• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eckersly says CJ will be a Yankee next year

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering what ya'll think the odds of that are. From what I've heard ya'll say before, if CJ goes anywhere else it would be to the west coast since that's where he'd rather live. I could see the Yanks going after him just to raise the price up, just like they did with Crawford. I don't think they will get him though, for a few reasons, which I'm hoping are true.

1.) He wouldn't be the ace in NY.
2.) Texas will offer him an equal contract, if for nothing else than to make sure he doesn't go to NY.
3.) He believes he can win in Texas so there's no need to go to NY and be a ring chaser.

At any rate, NYY acquiring another ace as their #2 would be devastating. We should do everything we can to cockblock that, including looking at Darvish, even if it means not being able to re-sign one of our star players IMO.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering what ya'll think the odds of that are. From what I've heard ya'll say before, if CJ goes anywhere else it would be to the west coast since that's where he'd rather live. I could see the Yanks going after him just to raise the price up, just like they did with Crawford. I don't think they will get him though, for a few reasons, which I'm hoping are true.

2.) Texas will offer him an equal contract, if for nothing else than to make sure he doesn't go to NY.
3.) He believes he can win in Texas so there's no need to go to NY and be a ring chaser.

At any rate, NYY acquiring another ace as their #2 would be devastating. We should do everything we can to cockblock that, including looking at Darvish, even if it means not being able to re-sign one of our star players IMO.

Yeah whoever said that is an idiot..... Lets get through the Playoffs first . :L

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CC could opt out of his contract! I really hope he does. It could cause the Yanks to chose between going hard after CC or CJ. Not that they couldn't do both but I think it would be hard to outbid two different teams for both of those guys.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a big part of why I hate the yankees.Congrats Texas fans not a huge baseball fan but am much more interested in Texas or Detroit in the world series

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah thats why I hate the Yankees, the fact that they can win 98 games and still afford to go buy a new $20 million pitcher after they get knocked out of the first round.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would the Yankees try and artifically inflate the asking price for CJ unless the Red Sox are involved? And why would CJ care if he's not a #1 if the money offered is in line with what he wants?

JMO, but I don't see the Rangers getting into a bidding war with NY for CJ. At least I would hope they don't because it doesn't make sense to pay ace type money for a guy who is in reality a #2. The idea of just give him what he wants or keep him at any cost isn't the real world in baseball.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah thats why I hate the Yankees, the fact that they can win 98 games and still afford to go buy a new $20 million pitcher after they get knocked out of the first round.

And that is what I love about Yankees floundering. When 98 games with the highest payroll, then don't even win a single playoff series so the best option is to go spend more.

Fall in love with players, and your team takes a turn for the worse. Should have let Jeter, ARod and a few others walk. Should actually trade away a MLB player for some young talent.

BTW in case no one noticed, that is two years in a row that ARod made the last out of the Yankees post season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think the Red Sox are the only team that NY is trying to compete with? They have to recognize us as the emerging powerhouse of the AL. I'm not buying that CJ is a #2. He was top 15 in the majors this year in ERA. How much better does he have to be to be considered an ace? As far as whether he'd rather take the money over a #1 spot on a better team, I'd like to hope he wouldn't, maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think the Red Sox are the only team that NY is trying to compete with? They have to recognize us as the emerging powerhouse of the AL. I'm not buying that CJ is a #2. He was top 15 in the majors this year in ERA. How much better does he have to be to be considered an ace? As far as whether he'd rather take the money over a #1 spot on a better team, I'd like to hope he wouldn't, maybe that's just wishful thinking.

There is a big difference between competing with Texas and faking interest in a player to drive up the price such as Cashman claimed with Crawford.

NY arrogance will have to hit the late 1960's level to recognize that baseball is played south of Philly. Hell, we stomped their ass last year and they thought it was a fluke.

Time will tell about CJ. I would be surprised if the Rangers wound in a bidding war that would cause them to overpay in order to keep him. Same with Hamilton and Cruz.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Yanks want to offer 6 year and $20 million + per year then they can have him. That's what it will take to bid the Rangers out of it. I think the Rangers are going to offer him 5 years and up to $20 million per (maybe a little over if they have to), IF he pitches well in the rest of the post season (which I expect him to do).

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Yanks want to offer 6 year and $20 million + per year then they can have him. That's what it will take to bid the Rangers out of it. I think the Rangers are going to offer him 5 years and up to $20 million per (maybe a little over if they have to), IF he pitches well in the rest of the post season (which I expect him to do).

$100 million over 5 years... Yikes.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is what I love about Yankees floundering. When 98 games with the highest payroll, then don't even win a single playoff series so the best option is to go spend more.

Fall in love with players, and your team takes a turn for the worse. Should have let Jeter, ARod and a few others walk. Should actually trade away a MLB player for some young talent.

BTW in case no one noticed, that is two years in a row that ARod made the last out of the Yankees post season.

I don't know about letting them go, but they sure shouldn't have paid them such an inflated salary at their ages. I love how the best players on their team are Granderson, Canoe and maybe Gardner. Both Teixeira and ARod were just pitiful against Detroit though ARod has been hurt practically the entire year so he gets off the hook some.

Really, what that team has assembled is a team full of mercenaries. I don't see how people can continue to root for them but as they say you root for the Jersey and not the player. They really should get their salary structure in line and field a complete team. They won 98 games this year but were far from the best team. Really good job of managing by Girardi I guess. This team reminds me of the Hicks led Rangers teams featuring ARod than it did a championship caliber team ala the late 90's Yankees teams which was excellent in every area.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$100 million over 5 years... Yikes.

That is pretty steep for CJ. I don't know if he can live up to a contract like that. I'd rather not see him paid that kind of money though I think he is a safer bet than say Zito was when he got his 100 mil. Zito had pitched a ton of innings, his fastball velocity had dropped and he was in decline. CJ still has a lot of life on his fastball and is peaking right now. Whoever signs him probably can get 3 or 4 very good years from him if he can maintain his health and durability.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think CJ is a Ranger next year. He has many interests outside baseball and loves southern California. I'm betting Angels or Dodgers. Rangers will go hard after him, but I actually felt better about Lee returning than I do CJ. Really just hope its not the Angels (but I bet it is). No chance he goes to NY.

Speaking of NY, they are aging fast. Arod was injured much of the season, but his best years are behind him anyway. Same with Jeter. Posada is done. Texiera seems lost in the postseason. And their pitching just isn't that strong after CC. Would have preferred playing the Yanks. Oh well.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think CJ is a Ranger next year. He has many interests outside baseball and loves southern California. I'm betting Angels or Dodgers. Rangers will go hard after him, but I actually felt better about Lee returning than I do CJ. Really just hope its not the Angels (but I bet it is). No chance he goes to NY.

Speaking of NY, they are aging fast. Arod was injured much of the season, but his best years are behind him anyway. Same with Jeter. Posada is done. Texiera seems lost in the postseason. And their pitching just isn't that strong after CC. Would have preferred playing the Yanks. Oh well.

I doubt it. Angels already have a ton of money tied up in players, and I doubt pitching is where they want to spend even more. I could see them bidding to drive up the price, but not actually winning. Dodgers are a wildcard, depends on if they get finances. Haven't kept up with the whole McCourt fiasco, but I doubt they have money this offseason.

If CJ does leave, I hope it wakes up the front office to lock up players before they can get to FA. LOOKING AT YOU HAMILTON.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels are shaving over 30 million off their current payroll with Gary Matthews Jr finally coming off the books, Kazmir option not being picked up, and Pineiro's deal being over. And Hunter's 18 mil a year comes off after 2012. If he resigns, it won't be for nearly that much. So they will go after a big bat for sure, likely Fielder (and trade Trumbo), and have money left over to sign a front-line pitcher. And with a new GM wanting to make a big splash, I expect the Angels to be very busy come hot stove time. If the Rangers want CJ long-term, they may have to break the bank. Just don't think he's worth that. I may be changing my tune in about 10 days though.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels are shaving over 30 million off their current payroll with Gary Matthews Jr finally coming off the books, Kazmir option not being picked up, and Pineiro's deal being over. And Hunter's 18 mil a year comes off after 2012. If he resigns, it won't be for nearly that much. So they will go after a big bat for sure, likely Fielder (and trade Trumbo), and have money left over to sign a front-line pitcher. And with a new GM wanting to make a big splash, I expect the Angels to be very busy come hot stove time. If the Rangers want CJ long-term, they may have to break the bank. Just don't think he's worth that. I may be changing my tune in about 10 days though.

according to articles i've read about the Angels they will not be involved in the CJ sweepstakes but i couldn't be wrong

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$19 mill actually with GMJ off the books and Kazmir still due 2.5mill next year.

Just the contracts they have currently signed, the are at $102M payroll...and that is for 9, NINE, players. They have another 6 that are Arb eligible that will add to that. Add back into that the fact they have to resign or replace guys like Pinero and Rodney and that the $102 number doesn't include a salary for Borjous, Trumbo, Trout, Conger, Walden, Chatwood, Casseveh.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see you've changed you're negativity regarding the rangers from their play to their front office....

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaver is getting about a 10 mil a year raise so that might explain the difference. And the Angels will go after a big bat before they spend big on another arm. But I think they might do both. They don't have good 4th and 5th starter options so they may just try to fill in these spots with lesser players.

But do you really get the feeling CJ wants to come back to Texas? I've heard a couple of interviews recently and he sounds like someone who wants to see what he is worth out there and then pick the best suitor based on his playing and location preferences. If the Dodgers get there finances in order with a new owner, I could easily see him in LA. That would be much better than seeing him in an Angel uniform next year. Of course I'd prefer he sign in Texas at around 15 mil a year, but he may want and get more elsewhere.