defense and your position coaches like Ken Norton are awesome.

No to Cable just period.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want any of your guys to be honest. Bevell gets credit for what Russell Wilson and Lynch do, but Lynch is the best RB in the NFL to me. I see Lynch get hit at the line of scrimmage or in the back field so often but he just breaks tackles and makes plays. Him getting hit so often in the backfield shows your O Line isn't very good and Bevell isn't doing a whole lot to make up for that. Russell does best when the play breaks down and works his magic, which has nothing to do with Bevell. You can even say they succeed in spite of Bevell since it's his plays breaking down so often.

I don't want Quinn since I don't think he's as good as Fangio. The Seattle D success after Bradley went to JAX shows the defense is good with any coordinator since it's really Pete Carrol's defense and your position coaches like Ken Norton are awesome.

No to Cable just period.

Fangio was basically the head coach of the defense. harbaugh was hands off and Fangio ran the show. The only thing Quinn has is youth meaning he could potentially be long term in comparison to Fangio who may not be a long term solution.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning with class...yeah like getting sued for age discrimintion..:suds:

Hope Jed doesn't look in the mirror if he wants class. Hope these accusations are not true, but if they are, then Jed is a hypocrite.