• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early signing period will start to have a big impact on coaching changes.

Tortilla Launcher

Defense is boring
Hoopla Cash
$ 354.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After going through a firing/hiring I have realized this is going to be bigger than I think some people think.

Some schools will be firing coaches much earlier, and in season most likely, in order to get discussions under way in a search for a replacement.

The search can not take long.. As the early period is mid December.

Coaches will also be employed past the early period and then let go (not likely) but if this were to happen all kids signing their LOI should be released from that obligation.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After going through a firing/hiring I have realized this is going to be bigger than I think some people think.

Some schools will be firing coaches much earlier, and in season most likely, in order to get discussions under way in a search for a replacement.

Coaches will also be employed past the early period and then let go (not likely) but if this were to happen all kids signing their LOI should be released from that obligation.
With the early signing period I think it is a necessity to hire sooner rather than later. But the delima comes into play when you make a HC hire and it is a coordinator for a team in the playoffs and they want to finish their season, similar to Bama’s OC. I get it, you want to finish what you started. The issue is you are essentially giving yourself no time to put together a class for your first year.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the early signing period I think it is a necessity to hire sooner rather than later. But the delima comes into play when you make a HC hire and it is a coordinator for a team in the playoffs and they want to finish their season, similar to Bama’s OC. I get it, you want to finish what you started. The issue is you are essentially giving yourself no time to put together a class for your first year.
Scott Frost did both, He recruited his ass off he and the ENTIRE UCF Staff both recruited for Nebraska and Coached in the Peach Bowl.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is precisely why Urban announced now than after the bowl

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Frost did both, He recruited his ass off he and the ENTIRE UCF Staff both recruited for Nebraska and Coached in the Peach Bowl.
Also was one game, not a playoff game which could lead to a second game. You make it to the title it’s another week and a half gone.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also was one game, not a playoff game which could lead to a second game. You make it to the title it’s another week and a half gone.
Not saying it is easy or ideal, but it happens. The Outgoing/Incoming coaches/staff have double the work load in these instances

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It really showed in the early part of the season.....

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really showed in the early part of the season.....
Well we also didnt have bowl season practice either so there is that. Plus it took time for the kids who werent going to buy in to be off the team. 20 players. there are a multitude of reasons. Not saying there wont be similar circumstance at landing spots, but it is a lot to point to one thing and blame another especially with this Nebraska team that had been getting participation trophies and able to opt out of workouts and other ridiculous crap that went on with previous staff. Every program has its own issues for why they are hiring a new coach. Some much worse than others, some are just different.

I firmly believe that at least the announcement should be made early enough for recruits to make a proper decision

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we also didnt have bowl season practice either so there is that. Plus it took time for the kids who werent going to buy in to be off the team. 20 players. there are a multitude of reasons. Not saying there wont be similar circumstance at landing spots, but it is a lot to point to one thing and blame another especially with this Nebraska team that had been getting participation trophies and able to opt out of workouts and other ridiculous crap that went on with previous staff. Every program has its own issues for why they are hiring a new coach. Some much worse than others, some are just different.

I firmly believe that at least the announcement should be made early enough for recruits to make a proper decision

Agreed, I was just busting your balls. I really like Frost, can't imagine he isn't successful there.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Saban retires, he's gonna wait until the day after signing day to announce it.

If who he wants to be his successor is on staff, I could see him doing like Bob Stoops and retiring during the summer, pretty much ensuring that his pick is the next coach.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If who he wants to be his successor is on staff, I could see him doing like Bob Stoops and retiring during the summer, pretty much ensuring that his pick is the next coach.
Saban has a process. A very successful process. He will end up being the coach with the biggest tree in history. Losing both coordinators this year...

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who fires their coach the year they take the team to the playoffs?

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing he's thinking of a coach leaving to go to a bigger program, which would still be doubtful.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was speaking in reference to Scott Frost coaching his bowl game instead of hitting the recruiting trail or any coach for that matter, when faced with either coaching out bowl season or going run their new program.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally never understood why Universities held onto coaches as along as they do when it's imminent that they're going to be fired.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally never understood why Universities held onto coaches as along as they do when it's imminent that they're going to be fired.
Some of it is the perception that a coach needs x number of years. Some is the asinine way they structure contracts.

The other is that people forget that university administrators are not regular business people. They usually are academics who are good at sucking money out of donors. Ass kissers aren’t the best at firing people.

ADs often are buddy bud with the coaches, and they too are better at kissing booster ass than running a business. No surprise they don’t like firing them. Firing people isn’t fun.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of it is the perception that a coach needs x number of years. Some is the asinine way they structure contracts.

The other is that people forget that university administrators are not regular business people. They usually are academics who are good at sucking money out of donors. Ass kissers aren’t the best at firing people.

ADs often are buddy bud with the coaches, and they too are better at kissing booster ass than running a business. No surprise they don’t like firing them. Firing people isn’t fun.
I can't think of an example now, but it happens every year. Coach is in his 3rd or 4th year, team still sucks and they wait until the end of the year to fire them. It's just dumb. Maybe it's the idea of abandoning a season like that but it just seems really dumb to keep a dead man as the coach. Hire a new guy and let them recruit for an extra month or two.

Hillbillyzombie

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of an example now, but it happens every year. Coach is in his 3rd or 4th year, team still sucks and they wait until the end of the year to fire them. It's just dumb. Maybe it's the idea of abandoning a season like that but it just seems really dumb to keep a dead man as the coach. Hire a new guy and let them recruit for an extra month or two.
Could have to do with how the coaches contract is worded as well. Might get even more money if they are fired in the middle of the season.