• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Drops!

Drop Blame

• Mayhew

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stafford

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • The receivers themselves

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • The coaching staff. This Jim, That Jim and the next Jim

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • The Day of the Week. (No drops on Monday)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never in my life have I heard or seen a quarterback taking the blame for WRs that drop passes. What is this world coming too? Did anyone see how Ryan and Brees kind of sucked it up yesterday too? Nevermind...

Only when it's a short one thrown 100 mph. I didn't see the game. The stats look familiar for a Lions loss except for the minimal penalties....turnovers, fumbles, missed FGs and now I take it a bunch of dropped passes. The Giants suck and Carolina is good, especially at home. :noidea:

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's can make bad throws. And Stafford had his share of them yesterday. However a dropped pass means it was catchable. and if it is catchable (meaning on target and not touched by a defensive player) then the QB did his job. Dropped passes are never the fault of anyone but the guy who didnt make the catch. You can blame the coach or GM for keeping the player who drops it on the team, or the QB for ever throwing to a guy who might drop it. But the drop itself is on the reciever.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Kreton 100% They adjust for shitty throws, a drop is a pass that was on-target, and a professional WR should catch passes that are on target, imo.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they should. But why don't ours?

Durham was awful, everybody knows that. Bell is awful, people are starting to realize that as well. Ebron had hands issues before he got here. BP covers his hands in graphite to avoid holding penalties. But Tate!?!

There were drops and fumbles galore, so Im not saying Stafford is to blame solely. Im not even saying hes to carrying a majority of the blame. But don't we have to put some consideration into the value of QBs throwing "a catchable ball"?

(Slightly off topic, did you guys see that TD catch by Brandon Marshall? Redamndiculous! Not that he doesn't drop his share of passes or anything.)

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never in my life have I heard or seen a quarterback taking the blame for WRs that drop passes. What is this world coming too? Did anyone see how Ryan and Brees kind of sucked it up yesterday too? Nevermind...

Golden Tate has had really good drop numbers and his career if suddenly his drop rate goes up is it all just on the wide receiver all of a sudden having bad hands or could there be a combination of both?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted, then read through the comments. I was surprised that I was the only one who put it on the coaching staff.

Make me an assistant receivers coach and give me benching powers, and I guarantee that this cot dam Lions problem will go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did notice that Stafford seemed to be throwing a much better spiral with more touch. I think that may have effected his longer passes though as he seemed short on some of them. I do not think he can take any blame for the drops this year.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted, then read through the comments. I was surprised that I was the only one who put it on the coaching staff.

Make me an assistant receivers coach and give me benching powers, and I guarantee that this cot dam Lions problem will go away.

Benching right now for drops is excessive. A pattern and a player should be benched, like Bell and his fumbles/drops. But CJ, Tate, Ebron 1 drop each doesn't worry me for now. It just sucks that they all had bad drops, in one game, that was close.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Surprised that you're the only one looking at coaching also.

Different coaching, Same problems, different tune than remember from some folks.

Maybe it's a grace period for this new staff?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benching right now for drops is excessive. A pattern and a player should be benched, like Bell and his fumbles/drops. But CJ, Tate, Ebron 1 drop each doesn't worry me for now. It just sucks that they all had bad drops, in one game, that was close.

Now you're just making assumptions.

Catching the ball is a mindset, and focus. Our receivers aren't being taught it. And I'm not saying that they would never drop a ball. That's just silly. But Lions receivers wouldn't be near the top in drops.

I'm also not saying that Mayhew doesn't play a part in this. If you want receivers to catch the ball, draft receivers who catch the ball. This isn't to say that Ebron will have drop problems in the NFL. Playing with the big boys may give him a focus he never had. These things can't be predicted. But usually drops in college will equate to drops in the NFL.

And not all receivers can be taught the mindset. Some will never get it. You keep the ones who can, and let the ones who can't be someone else's problem. It doesn't matter if Stafford has to throw a few more balls away. If the receivers are catching the ones being thrown to them, the chains will be moving more often than not. Not saying Calvin should be sent packing or benched because he drops the ball. He should be sent packing because of his contract. But we're locked in. So Calvin plays. He kind of overcomes his drops with his tremendous talent and work ethic.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised that you're the only one looking at coaching also.

Different coaching, Same problems, different tune than remember from some folks.

Maybe it's a grace period for this new staff?

I'm not ready to throw this staff under the bus. There were 0 drops the 1st game, and I'm not one who discounts the Lions effort because it was against the Giants. It wasn't so long ago that this Giants team beat the Lions, dealing yet another blow to their playoff hopes.

I can't make a pattern from two games.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thruthefog said:
Now This isn't to say that Ebron will have drop problems in the NFL. Playing with the big boys may give him a focus he never had. These things can't be predicted. But usually drops in college will equate to drops in the NFL.

In defense of Ebron, barely, is the fact the only metrics we had to go on was his final year (Junior year) and not the previous 2 years. He may very well have had better drop rates and they don't review any prior years.

Now saying that, everybody's hero in here, Jimmy Graham, had a 10%+ drop rate in 2012, yet rebounded to his better drop rate %'s of 2011 in 2013 (around 3%)

Dropped Passes: 2012 NFL Season
you got to scroll down quite a ways for years 2013 and 2011 but he's right on top in 2012. Click on specific yr.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

buzzcut%20math%20teacher.jpg

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of coaching, I am surprised the Titans lost a game. I figured with Whiz they would go undefeated forever. I read somewhere he was by far the best coach ever available to be hired...EVER I tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk you guys seem to be making alot of excuses for Calvin. It seems to me that he has trouble retaining the ball whenever he goes to the ground. Don't get me wrong glad he's a Lion and all but it is something I've started to notice with him.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk you guys seem to be making alot of excuses for Calvin. It seems to me that he has trouble retaining the ball whenever he goes to the ground. Don't get me wrong glad he's a Lion and all but it is something I've started to notice with him.

I have hammered CJ most likely more than anyone here. Superstars to me are held to higher standards not excusable ones.

Same way on Miggy on Tigers boards.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have hammered CJ most likely more than anyone here. Superstars to me are held to higher standards not excusable ones.

Same way on Miggy on Tigers boards.

It's not even that I feel like he should catch everything and he usually does a pretty damn good job bringing the ball in but.......my god man by now he should know enough that he has to maintain control of the ball when he goes to the ground. The last 2-3 years I've noticed that he doesn't do that enough and the worst part is it always seems like it's in the endzone. Still happier than a pig in shit he's a Lion though.

Btw didn't vote because I think it's a combo of Matty and the receivers fwiw.