• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Eastern Conference Finals: Boston Celtics vs Miami Heat

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are weak links and then there are weak links... Miami's definitely got weaker links.

And there are ways of dictating match-ups... that will be a cat-and-mouse game, for sure.

I know that Miami/Spo has used zone more than the average team in the past... perhaps they will go to that option more often in this series, especially after Toronto was able to do so with mixed success.

You must think spo is dantoni or something.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, I think this is a bad match-up for Miami.

They are similar teams... wing heavy, wing orientated... except Boston has better wings overall.

Miami also has weak links on defense... guys like Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro come to mind... and Boston has too many play-makers for Miami to hide such guys.

Finally, Miami's game is the 3 point shot. Boston has one of the best 3 pt defenses in the NBA.

Of course, mine is a biased opinion.

No, it makes sense.

Milwaukee was a great matchup. Boston might be equally bad.

I have to watch a game before I make any judgements there.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Bam, Crowder, Iggy, Butler, and DJJ no longer play for Miami?

Have no idea why people think Miami will allow Robinson or Herro to be the primary defenders on the best Boston offensive players

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must think spo is dantoni or something.
I know Spo and the Heat have turned to the zone more often in semi-recent history (within the last couple of seasons)... so it's a part of their playbook. No?

I think it'll be interesting to see if Miami tries to take a page from the Raptors playbook after last series.

Maybe they won't... but there is no doubt Boston is gonna try to go after the likes of Robinson and Herro when they are on the floor... (obviously).

Boston's greatest strength on offense is they can consistently field line-ups with 3 or 4 guys who are a legitimate triple-threat options... therefore, Boston doesn't necessarily have to try to dictate switches... they can just get the ball to whoever a weak link is defending.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Spo and the Heat have turned to the zone more often in semi-recent history (within the last couple of seasons)... so it's a part of their playbook. No?

I think it'll be interesting to see if Miami tries to take a page from the Raptors playbook after last series.

Maybe they won't... but there is no doubt Boston is gonna try to go after the likes of Robinson and Herro when they are on the floor... (obviously).

Boston's greatest strength on offense is they can consistently field line-ups with 3 or 4 guys who are a legitimate triple-threat options... therefore, Boston doesn't necessarily have to try to dictate switches... they can just get the ball to whoever a weak link is defending.

Miami will love if Boston is running their offense through marcus smart because that's exactly whose 2 will be guarding most of the time

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be another tough series for the good guys in green. It could go either way. But I'm sticking with my team. Think the Celtics will take care of business. Gonna say Celtics in six. But wouldn't be surprsied if it goes seven.

I don't recall selling you the Celtics.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami will love if Boston is running their offense through marcus smart because that's exactly whose 2 will be guarding most of the time
Even if you love that match-up... modern defense is all about switching because modern offenses are so adept at dictating those switches... the idea that you can keep any weak link always on Smart is dubious.

That said: beware what you wish for. Smart is having a dynamite playoffs... the best he has ever played.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami shouldn't bother showing up. They can't stop Boston and they won't be able to score on Boston allegedly

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami... can't stop Boston and they won't be able to score on Boston allegedly
Now it's my turn to lol.

That's not what I said. I just gave my thoughts on the match-up, admitting I have a bias.

The proof of the pudding will be in the tasting, as they say.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, I think this is a bad match-up for Miami.

They are similar teams... wing heavy, wing orientated... except Boston has better wings overall.

Miami also has weak links on defense... guys like Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro come to mind... and Boston has too many play-makers for Miami to hide such guys.

Finally, Miami's game is the 3 point shot. Boston has one of the best 3 pt defenses in the NBA.

Of course, mine is a biased opinion.

I can't disagree with your points at all.

The Celtics abundance of wing players mixed with stout 3 pt D is why I lean them winning this series(slightly) even though I want Miami.

That said, you are missing a HUGE key. The Heat led by Jimmy live at the free throw line. Im pretty certain the Celtics struggle with fouls quite a bit and if Hayward is still out for a few games thats even more potentially killer for depth.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope the Clippers win, because y'know fuck the Lakers.
Tom Cruise Smile GIF

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Bam, Crowder, Iggy, Butler, and DJJ no longer play for Miami?

Have no idea why people think Miami will allow Robinson or Herro to be the primary defenders on the best Boston offensive players

Yeah. @Gman said it.

They just use Smart as a screener and get either Herro or Duncan switched onto one of their primary scorers.

The question is how will Spo react to that strategy?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. @Gman said it.

They just use Smart as a screener and get either Herro or Duncan switched onto one of their primary scorers.

How will Spo react? Well I'm guessing he'll curl up in bawl and start crying. Riley will have to leave his front office palace to calm him down then replace him for the series. And after the Celtics sweep the Heat in three Riley will finally be seen for the complete fraud he is and wiggy will have his revenge.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. @Gman said it.

Sure he not going to switch every single time to play into Boston strategy. Spo isn't a dumb guy. In the regular season then maybe but with a trip to the NBA finals on the line? Yeah good look hoping Spo switch all the time to give Boston the match up they want

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure he not going to switch every single time to play into Boston strategy. Spo isn't a dumb guy. In the regular season then maybe but with a trip to the NBA finals on the line? Yeah good look hoping Spo switch all the time to give Boston the match up they want

Of course he will have a strategy to counter it. That is the entire point of my post.

Will his strategy actually work though?