• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Earl Bennett

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expected to be released by the Bears, after refusing to take a pay cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played at Vanderbilt, with Cutle.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya...he's a reliable WR. Doesn't get the best separation and isn't a giant, but is tough and has good hands.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
>nods< Weems probably as well.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confirmed- Bennett released. I really liked Earl. I thought he kinda got a bad rap in recent years. Good player, just not as big or fast as others- I thought he was reliable and could have helped. With the weapons they have on O now, he was losing his targets. Just not enough balls to go around- Marshall, Jeffery, M. Bennett, Forte... they all want catches.
Earl did come through with a few 3rd down plays- hopefully this opens up a chance for Wilson to take a step forward- SPEED is needed and he's got it.

C

cubzzzfanincali

post Bennett, cap stands at $9.5 million, minus whatever we paid for Idonije and Steltz (those figures not yet available), so figure somewhere around $7.8 million.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda like when Rasheed Davis was cut, good player, really good hands, just not the right size and speed for a roster spot.

I know it was personal issues that had him miss that last game, but I think he was already here one year too long.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
post Bennett, cap stands at $9.5 million, minus whatever we paid for Idonije and Steltz (those figures not yet available), so figure somewhere around $7.8 million.

Bears also signed Danny McCray, a Dallas ST player.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I really liked Bennett. Not great, but an extremely solid WR with reliable hands and very good football instincts.

I don't like the comparison to Rashied. Bennett was a better athlete and a WR. People also forget Bennett was a very good punt returner for us in 09 when Hester was playing WR full-time.

I'm fine with the move, and the Weems cut too. IMO, that guy stinks. I don't see what made him a successful kick returner in ATL, because he stunk here every chance he got. Only thing he was good for was that he was a pretty aggressive SPT's player in all coverage units. However, those guys are always replaceable.

Whoever gets Bennett is landing a very solid player, and should be happy. As for us, I agree that it's time to move on to bigger and better things. Marquess Wilson potentially in the slot for us makes us the biggest freaking WR corp of all-time. lol, He's 6'3, can run, he's athletic, and has a very high ceiling. Looking forward to see him get a shot. Had a nice first down grab late in that GB game.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As per Overthecap.com the Bears are at $6,879,427 in available cap space. This does not have Izzy or Steltz listed on the roster. (great site if your interested in cap stuff)
BUT
I'm not worried about the cap and the Bears could still afford to add a high priced FA if needed (Jared Allen anyone?) Two things could still happen if needed:
1. Change a portion of Cutlers deal to bonus money. Any amount you want to give cap relief. If that right player were located and needed- Why they wouldn't do it:so it wouldn't count on the books for next year. (if I understand it correctly- say they switch 10M to a bonus this year- freeing up an additional 10M in cap space, then it would count next year instead...or spread out over a couple years.)
2. Extend Brandon Marshall...by extending him and adding some money and years, you could reduce his cap hit this season which stands as 9.3M freeing up a portion of that money for a particular player if Emery deems it's needed.

Again- if I understand it correctly- doing either of these things will "kick the can" down the road and we would have to pay for it on the cap in other years, but could be spread out the length of the contract. In Jay's case- it hurts this year to have a 22.5M cap hit, but that just means it won't be as big later in the deal. We had the space this season and it's smart to use it for a player like him, but it's still an option.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh... double checked- that is the number with Izzy signed and Earl Bennett released. Weems is still on this roster as of now but when cut will add 1.6M to the cap space. And give us $8,479,427 in space.

So sitting pretty... so far. Signing draft picks will cost about $4.5M... so not too shabby.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Earl . A very dependable guy on and off the field. But I saw this coming . Drafting Wilson, claiming Williams off the Saints PS. Both guys can probably do the same job, if not better. They're also cheaper.
Just hope Jay doesn't get too pissed he lost his buddy.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt they pick up Dominic Hixon?

Yes, but he is (what I got from Panthers page) primarily a STs coverage guy. Not a returner as mentioned on this board somewhere.
I doubt he fits in anywhere in WR duties. But could probably fit in, if there was an injury .

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he takes the pay cut. He's a STs ace that would be missed.

SPT's guys are a dime-a-dozen. Plenty of them that will be just as good coming through the ladder rounds of the draft.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they aren't worth a hill of beans

I hope he takes the pay cut. He's a STs ace that would be missed.

Eric Weems isn't an ace anything....he won't be missed by anyone...guys like weems are a dime a dozen at this point in his career. ..and at his price he isnt worth it

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPT's guys are a dime-a-dozen. Plenty of them that will be just as good coming through the ladder rounds of the draft.

exactly, and you end up playing a guy on special teams that might end up showing you enough to deserve some offensive snaps. Weems just instigates too much after the play just asking for unnecessary penalties.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As per Overthecap.com the Bears are at $6,879,427 in available cap space. This does not have Izzy or Steltz listed on the roster. (great site if your interested in cap stuff)
BUT
I'm not worried about the cap and the Bears could still afford to add a high priced FA if needed (Jared Allen anyone?) Two things could still happen if needed:
1. Change a portion of Cutlers deal to bonus money. Any amount you want to give cap relief. If that right player were located and needed- Why they wouldn't do it:so it wouldn't count on the books for next year. (if I understand it correctly- say they switch 10M to a bonus this year- freeing up an additional 10M in cap space, then it would count next year instead...or spread out over a couple years.)
2. Extend Brandon Marshall...by extending him and adding some money and years, you could reduce his cap hit this season which stands as 9.3M freeing up a portion of that money for a particular player if Emery deems it's needed.

Again- if I understand it correctly- doing either of these things will "kick the can" down the road and we would have to pay for it on the cap in other years, but could be spread out the length of the contract. In Jay's case- it hurts this year to have a 22.5M cap hit, but that just means it won't be as big later in the deal. We had the space this season and it's smart to use it for a player like him, but it's still an option.

Ok.......This is my take:

Jay cost us 22.5 on the cap? Did I read this right?
Now this is the best offense the bears possibly ever had(hard to tell unless you wanna dig deep in the different eras and thats for a different story right now).
So if they could restructure his contract already,into which I guess would be stupid being the ink has not dried yet,to save some money for some more free agents would be great.......
I don`t wanna hear that we are building this defense for the future,the future is now with this high powered offense we have.We don`t need to let it go to waste.We have no idea what 2015 season is gonna bring.We need that defense to step up right now if you ask me.
We are a couple of players away from it.
We don`t need a top 5 def,top 12 I would think could get us there tho.But with Seattle,SF and carolina as elite defenses,we may have to match that.I really think our offense cam`t score enough points against those teams and we know our def was horrible........
If jay wants a ring here,and if asked,he needs to be a team player and restructure his deal now rather than wait.......