• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Drills that can be done inside

Timkid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "saddest day of the year" thread got me thinking. I would like to know if anyone knows any drills for inside. I already do putting practice inside on the carpet. I also would like some drills to do that will help close face at impact and i come over the top. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tim

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "saddest day of the year" thread got me thinking. I would like to know if anyone knows any drills for inside. I already do putting practice inside on the carpet. I also would like some drills to do that will help close face at impact and i come over the top. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tim

The best anti over the top drill I know is to add a little hesitation between the end of the backswing and the beginning of the downswing. This can be accomplished simply by making your first move forward on the downswing be with your hips and not your arms. This allows your arms to drop into the "slot" on the downswing and follow you hips on an inside to out path. You will be surprised how powerful your swing feels just by beginning the downswing with your hips. It also helps you with preventing fat shots.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a fairly tall ceiling in my garage (full swings with every club) and when it's really cold, I can hit an old impact bag, just to keep making sure my weight is on my left side @ impact.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a fairly tall ceiling in my garage (full swings with every club) and when it's really cold, I can hit an old impact bag, just to keep making sure my weight is on my left side @ impact.

mmmm, good point. Absolutely critical to a good golf shot...........unless you are left handed that is.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mmmm, good point. Absolutely critical to a good golf shot...........unless you are left handed that is.

Very true...I've hit plenty of hang back hooks.

Actually I'm the reverse of Phil...natural lefty, but play RH.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true...I've hit plenty of hang back hooks.

Actually I'm the reverse of Phil...natural lefty, but play RH.

Ah yes, the old hang back and flip. I know it well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easier to find clubs?

No...just mentally wired the wrong way I think...as a kid playing street ball everyone came up and batting from the same side of the plate so I followed suit I guess...I was making contact pretty well so it stuck...so when I went the range the very first time the loner 7 irons were RH...been playing nearly 20 yrs now and never really hit LH clubs before until my cousin (also a lefty) bought a set a few yrs back. It doesn't feel right.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...just mentally wired the wrong way I think...as a kid playing street ball everyone came up and batting from the same side of the plate so I followed suit I guess...I was making contact pretty well so it stuck...so when I went the range the very first time the loner 7 irons were RH...been playing nearly 20 yrs now and never really hit LH clubs before until my cousin (also a lefty) bought a set a few yrs back. It doesn't feel right.

That's a shame. You gave up a huge advantage in baseball by doing that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a shame. You gave up a huge advantage in baseball by doing that.

Yeah exactly...at 10 or 11, I didn't know any better...being fairly tall, at least they had me playing 1st base once they figured out I was a lefty.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a golf swing analyzer ...there seem to plenty on the market for 100-150 bucks.

To me, that would seem to be most serious work you could do indoors.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah exactly...at 10 or 11, I didn't know any better...being fairly tall, at least they had me playing 1st base once they figured out I was a lefty.

I think the worst thing you can be in baseball is a guy who throws left and bats right because as a lefty you are limited in what positions you can play and batting right handed you are just like everyone else. The best, in my opinion, other than being a switch hitter, is batting left and throwing right. That way you can play any position and still be the left handed bat that teams are always looking for.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a golf swing analyzer ...there seem to plenty on the market for 100-150 bucks.

I respectfully disagree. I think those things are a waste of time. The only thing that matters in the golf swing is where the clubface is when you make contact with the ball. The ball doesn't know how the clubface got there, only that it is in the correct position at impact to hit a solid shot. Look at prime examples like Jim Furyk or Kenny Perry and especially Arnold Palmer. A swing analyzer would do nothing for them.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree. I think those things are a waste of time. The only thing that matters in the golf swing is where the clubface is when you make contact with the ball. The ball doesn't know how the clubface got there, only that it is in the correct position at impact to hit a solid shot. Look at prime examples like Jim Furyk or Kenny Perry and especially Arnold Palmer. A swing analyzer would do nothing for them.

There is now way you just wrote this. The idea that the entire golf swing means nothing is something I never thought someone would actually put in writing for all to see.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is now way you just wrote this. The idea that the entire golf swing means nothing is something I never thought someone would actually put in writing for all to see.

Fair enough.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the worst thing you can be in baseball is a guy who throws left and bats right because as a lefty you are limited in what positions you can play and batting right handed you are just like everyone else. The best, in my opinion, other than being a switch hitter, is batting left and throwing right. That way you can play any position and still be the left handed bat that teams are always looking for.

Probably why I never made it past stick ball.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

imo, one of the best things to do in the off season indoors (when you're middle age or greater) is stretching, and staying as flexible as possible.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't gather that from his post, but at the end of the day the club @ the impact position is the most important thing in the golf swing...the last golf instructor I had was really big into impact position and he would show all these pro golfers swings, some not so pretty if you will like Furyk, different body types (Nancy Lopez and Craig Stadler were in this footage)...then at the end he showed all the same swings frozen at impact and amazingly they all looked very similar. Then he would show your swing frozen @ impact.

Now there are many things along the way that will prevent you from being in a good impact position consistently.