• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the WTF did I just watch?!
Early Hanks gig. As referenced in Stranger Things, in the late ‘70s to mid ‘80s, there was a narrative that D&D was brainwashing kids and was just a tool of the devil.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early Hanks gig. As referenced in Stranger Things, in the late ‘70s to mid ‘80s, there was a narrative that D&D was brainwashing kids and was just a tool of the devil.

lol I remember some Mom's that banned Magic The Gathering from the home because it was 'demonic' or sorcery evil or some shit. A buddy of mine always enjoyed playing and I gave him some cards. His Mom found them and literally burned them on the grill outside lol (or so I heard). My friend was super apologetic at school and I was dying of laughter. The next time I saw his Mom she asked me about the cards and I said I gave them to him so we could play the game and was sorry if this was upsetting to her. She seemed to calm down some and said, "Thanks for the gift but please check with me on gifts in the future."

It kind of ruined the friendship. My Mom respected the other Mom's wishes (Dad was pretty much like WTF? Cease contact with that family) but thought the grill and burning was absolutely ridiculous. I can't remember what cards but there was probably 100 or so. They might have been worth something significant today. Was nothing Alpha/Beta. though thankfully.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol I remember some Mom's that banned Magic The Gathering from the home because it was 'demonic' or sorcery evil or some shit. A buddy of mine always enjoyed playing and I gave him some cards. His Mom found them and literally burned them on the grill outside lol (or so I heard). My friend was super apologetic at school and I was dying of laughter. The next time I saw his Mom she asked me about the cards and I said I gave them to him so we could play the game and was sorry if this was upsetting to her. She seemed to calm down some and said, "Thanks for the gift but please check with me on gifts in the future."

It kind of ruined the friendship. My Mom respected the other Mom's wishes (Dad was pretty much like WTF? Cease contact with that family) but thought the grill and burning was absolutely ridiculous. I can't remember what cards but there was probably 100 or so. They might have been worth something significant today. Was nothing Alpha/Beta. though thankfully.
I had the vast bulk of my collection stolen about 10 years ago. Luckily, I had my “big” cards in a different bag (which I didn’t realize until I found them a few years later).

I had those dozen or so cards appraised a few years back, and the grand total was north of 10k. The rest of my collection was probably worth a grand total of $200 (Thousands of cards).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the vast bulk of my collection stolen about 10 years ago. Luckily, I had my “big” cards in a different bag (which I didn’t realize until I found them a few years later).

I had those dozen or so cards appraised a few years back, and the grand total was north of 10k. The rest of my collection was probably worth a grand total of $200 (Thousands of cards).

That sucks man. Yah MTG cards are worth a ton these days (at least the older sets).

I sold my collection on Ebay (highway robbery for the price I got, but it was my own doing) but hung onto several Alpha/Beta/Unlimited cards.... Alpha Moxes and the unlimited Black Lotus I have are still probably one of the highest ROI percentages in my lifetime lol.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks man. Yah MTG cards are worth a ton these days (at least the older sets).

I sold my collection on Ebay (highway robbery for the price I got, but it was my own doing) but hung onto several Alpha/Beta/Unlimited cards.... Alpha Moxes and the unlimited Black Lotus I have are still probably one of the highest ROI percentages in my lifetime lol.
I have a bunch of dual lands that are a couple hundred a piece. I have a slightly worn Time Walk and a near mint Candelabra.

My nephew (in college) is a big current player, and he loves looking at these cards. He couldn’t use any of them because they are all so old they aren’t legal in regular play anymore.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a bunch of dual lands that are a couple hundred a piece. I have a slightly worn Time Walk and a near mint Candelabra.

My nephew (in college) is a big current player, and he loves looking at these cards. He couldn’t use any of them because they are all so old they aren’t legal in regular play anymore.

That's awesome your nephew enjoys it. Yah dual lands are still a pretty penny.... I had quite a few and it pains me what I sold them for :( Not as painful as seeing kids in Jr. High slam 1st edition holo freshly opened Charizards on the table (granted I wasn't any wiser what that would later mean)... but yah.... Pretty insane some kids opened up a nice car or huge down payment on a good home in those days lol.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's awesome your nephew enjoys it. Yah dual lands are still a pretty penny.... I had quite a few and it pains me what I sold them for :( Not as painful as seeing kids in Jr. High slam 1st edition holo freshly opened Charizards on the table (granted I wasn't any wiser what that would later mean)... but yah.... Pretty insane some kids opened up a nice car or huge down payment on a good home in those days lol.
I decided somewhat early to go the proxy-route. You have to do that with the crazy value that ccg industry has. I still had rules for the decks I would build that I had to own every card I would proxy. If I only had 3 triskellion’s, I could only use 3 triskies in any deck I built (I could those 3 in all my decks, if I wanted…. I just couldn’t have more than 3 in a single deck).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided somewhat early to go the proxy-route. You have to do that with the crazy value that ccg industry has. I still had rules for the decks I would build that I had to own every card I would proxy. If I only had 3 triskellion’s, I could only use 3 triskies in any deck I built (I could those 3 in all my decks, if I wanted…. I just couldn’t have more than 3 in a single deck).

Ah. We had a rule among our group that if you owned the card (and legit showed it, whether in a hard case or not) you could print the card/image or just write something on paper. But when someone showed up and had a bunch of power 9 cards that they printed without owning an actual copy, we immediately banned that deck from playing lol.

We were pretty down with using any card to build a deck (just for fun) but our rule was you had to own the actual card - if you did and wanted to not get it damaged, then that was fine - but we needed PROOF DAMMIT! :D

I mean we also weren't hardcore by the rules and routinely did a multiplayer game (even with one guy that just had a full on burn/spell deck that we'd ask if he was allowing a play) lol. It was fun as hell though. I did a tournament a couple times and hated the format, and other players were so serious about it. Like, "Fuck you and your I'm not done yet." bullshit. Tap your fuckin' mana, play the card and fuck off lol.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah. We had a rule among our group that if you owned the card (and legit showed it, whether in a hard case or not) you could print the card/image or just write something on paper. But when someone showed up and had a bunch of power 9 cards that they printed without owning an actual copy, we immediately banned that deck from playing lol.

We were pretty down with using any card to build a deck (just for fun) but our rule was you had to own the actual card - if you did and wanted to not get it damaged, then that was fine - but we needed PROOF DAMMIT! :D
Absolutely. You need to have your proxy’s in your sideboard. That goes without saying.

But I played with a guy who didn’t follow those rules. He proxied everything and had no rules about use. That is probably the smarter way to play because it completely removes the cost factor, but I have been brainwashed by big-ccg, so I had to feed the beast.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Characters and classes (actor):

- Edgin the bard (Chris Pine)
- Holga the barbarian (Michelle Rodriguez)
- Xenk the paladin (Rege-Jean Page)
- Simon the sorcerer (Justice Smith)
- Doric the druid (Sophia Lillis)
- Forge the rogue (Hugh Grant)

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, yeah I saw that part in ST but I still can't believe people actually thought that, Lol?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, yeah I saw that part in ST but I still can't believe people actually thought that, Lol?
I ws just a rug rat at the time, but I remember the narrative. I never played D&D until 6th or 7th grade. But there was a kind of “oooooh, we are being BAD” feel to it because of all the anti-D&D put forward by mothers who were trying to save our souls.

And look at how I turned out…

Oh shit. Maybe they were right!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Characters and classes (actor):

- Edgin the bard (Chris Pine)
- Holga the barbarian (Michelle Rodriguez)
- Xenk the paladin (Rege-Jean Page)
- Simon the sorcerer (Justice Smith)
- Doric the druid (Sophia Lillis)
- Forge the rogue (Hugh Grant)
No alignments????

Pfffftt.....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No alignments????

Pfffftt.....
The alignments were what made playing your character so fun. I liked playing a chaotic-good dwarven warrior. We had an elvin thief in the party and I would always miss-throw my hammer into her head. Our DM would give me extra XP for that since it fit just about everything on my character so perfectly.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chaotic Good seems like a pretty typical modern movie alignment.

Was watching trailers and this one actually seemed the most interesting. Somehow. D&D movies have been Mystery Science Theater quality in the past. Chris Pine is probably in my top 20 current actors, though

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cast poster:

5sbvi7id834a1.jpg

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK poster:

tgsfnk20lo4a1.jpg

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This movie is looking like it might bomb.

A few weeks ago, it was revealed that D&D's Wizards of the Coast (WotC) was trying to revise the decades-old Open Gaming License (OGL) so that they could, among many other things, restrict the material in, gain ownership of, and charge royalties on D&D fan and third-party content.

This has ignited enormous backlash among D&D players and geek/gaming social media:

- D&D Beyond subscriptions are plummetting

- players are leaving D&D in droves for the roleplaying game Pathfinder from WotC's chief competitor Paizo

- there is a movement from this movie's core demographic to boycott this movie

This situation with WotC and Honor Among Thieves is reminiscent of DC and The Flash, with the companies having gone silent for an extended period on promoting the movies.