• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emmitt Smith: Dak should give Dallas a hometown discount

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can take a discount on his 3rd contract if he wants, but on this one he should try to get as much as he can and no one really has the right to tell him otherwise.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you could be right...most of the talking heads say if Dak were on the open market he'd get 35 plus.
I think the lowest he'd get is around Goff & wentz money

I am not sure which team would give Dak 35 million although I am sure someone will as far as Dak is concerned I have not seen any QB in the NFL that has more weapons and support than Dak. an elite run game, great offensive line, pro bowl WR, solid TE I would imagine trading Dak for Stafford straight up would be beneficial for the cowboys

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys need to be brave and just say, "look, guy...you're not worth $35 mil, end of story. So take this $28-30mil and be happy, or we'll be moving on from you."

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team will pony up. History shows that QBs get paid. Even a back up clipboard holder can garner a record setting contract based on his connection to the Pats ( as clipboard holder) and big dreams for his potential based on a 5 game trial.

Dolphins make the most sense with the most cap space and the need at QB and a wiliness to get aggressive when it suits them. Cowboys pony up market price now, or pay more down the road after tagging him this season. The alternative would be to let him walk, in which case signing Zeke was a waste because too hard to win without the franchise QB in place. It's not like they have some hot backup or a better option on the FA market or are in a position to draft a viable QB. The lack of a viable alternative really makes it hard to understand the haggling going on this long. All it's doing is costing them more. They need to just complete the deal.

I think the Chargers can benefit from a good vet QB which is what I see Dak as...CHI NEXT yr might be a team, NO might be a team NEXT yr...but the fact that we're kinda struggling for a sure fire team that will write $140mil check for his services, lends itself to my point...a top shelf $35m per deal might not be there...and let's say one surfaces with less talent than DAL...if you're Dak, do you just leave the comfy pocket that Jerry has paid big money for?

I think what Jones sees is a market that has options from the draft and other FA QBs, and this will be the case next yr as well. Say he sticks to the high side # and Dak gets tagged. Is Dak strong enough to jump in front of Trevor Lawrence, or Justin Fields next yr?

Generally speaking, I'm for the players to make as much as they can make, and I feel that way with Dak here, but I just think it becomes more about ego, etc. why am I being asked to take less, and other positions not? Because you're going to be making the most on the team, even after taking less.

At the end of the day I think he ends up in DAL for '20...as you said, they don't really have a better option.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you could be right...most of the talking heads say if Dak were on the open market he'd get 35 plus.
I think the lowest he'd get is around Goff & wentz money

Are the talking heads saying who will write that check?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys need to be brave and just say, "look, guy...you're not worth $35 mil, end of story. So take this $28-30mil and be happy, or we'll be moving on from you."

They would need better tact than the way you put it, because the old saying you're worth what someone is willing to pay you and there probably is one cap heavy team that will, but it would probably have a lot of roster bonuses, etc....point is now you've pissed him off and he's seeking that one team.

If I'm at $28 now...I let this simmer for the rest of March and after the combine bump it up to $30 and say it's this or the tag.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak and Emmitt simply have different interests at this point. Emmitt wants the Cowboys to have the best possible combination of players and Dak wants the highest possible contract that he can earn in his prime. It's hard for me to be mad at either of them for their stances.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see rational heads prevail, on both sides.

Whatever Dak gets for the next couples of years will be more than enough for a smart fella like him to get by on.

So why not take the high road, ask for a wee bit less to allow the rest of the team to fill out?

Dak doesn't seem like the sort to have 13 offspring from 13 baby mommas.

Being a Super Bowl winner lasts longer than the extra million or 2 you'd lose in taxes.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish it were that easy. His agent will never go for that, they have potential new clients watching how this turns out. Not trying to be a Dallas homer, Jerry screwed this by not stepping up last year. I think the market is what wentz & goff got from their team....can't see this less than 33/34M per.

I'm pretty sure the tag will be more than 30M. Maybe they tag him and draft Love at 17. Hard to say with Jerry in the house

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prescott already gave the Cowboys a huge home town discount by playing for $2M last year.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like Dallas's strategy is to focus on their other FAs first and then box in Dak with a tag or something. That might work, but might also create some hard feelings.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like Dallas's strategy is to focus on their other FAs first and then box in Dak with a tag or something. That might work, but might also create some hard feelings.
Actually in an odd way we don't know what Dallas' plan is as they have been oddly quiet