• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ernie Accorsi Hired as Consultant...

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More to come- Press conf. on now.
Ernie?

bob0311

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Phillips still president and survival expert
Everyone's accountable but Ted

C

cubzzzfanincali

wasn't Accorsi the guy who hired Tom Coughlin and pulled the whole Eli Manning/Phil Rivers trade off?

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude's bulletproof.

Convoluted, peripheral, who-really-cares-six-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon-ism regarding Ted Phillips:
My stepdaughter was friends through much of HS with Phillips' oldest boy's girlfriend. My wife and I got to know Matt fairly well and even met his mother a couple of times. Phillips' ex-wife never talked about Ted, but Matt occasionally would, and never in an especially positive light. Typical of teenagers, of course, so take it with a grain of salt.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accorsi will only be a Consultant. Ted Philips will remain as Prez of Football.

George & Ted will take Ernie's advice, but the ultimate decision on GM and HC will be between them.
(A little disappointed that it's not a Full time Hire and "REAL" football President- but it's a start)

Ernie Accorsi: Been in some capacity of the NFL since 1970.

Baltimore Colts, Cleveland Browns,
1994-97: Asst. GM of New York Giants
1998-2007: GM of New York Giants-
Notable moves/Drafts:
Traded for Eli Manning
Accorsi was also responsible for drafting Osi Umenyiora, Chris Snee, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Brandon Jacobs, as well as signing Antonio Pierce, Kareem McKenzie, Plaxico Burress, and Fred Robbins as free agents. He hired current head coach Tom Coughlin.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't Accorsi the guy who hired Tom Coughlin and pulled the whole Eli Manning/Phil Rivers trade off?

so you are saying he was responsible for taking the giants to both superbowls?

I dont know man, he has been out of football since 2007. I guess recharging is one way to put it. Gotta wonder if he is up to speed with current personnel.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Dude's bulletproof.

Convoluted, peripheral, who-really-cares-six-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon-ism regarding Ted Phillips:
My stepdaughter was friends through much of HS with Phillips' oldest boy's girlfriend. My wife and I got to know Matt fairly well and even met his mother a couple of times. Phillips' ex-wife never talked about Ted, but Matt occasionally would, and never in an especially positive light. Typical of teenagers, of course, so take it with a grain of salt.

heh, well, nothing personal, but this really doesn't amount to a molecule of importance in assessing his football management IQ. Even if his son fully and openly hated his Dad's guts, it would mean exactly nothing to me.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh, well, nothing personal, but this really doesn't amount to a molecule of importance in assessing his football management IQ. Even if his son fully and openly hated his Dad's guts, it would mean exactly nothing to me.
Nope, it doesn't reflect on his acumen at all, and the story wasn't told to imply in any way that it did.

It was just a story, and a tertiary comment on him being bulletproof. :suds:

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors floating around that the accountant might get shifted laterally away from football operations if the right person is found.

Anyone got a quote on that from somewhere? I've heard the rumor, but haven't been able to pin it down. Haven't had a chance to listen to all the press conferences today yet.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk... yeah they are now saying that might happen after the hires. Which doesn't make much sense to me, but Hub Arkish said it has been done before.
Ted did say today that "nobody wants me input on players" so there is that.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More excerpts from his NFL career courtesy of Wiki:

• In 1985, Accorsi was hired by then Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell to serve as the team's new General Manager and Executive Vice President of Football Operations, serving for seven seasons. Accorsi was responsible for the acquisition of quarterback Bernie Kosar in the 1985 supplemental draft. During his tenure the Browns made 5 playoff appearances and got to the AFC Championship Game three times, but lost each time to Elway's Broncos.
  • BTW, he was part of the Baltimore Colts that tried to draft Elway.
  • As part of the Giants, Accorsi was responsible for drafting Osi Umenyiora, Chris Snee, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Brandon Jacobs.
  • On November 9, 2012, Accorsi was hired by the Carolina Panthers as a consultant. They've won the NFC South twice.
I like the hire. Someone who actually knows about players and talent.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk... yeah they are now saying that might happen after the hires. Which doesn't make much sense to me, but Hub Arkish said it has been done before.
Ted did say today that "nobody wants me input on players" so there is that.

Dear gods above could you imagine what THAT would be like?

bgduece

Kiss my Ass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Phillips is a bean counter, as long as he makes money for the McCaskey's...he is safe.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors floating around that the accountant might get shifted laterally away from football operations if the right person is found.

Anyone got a quote on that from somewhere? I've heard the rumor, but haven't been able to pin it down. Haven't had a chance to listen to all the press conferences today yet.

I found this yesterday… nothing authoritative from within the organization, but I think bringing in Accorsi speaks volumes about Phillips’ standing with football-related decisions with the McCaskeys. He might be good when it comes to protecting the family’s financial interests, but I don’t think too many people who frequent the this message board would disagree that money matters are what Phillips should stick to. Hopefully they bring in a legit football guy… but on the flip side of that coin, I wouldn’t want there to be any bitching and complaining if both sides of the operations start butting heads.

Ted Phillips likely moving away from Chicago Bears football operations - Windy City Gridiron

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far so good. Steps in the right direction. :suds:

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this yesterday… nothing authoritative from within the organization, but I think bringing in Accorsi speaks volumes about Phillips’ standing with football-related decisions with the McCaskeys. He might be good when it comes to protecting the family’s financial interests, but I don’t think too many people who frequent the this message board would disagree that money matters are what Phillips should stick to. Hopefully they bring in a legit football guy… but on the flip side of that coin, I wouldn’t want there to be any bitching and complaining if both sides of the operations start butting heads.

Ted Phillips likely moving away from Chicago Bears football*operations - Windy City Gridiron

I don't know. Part of me agrees with it, but then I read more and it just sits there and I think "more of the same".

Things like this article(Stupid webpaper registration hijack incoming)Ted Phillips' presence a hindrance in fixing Bears football operation - Chicago Tribune

Which for those that can't/won't register for it states
Sharelines:
Bears made significant progress this week that was obscured by Ted Phillips' persistent presence. Bears should make it clearer Ted Phillips isn't involved in football decisions.

The NFL Network reported that respected Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta wouldn't be interested in the Bears' GM job if Phillips still was involved in football decisions. What other quality candidates agree?

And this
As recently as last week, McCaskey considered reassigning Phillips to a business-only role — a decision he should revisit — but ultimately decided the institutional knowledge and league contacts of a man who has spent 31 years with the franchise outweighed any potential PR fallout. Consider that a bigger gamble than giving up on Trestman or Emery.

Combined with a whole lot of "WE" feelings at the press conference just gives you that feeling that nothing is going to change on that.

I feel like Jerrah Jones could have more luck hiring a GM than these two. I don't mean to sound like I think George is another Michael McCaskey. I honestly think he's going to try his damndest to fix things. I just also think he's out of his league at it. Doesn't make me feel great when the chairman is fist-pumping a effing field goal in a meaningless game during one of the worst seasons in all aspects in recent memory. Thats Fanboi shit there.

TLDR: I think your right about the accountants input on football decisions, but the PERCEPTION is there and that's bad enough.