• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Draft Grades 2020

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.21. WR Jalen Reagor, TCU A-

2.53. QB Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma C+

3.103. LB Davion Taylor, Colorado B+

4.127. S K'Von Wallace, Clemson A

4.145. OL Jack Driscoll, Auburn C

5.168. WR John Hightower, Boise State A-

6.196. LB Shaun Bradley, Temple D

6.200. WR Quez Watkins, Southern Miss A

6.210. OT Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn B+

7.233. LB Casey Toohill, Stanford D-

Rd 1: Jalen Reagor WR (A-)

*** It's clear the Eagles were looking for an outside speed threat (or threats) to compliment the 2 TE game with Ertz and Goedert. To me Reagor is exactly what the Eagles lacked last season when teams were cheating up because they did not respect anyone we had going deep. Reagor imo is not too much of a drop-off from Henry Ruggs who ended up being the first pick in the draft. Forget the 4.47 Reagor ran at the Combine, that was after gaining 10-11 lbs of muscle after the college season ended. If you watch the game film you can see that he's an explosive deep threat who was saddled with horrible QB play in 2019. Vegas put the over/under on yards for Reagor's rookie season at 800 and Vegas is not in the business of losing money … that tells me they expect a big year from Reagor and so do I.

*** I get that some people are very upset we could not trade up for CD Lamb and to top it off ended up with Dallas. I also think the Eagles had Lamb “slightly” above Reagor as they did attempt to trade up with Atlanta; likely for Lamb. I don't think however that they had Reagor as much of a drop off, so they were not going to give up Atlanta's asking price which was reported as a 2nd. The Eagles outside receivers last year were a bunch of practice squad players for a big portion of the year; Reagor is going to be a monster upgrade on the outside for Wentz combined with a healthy Djax. Any one of Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs would have made this grade an A, Reagor's A- is just for the drops which hopefully he cleans up with a real QB throwing him the ball. I would have given Justin Jefferson or Brandon Aiyuk an A- as well. Any other WR at 21 would have gotten B+ or less.

Rd 2: Jalen Hurts QB (C+)

*** Initially I hated this pick, but now I totally understand it. The Eagles know full well how important it is to have a “legit” backup option at QB. It is the one position where losing your primary guy could cost you the season weather it's at the beginning, middle or end. We were able to win a Superbowl because we had a legit backup behind Wentz who was able to step in and do much more than you would expect out of your typical backup QB. You are not likely to find that kind of talent by waiting till Rd 4 or 5, so the Eagles decided to fill that position with a 2nd round talent in Hurts. You have to look at reality in the face with Wentz … he is a solid starting QB, but he gets hurt. He got hurt in college and he's gotten hurt and missed time a lot in his short NFL career (hasn't been able to finish the past 3 seasons). Jalen Hurts will be groomed as your insurance policy for Wentz while also bringing a different skill set to the table in which he can still produce in certain packages despite not being a starter. Should Wentz go down again with injury in the near future, Hurts is a player who can help you win games instead of your typical backup QB whom you just hope doesn't cost you games.

*** The downside of this pick is that there was still a lot of talent left on the board at this point at other positions; but what player left would have come in and started right away? There were guys left like Jeremy Chinn and Ashtyn Davis whom I really liked, but would either of him been guaranteed a starting spot this year? Maybe, but we did address Safety in Rd 4 with a player whom many expected to be a 3rd round pick, so we got very good value. Everyone's Combine darling Denzel Mims was still there … but if he were really all that good, why were so many other WR's taken ahead of him? Plus we got good value at receiver later in the draft. Honestly, after looking at things more rationally and breaking down the reasoning … I'm fine with the Hurts pick. Two years from now if Carson is out for an extended period of time, it will be really nice to have a play maker like Hurts step in there as opposed to having a career backup step in there and give us no shot at going anywhere.

Rd 3: Davion Taylor LB (B+)

*** Taylor may not be ready to play Day 1 as this will be an abbreviated off season and he is a bit rawer than other prospects as he didn't play high school football. That being said, for a guy who didn't play football in high school, he tackles much better than most other LB'ers I watched on tape. His 40 speed translates to the field as well; he's incredibly fast to the ball carrier and can change direction in a heartbeat. He also uses that speed to get into the Lineman's chest to blow them backwards, he truly translated that speed to strength. Taylor is that new age hybrid speed LB with Safety cover skills the Eagles were after. Eventually Taylor will be a high ceiling every down LB for the Birds.

Rd 4: K'Von Wallace Safety (A)

*** In my opinion this is our best value pick of the draft. I did not realize how good this kid was until he was picked and I started digging up film on him; his instincts are off the chart. This was an excellent Safety class and because of that a talented player like Wallace dropped into Rd 4, but I think Wallace is squarely in the mix to potentially be a Game 1 starter. His size and weight are average and his measurables are above average, but not off the charts … but in watching film on him, I see everything that I want in a Safety. I know losing Jenkins hurt, but as a “whole” I'm feeling pretty good about our Safety depth this year with the additions of Parks and now Wallace. I think the Green Goblin will be a better Safety than Corner and we also brought back McLeod. That's a solid group and if need be we can move Avonte Maddox in there as well in certain packages. Good job by Howie in shoring up the position.

Rd 4: Jack Driscoll OL (C)

*** I do like some of Driscoll's game as he comes out of his stance quickly and gives a good initial pop to the defender moving forward. He has solid technique and functional strength from what I see and understands what he needs to do. I don't really see a Tackle however who will handle Pro DE type speed rushers. He'll do a solid job with your bull rushers as I see it being his forte, but his change of direction is a tad slow for the pro game. I have not watched as much tape on him yet as some of our other draft picks, so maybe I'm selling him short, but I see a backup Guard here … nothing about his game made me say “there's a future starter”. A lot of people like this pick though, so maybe there's something I'm just not seeing. I hope they are right and I'm wrong :)

Rd 5: John Hightower WR (A-)

*** Now here's a guy I'm excited about. Hightower in Rd 5 is a product of a receiver being in one of the best WR Draft Classes in a long time. He's a 3rd rounder all day in any other year's draft class, but the Eagles get the benefit of getting him this late. He is not a complete receiver, he is not going to win a bunch of contested catches and he isn't a guy likely to grab 6-8 balls per game. What he gives you however is a lanky deep threat with great speed who can take short to intermediate passes to the house or beat defenses over the top. The Eagles are not going to ask any of their outside receivers aside from maybe JJ Arcega Whiteside to catch a ton of balls .. that's what Ertz, Goedert and to an extent Greg Ward are for. All Hightower (whom I absolutely see making the team) will be asked to do is stretch the field when called upon and I think he will be really good at doing it. Great snag for the Eagles here!

Rd 6: Shaun Bradley LB (D)

*** This dude stinks. The only reason he's not an F is that he has some speed and it looks like he can drop back and cover fairly well. Close to the Line however he is not impressive … he can not fight through traffic, gives up on plays before they are over and needs assistance with tackles too often. Really no point in saying much else as I don't see this guy making the roster; actually surprised Bradley even got drafted at all.

Rd 6: Quez Watkins WR (A)

*** I get that Watkins' level of competition was bad and it's a guessing game how he handles the big step-up in competition at the pro level … so I can understand not using a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd round pick on him with such a talented WR class, but Rd 6??? Rd 6 for a 4.3 receiver who's a natural hands catcher and is phenomenal at drag or post routes??? What exactly am I missing here? Hightower was great value in Rd 5, but Watkins here could end up being a flat out steal. Again, just like Hightower, we don't need week to week production out of Watkins … we just need a big play here and there and make sure defenses stay honest. It will be an excellent battle if we do end up having camp as we are not likely to keep all 3 between Hightower, Watkins and Goodwin. Djax, Reagor and JJ (only one with size) are givens to make it. The rest is up for grabs, but wow, talk about going from no speed to possibly too many speed options!

Rd 6: Prince Tega Wanogho OT (B+)

*** This kid to me seems like a good OL coach away from being a solid NFL player. From what I've seen, he seems much more comfortable at RT than at LT, but he's really good at going out in the flats to block screens from either side. Strong and athletic for a Tackle. My biggest issue that I saw with him is that he puts his head down too often and over leans forward … thus losing balance a bit too often. That's just technique though which can be corrected with coaching. Overall I see a player with the potential to someday start in this league.

Rd 7: Casey Toohill LB/DE (D-)

*** I didn't see anything special watching his tape to make me think he will make this team. Seems like the only times he makes plays are when the blocking breaks down. Does not disengage well and rarely saw him with his hand in the ground (3-4 OLB not 4-3 DE). Nice impact tackler when he gets to the ball carrier, but I don't see him replacing any DE we have on the roster. Maybe they try him at SAM LB; that's the only chance for him to even make the practice squad.

Trade: Marquise Goodwin WR (B+)

*** Might as well say we got him for free, so why not see if he can stay healthy. If so he certainly still has a ton of speed to give Carson yet another deep ball option.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Wallace had Taylor's speed and Taylor had Wallace's instincts. But both these guys have skills to help right away on defense.

And on offense we got all the speed we were lacking. We needed speed at starter, we got it. We needed speed throughout the ranks, we got it.

The biggest risk to our season is an injured Wentz and we even have a backup plan for that.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed kills and that was apparently the moto going into the draft.
I agree with the Quez and Hightower evaluations and had both of them mocked to the Eagles at various times. Looking back it is fairly clear that Howie was going after Lamb or Reagor, period. I still think he was a bit of a reach at #21. Hurts is a stunning selection given the Eagles needs. I understand the need for a quality backup given Wentz history of injury but still not on board using a 2nd. He doesn’t even have the same style game. Wallace is another player who I had mocked to the Eagles and a solid pick. Both of the OLine selections of Driscoll and Tega I also had mocked to the Eagles and think they both stick around either on the roster or PS. Driscoll is IMO a guard prospect while Tega is definitely a RT although I am sure they will attempt to make him a swing player. I don’t like either of the later LB picks and not sure what the Eagles see in them. If you continually trade for more picks but are not wise in your selection what is the point?
The Eagles did pick up a couple of intriguing FA players in R. Williams and M. Warren who have potential.
Overall I give a C+.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can be sold on the thinking that has them taking a QB at 53. However, I’m not good with the evaluation. Hurts is an athlete playing QB not an athletic QB if that makes sense.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can be sold on the thinking that has them taking a QB at 53. However, I’m not good with the evaluation. Hurts is an athlete playing QB not an athletic QB if that makes sense.

I think Hurts has the potential to be a starter in this league ... but I don't think we got good "value" by taking him where we did. It sounds like most had him as a mid 3rd rounder at the earliest. I think we could have traded down to the late 2nd / early 3rd and still grabbed him. It's not like anyone had any clue that's who we were after. Then again, you can never be totally sure that you will get your guy once you trade down regardless of projections. I've heard rumors that the Patriots had him in their sights although that's something they would never admit.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hurts has the potential to be a starter in this league ... but I don't think we got good "value" by taking him where we did. It sounds like most had him as a mid 3rd rounder at the earliest. I think we could have traded down to the late 2nd / early 3rd and still grabbed him. It's not like anyone had any clue that's who we were after. Then again, you can never be totally sure that you will get your guy once you trade down regardless of projections. I've heard rumors that the Patriots had him in their sights although that's something they would never admit.

Ive wondered if they just couldn’t find a trade down at that point in the second. For as active as Howie was trading on Day 3 I have to believe they made some calls, couldn’t find anyone and maybe panicked a little that he would be there further down.

It’s a reach, no doubt. But it could be something that could work in more ways than one.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is we could have gotten Mims and Taylor or whoever was the BPA, and gotten Hurts in the 3rd. And that's a fact. Overall a C, but could have been a B+. Since we blew the 2nd round, Roseman could have traded with Atlanta, and we would have CeeDee, Hurts, and the rest of the draft, which was good.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we did a really nice job of filling needs with solid picks "after" the Jalen Hurts pick. We picked solid value in Taylor and Wallace at Safety and LB ... we got excellent value at WR by adding 3 speed guys aside from Reagor and imo got phenomenal value at OT in Price Tega whom many are calling as one of the steals of the draft ... plus we got my boy RB Michael Warren in the rookie free agency pool. What need did we really leave on the table that we can't do without because of the Jalen Hurts pick? Maybe a CB with size? ok ... but CB is such a hard position to hit on after Rd 1. Even in Rd 1 they are really hit or miss much more than other positions.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey, this one's for you:

I was just watching a replay of a Rich Eisen interview with Roseman after the draft - Eisen asked him to confirm a rumor why he took Shaun Bradley in the 6th. Howie confirmed that it was because his kid watched Space Jam, which had Shawn Bradley (the basketball player) in it, he saw the name Shaun Bradley on Howie's draft board and his kid made the pick because of the name association.

So you can blame Howie's kid for making the pick you liked the least.

Plus I was a bit pissed the Eagles didn't draft a RB, but then they signed Michael Warren after the draft to make up for it... He's going to make the 53 this year.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey, this one's for you:

I was just watching a replay of a Rich Eisen interview with Roseman after the draft - Eisen asked him to confirm a rumor why he took Shaun Bradley in the 6th. Howie confirmed that it was because his kid watched Space Jam, which had Shawn Bradley (the basketball player) in it, he saw the name Shaun Bradley on Howie's draft board and his kid made the pick because of the name association.

So you can blame Howie's kid for making the pick you liked the least.

Plus I was a bit pissed the Eagles didn't draft a RB, but then they signed Michael Warren after the draft to make up for it... He's going to make the 53 this year.

Priceless ... lol. Bill Belichick's dog seems to draft much better.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is we could have gotten Mims and Taylor or whoever was the BPA, and gotten Hurts in the 3rd. And that's a fact. Overall a C, but could have been a B+. Since we blew the 2nd round, Roseman could have traded with Atlanta, and we would have CeeDee, Hurts, and the rest of the draft, which was good.
Not a fact.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the bottom line on the Hurts pick. The Eagles love Carson as long as he's healthy, but they have doubts about him "staying" healthy. He was hurt in college, he's been hurt 3 out of 4 pro years and you never know when his back issues will flare up again. QB is the most important position on the field, you can survive a mid-season loss to a Safety or a LB etc ... but if you lose your QB and your only option is to put in is the Nate Sudfelds of the world your chances of going anywhere are slim to none. QB's take a little time to groom, so the best time to draft a QB is when you're not looking for a QB. The Eagles will groom Hurts in their system (while still getting value out of him in certain packages) and insure that the position is solid in future years if Carson were to go down.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the bottom line on the Hurts pick. The Eagles love Carson as long as he's healthy, but they have doubts about him "staying" healthy. He was hurt in college, he's been hurt 3 out of 4 pro years and you never know when his back issues will flare up again. QB is the most important position on the field, you can survive a mid-season loss to a Safety or a LB etc ... but if you lose your QB and your only option is to put in is the Nate Sudfelds of the world your chances of going anywhere are slim to none. QB's take a little time to groom, so the best time to draft a QB is when you're not looking for a QB. The Eagles will groom Hurts in their system (while still getting value out of him in certain packages) and insure that the position is solid in future years if Carson were to go down.
I agree. Hurts is in fact an insurance policy for Wentz. They don’t trust him to remain upright so in comes Hurts. Once you analyze the pick it makes perfect sense. Still not happy about it which makes me question Wentz.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Hurts can throw accurately from the pocket.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I am sure in time some of you will value the pick of Hurts a little better when he wins a game or two do to someone being hurt!

Or we see a long run by Wentz staying healthy

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One concern I have with the Hurts pick is that it is going to entice Pederson to do more fancy trick and gadget plays

Yes I know the Philly special helped in the Superbowl - it was a great play call at the time and successful

But more often than not those plays don't work and at times I feel Pederson tries to get too fancy with his play calling

anyways we'll see what happens

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One concern I have with the Hurts pick is that it is going to entice Pederson to do more fancy trick and gadget plays

Yes I know the Philly special helped in the Superbowl - it was a great play call at the time and successful

But more often than not those plays don't work and at times I feel Pederson tries to get too fancy with his play calling

anyways we'll see what happens
Hurts is really poised as a play unfolds, I bet he'll make most of them into positive plays.

But I agree. I don't want to disrupt the offense with that gadgetry. If Doug wants to run something risky then run a reverse with all the speed and leave the backup QB on the sidelines until he's really needed.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk I hear is that they might still get McClown back, s the #2, and look to getting a good pick back for Sudfeld.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some good stuff from one of the good, up and coming Eagles content guys around; his name is Liam Jenkins, give him a follow. Some good film on WR Jalen Reagor.