• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN article saying Edgar should be in HOF

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it when voters hold the DH against players, but then they'll vote for relief pitchers.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll find out pretty soon whether enough people agree. The new Hall class gets announced on Wednesday.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edgar most definitely should be in the hall, he put up the numbers of an elite hitter and yes I do mean elite. And unbeknownst to almost everyone outside of Seattle, he was actually an above average third baseman before his injuries.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll find out pretty soon whether enough people agree. The new Hall class gets announced on Wednesday.

Unfortunately with the upcoming class he might fall in the percentage of people who vote for him. I think he might get in eventually, not this year though. Edgar only hit 30+ HR once but in his prime you could count on him to hit 20-30 HRs with a .320 BA and .420+ OBP every year. Plus I don't think the HOF voters should hold the fact that he didn't play 100 games until he was 27. Most of his best years were when he was 29-40. A lot of players start to drop off in their late 30s when Edgar had one of his best years at 37.

I don't think being a DH should be held against him. He did his job and he did it extremely well.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately with the upcoming class he might fall in the percentage of people who vote for him. I think he might get in eventually, not this year though. Edgar only hit 30+ HR once but in his prime you could count on him to hit 20-30 HRs with a .320 BA and .420+ OBP every year. Plus I don't think the HOF voters should hold the fact that he didn't play 100 games until he was 27. Most of his best years were when he was 29-40. A lot of players start to drop off in their late 30s when Edgar had one of his best years at 37.

I don't think being a DH should be held against him. He did his job and he did it extremely well.

If Edgar gets left out of the Hall of Fame, it'll be less about the position he played and more about how much he played overall I think, which would be unfortunate considering he had no choice in the matter due to organizational stupidity and injury. Imagine the numbers he would have put up if he had been allowed/physically able to play full seasons, or at least significantly more games, in those 6 years. He'd have been a virtual lock for the Hall of Fame, especially if those first three years (the organizational stupidity years) had given him more time at third base than he ultimately got. I think he'll get voted in at some point, though. He had too many great seasons when he did play to be left out.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edgar most definitely should be in the hall, he put up the numbers of an elite hitter and yes I do mean elite. And unbeknownst to almost everyone outside of Seattle, he was actually an above average third baseman before his injuries.

Yes he was. He had 18.1 bWAR (or looking at Fangraphs, 17.2, which ranks 1st by a comfortable margin) and batted .318/.402/.477 with a 146 wRC+. For whatever reason, most people think he moved to DH because he couldn't handle 3rd. That wasn't the case at all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Edgar gets left out of the Hall of Fame, it'll be less about the position he played and more about how much he played overall I think, which would be unfortunate considering he had no choice in the matter due to organizational stupidity and injury. Imagine the numbers he would have put up if he had been allowed/physically able to play full seasons, or at least significantly more games, in those 6 years. He'd have been a virtual lock for the Hall of Fame, especially if those first three years (the organizational stupidity years) had given him more time at third base than he ultimately got. I think he'll get voted in at some point, though. He had too many great seasons when he did play to be left out.

I get that completely but I also think that is a dumb argument just because the fact that Sandy Koufax is in the HOF. If the HOF is about longevity then there is a much better case for Edgar over Koufax. People holding the DH against him is retarded as well, a pitcher gets away with being horrible with 2/3 of the game, most catchers and 2B get away with being mediocre hitters.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that completely but I also think that is a dumb argument just because the fact that Sandy Koufax is in the HOF. If the HOF is about longevity then there is a much better case for Edgar over Koufax. People holding the DH against him is retarded as well, a pitcher gets away with being horrible with 2/3 of the game, most catchers and 2B get away with being mediocre hitters.

And that's why I think he'll ultimately get in. We'll find out in about 12 hours if this is the year.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's why I think he'll ultimately get in. We'll find out in about 12 hours if this is the year.

Didn't happen for him this year. The guys that did get voted in deserved it, but it seems that Edgar lost votes from last year to this year because of it.