• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elway on Osweiler's Contract

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read from MHR here:

Denver Broncos General Manager John Elway says this won't be Osweiler's big contract

If Elway can coax Osweiler into signing a team friendly "middle class QB" type deal it will cement his status as the best GM in the league. It'll mean that players really do want to play in Denver and will take less stay here. That will be a testament in Elway creating a culture where players believe they will be contenders and weigh that more valuable than a big pay day.

It remains to be seen what Elway offers and how Oz responds, but this is an interesting development.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm.....Elway is a smart guy and I would guess that some of these sound bytes are intended to reach Brock's agent. It might be more effective if he said "emerging elite QB" type of deal, as opposed to "middle class". Has a nicer ring to it!

I still have confidence that the Broncos will get Osweiler locked up and most believe that Brock would like to remain a Bronco. We'll see if he has a 3-5 million dollar desire to call Denver home, since that could be the gap in offers if he hits the open market.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the problem with Oz is that what you hear in the market place - isn't really the market place. Teams needing QB are not going to tell their fans - they aren't interested in Oz - even if they aren't interested in Oz. If you are in charge of the Cleveland Browns and you needed a QB - and you signed Oz based on his 7 games of experience in the NFL - the fans expectations would be better results sooner rather than later. With a drafted rookie the expectations for early success is depressed in the fan based. An executive gets a longer run with a rookie QB and allows him to retool the team over a longer basis. If you are the Texans and you need a QB - you don't want to gamble a one year roll of the dice on a guy who only started 7 games in a different offense - based on the last guy who coached the team.

Oz is not going to get paid like Peyton Manning or even near him. The money is going to Von because it is going to be Von Miller's team for a while.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the market for Oz could be inflated initially by his agent. I think though the memories of Kolb and Flynn are still strong enough to give the rest of the league pause before throwing an obscene contract at Osweiler. (Still, there could be that one silly owner/GM out there who ignores history.)

I suspect Oz is going to get an offer that Elway feels is fair (and that likely is fair to both parties)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the market for Oz could be inflated initially by his agent. I think though the memories of Kolb and Flynn are still strong enough to give the rest of the league pause before throwing an obscene contract at Osweiler. (Still, there could be that one silly owner/GM out there who ignores history.)

I suspect Oz is going to get an offer that Elway feels is fair (and that likely is fair to both parties)

That is why I am not worrying about this whole thing. Elway has proven over and over again that he knows what he's doing. Does anyone believe if Brock walks that Elway is going to be sitting at his desk thinking, "Oh shit, I didn't expect that." Nope. He's got a plan and it doesn't involve over paying for Brock. Now if Brock jumps on the offer, fantastic. That's what I hope happens. But if Brock walks it likely will not be because the team under valued him. I think he's going to get a very fair offer. And a fair offer combined with an ideal situation in Denver may be enough to sway him.

I really hope it does.