• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Electric Truck thread

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some might think it's a dumb argument but it all depends on what type of power plants make your electricity. I think there is way better options out there for green vehicles then ones powered by batteries. The tech aint even close to where it needs to be in my eyes for what I do and where I live. GM, Chrysler, and Ford business models are never that really impressive to me because they always react to the short term business model and don't take the time or the research to create the tech they need to create good quality vehicles. I'll ask you this if it was such a great option for green vehicles then why isn't the Japanese vehicle manufactures are not building them.
The Germans are jumping in with both feet. Japanese manufacturers have a few different plug in hybrids (maybe the best short term solution), but I'm not sure if they have 100% electric models out right now.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Germans are jumping in with both feet. Japanese manufacturers have a few different plug in hybrids (maybe the best short term solution), but I'm not sure if they have 100% electric models out right now.
I find it amazing that there was a "other countries aren't doing it, so why should we" was used here.

they are scraping the bottom of the barrel to avoid accepting that electric vehicles are happening and are good

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks sharp but the bed is very short. More of a family vehicle than a work one?

Until they are more developed and technology is there I wouldn't really want one for a "work" vehicle just yet

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivian let motor trend ride along/drive on a test drive. They took two production trucks with a dodge 1500 as backup, cross country, using only charging stations anyone can use.

Looks like they are looking for the camping/off-road crowd and letting the F150 be the work around town truck
The also released the first electric truck to market. I think Ford will be next

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Japanese business models are more sound. They play the long game instead of short term game like move shit around to make their stock prices go up, to look more profitable to share holders. I hate to say it but they make better cars and trucks and when they have sound principles they stick with it and don't change unless after doing there due diligence. Something the American auto makers should do. Maybe then GM or Chrysler wouldn't had to been bailed out buy the American tax payers.

I'm not a fan of lithium ion batteries, I have a lot of issues with them and there just not a green as everyone thinks. Mining lithium has many environmental impacts and little of the batteries are ever recycled. At some point I am sure a solid state battery technology will come along and surpass any of lithium ion batteries performance. Solid state batteries are also very easy to recycle and have less environment impact. Once that happens I would be very interested in a electric vehicle.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Japanese business models are more sound. They play the long game instead of short term game like move shit around to make their stock prices go up, to look more profitable to share holders. I hate to say it but they make better cars and trucks and when they have sound principles they stick with it and don't change unless after doing there due diligence. Something the American auto makers should do. Maybe then GM or Chrysler wouldn't had to been bailed out buy the American tax payers.

I'm not a fan of lithium ion batteries, I have a lot of issues with them and there just not a green as everyone thinks. Mining lithium has many environmental impacts and little of the batteries are ever recycled. At some point I am sure a solid state battery technology will come along and surpass any of lithium ion batteries performance. Solid state batteries are also very easy to recycle and have less environment impact. Once that happens I would be very interested in a electric vehicle.
Honda is going to be fully electric and fuel cell by 2040. Toyota is planning 15 electric models by 2025.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivian let motor trend ride along/drive on a test drive. They took two production trucks with a dodge 1500 as backup, cross country, using only charging stations anyone can use.

Looks like they are looking for the camping/off-road crowd and letting the F150 be the work around town truck
The also released the first electric truck to market. I think Ford will be next
Yea, they've been pretty vocal about calling their truck and SUV "adventure vehicles".

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, they've been pretty vocal about calling their truck and SUV "adventure vehicles".
There is no way they unseat the F150. And it looks like they worked with Ford for a while to help with the F150 electric.
Tesla has the city car market. Rivian is showing that electric vehicles can be used away from the city. However because there are few chargers in BFE the amount of pre planning makes it a hard sell.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way they unseat the F150. And it looks like they worked with Ford for a while to help with the F150 electric.
Tesla has the city car market. Rivian is showing that electric vehicles can be used away from the city. However because there are few chargers in BFE the amount of pre planning makes it a hard sell.
Tesla is working to cash in on that too....the infrastructure will get there eventually.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw an article saying airstream is planning an electric trailer. Basically a camper/battery that will extend the range of your electric vehicle for longer trips. I can see others making battery/gear trailers for bikes, ATVs, boats whatever. That should make towing toys long distances for a river run or mountain driving much easier.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Electric Taco
20211214_BEV_22.jpg

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ford is coming out with a Maverick pick up that they want to put out for $21,000.
Looks good

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen a few Rivian trucks recently. Saw my first R1S last night. Big but not huge. Boxy. The white bar light across the front when it was behind me was a little weird. Michigan manufacturers plates.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the new Ranger I have, F-150 is larger than I need, but if they make an electric Ranger I would think about it the next time I need a car. The fact that Tacoma is already doing it makes it seem likely.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 286133

Range is the big issue, especially towing range. If you are using it for a work around town , not a problem. If you are using it for long distance, than you need to plan your charging. And have a backup plan because some charging locations don’t always work well.
When you add in towing it gets worse. Towing a camper or a boat is going to cut your range by half.