• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric "Sleeping with Bieniemy" - next up, NFL Head Coach?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embarrassing nobody hired him.
I really don't get it. I thought teams would be knocking down the door trying to get this guy. If I was running a team, no way do I not go after him ahead of a lot of guys that have gotten HC jobs lately. Definite upgrade (even as an unknown at the top job) for the Jets, Browns, Bengals, Jags, Giants, Skins...probably a few others as well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't get it. I thought teams would be knocking down the door trying to get this guy. If I was running a team, no way do I not go after him ahead of a lot of guys that have gotten HC jobs lately. Definite upgrade (even as an unknown at the top job) for the Jets, Browns, Bengals, Jags, Giants, Skins...probably a few others as well.

Chiefs have gone through a few OC. Pederson did well when he left, his success helped Nagy land a HC job. Nagy lack of success has made it harder for Bieniemy to do the same. The brains behind the Chief offense is Reid, which is why it hasn't change a whole lot. Bieniemy doesn't even call the plays, Reid does. Not calling the plays make Bieniemy look like a lackey of sorts , not HC material.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs have gone through a few OC. Pederson did well when he left, his success helped Nagy land a HC job. Nagy lack of success has made it harder for Bieniemy to do the same. The brains behind the Chief offense is Reid, which is why it hasn't change a whole lot. Bieniemy doesn't even call the plays, Reid does. Not calling the plays make Bieniemy look like a lackey of sorts , not HC material.
Well-said. My best friend lives in Philly and is surrounded by Eagles fans, and a lot of them are worried that Pederson might have caught lightning in a bottle during the SB run but otherwise has underachieved with the talent they have there. Nagy is definitely making it worse. There's a lot of politicizing of Bieniemy's coaching status due to him being black, but with him not calling plays out there, it could very well be why he is still an OC and guys like Kevin Stefanski are now head coaches.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting how the two white OCs under Reid get head coaching gigs, but the black guy who actually wins the SB doesn't.

But in fairness, I don't think it is (entirely) racial bias. I think is anti-RB bias. Teams want former QBs as offensive play callers.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on Reids OC's for sure and understand that part of it but when you look at the no names getting jobs around the league, it's pretty bad. Adam Gase is on his second job and he was just a lackey. Not only that, he is an awful coach. This guy the Giants hired has no history. Fat Freddie Kitchens got a gig, albeit the Browns who fuck up everything.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting how the two white OCs under Reid get head coaching gigs, but the black guy who actually wins the SB doesn't.

But in fairness, I don't think it is (entirely) racial bias. I think is anti-RB bias. Teams want former QBs as offensive play callers.
I don't know about that. Most of these young guys aren't QBs and Anthony Lynn has shown that RBs can coach and do well.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or, it's a simple fact that two OCs who coached under Andy Reid have been huge liabilities when it comes to play-calling, and that's what is holding Bieniemy back. He will be a HC soon, but it's not a coincidence that both Nagy and Pederson have underachieved offensively on their respective teams, with their play-calling abilities being the biggest concerns that are called into question.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well-said. My best friend lives in Philly and is surrounded by Eagles fans, and a lot of them are worried that Pederson might have caught lightning in a bottle during the SB run but otherwise has underachieved with the talent they have there. Nagy is definitely making it worse. There's a lot of politicizing of Bieniemy's coaching status due to him being black, but with him not calling plays out there, it could very well be why he is still an OC and guys like Kevin Stefanski are now head coaches.
I mean, I get the idea he deserves a shot and MIGHT be better than someone else who got one this time around. But the idea he's definitely better than these guys is absurd.

Bald Bull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does deserve a shot, right now, at least 6 - 8 teams have crappy head coaches. With that being said, he may be in a good situation, Andy Reid may hang it up and retire in couple of years, Eric Bieniemy could take over. I remember Eric Bieniemy tearing it up with the Colorado Buffalos!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, it's a simple fact that two OCs who coached under Andy Reid have been huge liabilities when it comes to play-calling, and that's what is holding Bieniemy back. He will be a HC soon, but it's not a coincidence that both Nagy and Pederson have underachieved offensively on their respective teams, with their play-calling abilities being the biggest concerns that are called into question.
I'd argue Philly's WR's just got very overrated and overvalued. Talent is still king.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a gut feeling we're going to see Bieniemy start calling plays, or at least it being publicly acknowledged, in part to be a tendency breaker to Reid, as Nagy was before him.

Bald Bull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does deserve a shot, right now, at least 6 - 8 teams have crappy head coaches. With that being said, he may be in a good situation, Andy Reid may hang it up and retire in couple of years, Eric Bieniemy could take over. I remember Eric Bieniemy tearing it up with the Colorado Buffalos!

CORRECTION: (I misspelled Buffaloes)

He does deserve a shot, right now, at least 6 - 8 teams have crappy head coaches. With that being said, he may be in a good situation, Andy Reid may hang it up and retire in couple of years, Eric Bieniemy could take over. I remember Eric Bieniemy tearing it up with the Colorado Buffaloes

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd argue Philly's WR's just got very overrated and overvalued. Talent is still king.
They still also had a high-end offensive line and one of the top receiving TEs in recent memory. It's not the talent that's being questioned with him, though. It's his execution and play-calling.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring offensive guys that haven't called plays seems like an awful idea.

Regardless of their race.

Bald Bull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn you are an old fuck. Wait a minute. Pretty sure I'm older than you. Never mind.

Eric Bieniemy also has a National Championship, which he won while at Colorado. Is he the first NFL Offensive Coordinator to win a Superbowl and a National Championship?