• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Duke-North Carolina TONIGHT

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice deflection. :clap:

There's no rule against rushing the court.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice deflection. :clap:

There's no rule against rushing the court.

I've many times said I don't see a problem with it, but trolly brought up a point last night about OSU's Smart. Though not a court rushing event, trolly is 100% correct that fans should not be anywhere near the players except hanging over the railing to give a high five.

I seem to recall a UK fan getting hurt at asembly hall when IU rushed the court a couple of years back.

My guess as more player/fan interaction issue come up....and schools are paying lawsuits....rule are going to change.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've many times said I don't see a problem with it, but trolly brought up a point last night about OSU's Smart. Though not a court rushing event, trolly is 100% correct that fans should not be anywhere near the players except hanging over the railing to give a high five.

I seem to recall a UK fan getting hurt at asembly hall when IU rushed the court a couple of years back.

My guess as more player/fan interaction issue come up....and schools are paying lawsuits....rule are going to change.

What the comparison is: students rushing the floor/a player running into the stands and pushing someone. One you're allowed to do, the other you're not. There are also rules against what fans can say. Consequences can be getting kicked out and/or the home team recieving a T.

We already discussed that.

I've never heard of a lawsuit being filed.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the comparison is: students rushing the floor/a player running into the stands and pushing someone. One you're allowed to do, the other you're not. There are also rules against what fans can say. Consequences can be getting kicked out and/or the home team recieving a T.

I'm saying one is coming. It seems fans are losing their minds more and more.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody in North Carolina could care any less about what you guys think considering storming the court. If we decide to storm the court, we will, end of story.

You're the North Carolina Freakin' Tar Heels, for fuck's sake. Elite of elite when it comes to basketball with a rich history and tradition. Act like it, IMO. You just made your rival look more elite than UNC. I don't recall Dookies rushing the court ever, especially after they beat UNC.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No the comparison is fans thinking they have the right to run on to the court, and fans thinking they have the right to say whatever they want to the players. I wasn't comparing you to Marcus Smart, I was comparing you to the fat asshole TT "superfan."

Rushing the court is trespassing. Just because it isn't frequently enforced doesn't mean that you have the right to do it.

txtarheels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the North Carolina Freakin' Tar Heels, for fuck's sake. Elite of elite when it comes to basketball with a rich history and tradition. Act like it, IMO. You just made your rival look more elite than UNC. I don't recall Dookies rushing the court ever, especially after they beat UNC.
Like they have already said, no one cares what u think. UNC has been down the last few years and that was a huge win. Not saying I agree with storming the court, but it was a big win. U don't understand the rilvery between the 2 schools. So u are d duke fan? how do u know that they don't storm the court. Looks like u are a horns fan to me.:lame:

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Typically teams unranked will storm/rush the court after beating a highly ranked team. UNC is/was currently unranked.

My point is that Duke is RARELY outside the top 15, even top 10. Pretty weird for a top 10 team to storm after beating at #4 ranked team.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have used the same rationalizations of "its just kids having fun or it's just kids being kids" to rationalize both behaviors. No, the behaviors aren't the same thing, but the rationalizations are, and they're just as misplaced in both instances.

You were trying to rationalize the behavior, and make excuses for it. If you don't think it's okay, then stop making excuses for it, and stop trying to rationalize it.

No, it wasn't the end of the world. Is that what it would take for it to be unacceptable? At what point do you draw the line? For me it's when a pointless action starts affecting the outcome of games in a sport I enjoy. If you'd rather let the fans decide the outcome, perhaps you might want to switch your primetime viewing during te week from ESPN to the other networks where you can watch America's Got the Voice Idol.

Here's the thing, I can't decide whether or not they do it, conferences need to step in and ban it or they don't, all on them. Until that happens the most I can do with it is disagree but also not get mad that in this world people make mistakes. I am not going to let things like that get me all riled up anymore its pointless.

I haven't done the research but I would be legitimately interested in a "study" done to what are the potential outcomes, what has already happened, what new things can happen, does the instance of the thought of it affect the team and coaches, etc. We can certainly answer those questions but there are people who are and will continue to be impartial about it all, some care some don't. How do you bridge the gap?

I'm all for solutions but I don't see this topic brought up in a serious manner often and until it does I might shake my head at it but I also won't care too much when fans get excited and do this shit. I've made mistakes in my life, and if I was rushing the court last night that would be a minor one.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CSB, Meet Trolly. Trolly, Meet CSB.

Trolly and I go back a ways as many people seem to have migrated from previous sites.

CSB seems to be ok. He hasn't been here long, but about every post is thoughtful.

I just wanted to jump in before we get to john0 level. And help a SU brother out before disarmament agreements are required. I might have failed the last one. :whistle:

Haha thanks man, all is well!

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing, I can't decide whether or not they do it, conferences need to step in and ban it or they don't, all on them. Until that happens the most I can do with it is disagree but also not get mad that in this world people make mistakes. I am not going to let things like that get me all riled up anymore its pointless.

I haven't done the research but I would be legitimately interested in a "study" done to what are the potential outcomes, what has already happened, what new things can happen, does the instance of the thought of it affect the team and coaches, etc. We can certainly answer those questions but there are people who are and will continue to be impartial about it all, some care some don't. How do you bridge the gap?

I'm all for solutions but I don't see this topic brought up in a serious manner often and until it does I might shake my head at it but I also won't care too much when fans get excited and do this shit. I've made mistakes in my life, and if I was rushing the court last night that would be a minor one.

I'm not saying you should get mad about it. Nor should you even care about it as much as I do. Everyone is going to have varying level of interest on the subject. My problem was your tacit approval of the practice by making excuses for those that do it. It's one thing if you think it's okay and you do that (a la NDHoosier) but I have a hard time with someone saying they don't approve, but then trying to justify the behavior.

No harm done though.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the comparison is fans thinking they have the right to run on to the court, and fans thinking they have the right to say whatever they want to the players. I wasn't comparing you to Marcus Smart, I was comparing you to the fat asshole TT "superfan."

Rushing the court is trespassing. Just because it isn't frequently enforced doesn't mean that you have the right to do it.

Never claimed it's a right. It's allowable, rarely causes injuries, and is socially acceptable.

The TT asshole superfan called Smart a piece of crap. Act holier than thou if you want, but I'm 100% sure you've screamed worse at a player and they didn't physically confront you.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like they have already said, no one cares what u think. UNC has been down the last few years and that was a huge win. Not saying I agree with storming the court, but it was a big win. U don't understand the rilvery between the 2 schools. So u are d duke fan? how do u know that they don't storm the court. Looks like u are a horns fan to me.:lame:

Oh, I'm no Duke fan. I can just tell you I have never seen Duke fans rush the court after beating UNC or anybody. Duke comes across as being too good or being above that, which they should, as should UNC. I am a Texas alum and as much as we've owned UNC during the Barnes era, our fans have never rushed the court (probably b/c basketball is our #3 sport), but still, even after we curbstomped top ten KU a few weeks ago, we didn't rush the court. UNC fans have no business rushing the court; ya'll should be above that; I'm not bad mouthing UNC, I'm saying this out of the respect I have for UNC basketball. Dean Smith was probably doing this after last night :L

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never claimed it's a right. It's allowable, rarely causes injuries, and is socially acceptable.

Making excuses for the behavior, justifying it, rationalizing it are all tacit approvals of the behavior.

The TT asshole superfan called Smart a piece of crap. Act holier than thou if you want, but I'm 100% sure you've screamed worse at a player and they didn't physically confront you.

1) Smart's reaction has nothing to do with this conversation. The point of the analogy was regarding the spectator's perceived right to have closer interactions with the players.

2) The last time I shouted anything at an opposing player was when I was 15 at a hockey game. It was improper when I did it then just as it is now.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying you should get mad about it. Nor should you even care about it as much as I do. Everyone is going to have varying level of interest on the subject. My problem was your tacit approval of the practice by making excuses for those that do it. It's one thing if you think it's okay and you do that (a la NDHoosier) but I have a hard time with someone saying they don't approve, but then trying to justify the behavior.

No harm done though.

No harm done of course, my justification has a lot to do with how little I tend to care about the topic. I understand people make mistakes (consistently sometimes) and since that behavior is one I can't control, one I am essentially powerless over, what's the point right?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm no Duke fan. I can just tell you I have never seen Duke fans rush the court after beating UNC or anybody. Duke comes across as being too good or being above that, which they should, as should UNC. I am a Texas alum and as much as we've owned UNC during the Barnes era, our fans have never rushed the court (probably b/c basketball is our #3 sport), but still, even after we curbstomped top ten KU a few weeks ago, we didn't rush the court. UNC fans have no business rushing the court; ya'll should be above that; I'm not bad mouthing UNC, I'm saying this out of the respect I have for UNC basketball. Dean Smith was probably doing this after last night :L

Wrong: examples of top dogs rushing the court including Duke when UNC was number one.

The First 68: Everybody court storms - SBNation.com