• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Strategy - setting up trade value

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing a couple of mocks on yahoo. First money league draft for me tonight, 10 team league, mostly guys that are friend of a friend type. $50/buy in, 1st and 2nd place payout
bonuses for yardage; ppr; return TDs count for offensive players and DST
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLEX, K, DST
rest of rules pretty standard

1st mock - draft RBs heavy to build up trade interest. middle of draft order, pick 5.

Thoughts: being able to trade a RB from my team for a WR1 would be easy to do, and not lose too much depth, but gain great WR depth.
Going to draft my team stacked with WR2/3s, then if in a real draft, solidify team with trade in season.

results - round:
Stafford - 7
Ray Rice - 1
Chris Johnson - 2
Pierre Garcon - 4
James Jones - 6
Tavon Austin - 8
Brandon Myers - 13
Greg Zeurlein - 15
NYG DST - 14

Steven Ridley - 3
Lamar Miller - 5
Lance Moore - 9
Ryan Broyles - 11
Michael Floyd -10
Andy Dalton - 12

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really love this team if there was a way to land a deal. Obviously took a hit at TE for waiting, but my team is stacked with what I feel is a bunch of great WR2 and WR3 players, where I could be playing matchups all year. Still, this strategy would solely rely on getting a top WR through a trade, might even have to do a 2 for 1 to get a badass.

I almost pulled the trigger on Lamar Miller in 3rd round instead of Ridley, and when he was still there in the 5th, no way in hell could I have passed that up. WRs I could have had instead of Ridley - VJax, Andre, Cruz, Cobb, Roddy. WRs instead of Miller - Wallace, Decker, Antonio Brown

Stafford/Dalton combo should be good at QB. possibly could have waited one more round on QB1, but then I would have felt the need to get my backup within my next 2 picks. Stafford was the 8th QB taken off the board.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Ridley has the value people are giving him.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Ridley's TD potential. not sure the yards are going to be there

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Blount and bolden take a lot of those. Also, Dobson, gronk when he's back, Ballard, maybe sudfeld if he sneaks on the field, all through the air.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that Blount and Bolden are likely fighting for a roster spot and that Blount's performance was not all that impressive on film. The Eagles D was that bad.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but the last thing on my mind going into the draft is.....draft a team so I can make trades later.

I want to do the exact opposite.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but the last thing on my mind going into the draft is.....draft a team so I can make trades later.

I want to do the exact opposite.

Going over the results, if I would have went WR instead of Ridley, my team would have turned out a lot better. I could have taken another RB in place of Lance Moore - DRich Bradshaw Bernard Ivory were available - or possibly a better TE. Didn't see anyone get any good value picks at RB after the first couple tiers were picked over

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Jims_Doors - if you want to trade say Ridley for Julio, why not just draft Julio?

I don't want the balance in my roster to be at the mercy of other players.

(By the way, I'll toss Jim's Doors up for a nomination in the MBBRL B league.)

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd Mock - went with the end, position 10 of 10.

1. Trent Richardson (Cle - RB)
2. Alfred Morris (Was - RB)
3. Dwayne Bowe (KC - WR)
4. Hakeem Nicks (NYG - WR)
5. David Wilson (NYG - RB)
6. Torrey Smith (Bal - WR)
7. Cecil Shorts (Jac - WR)
8. Russell Wilson (Sea - QB)
9. T.Y. Hilton (Ind - WR)
10. Eddie Lacy (GB - RB)
11. Jared Cook (StL - TE)
12. St. Louis (StL - DEF)
13. Daryl Richardson (StL - RB)
14. DeAndre Hopkins (Hou - WR)
15. Mike Nugent (Cin - K)

didn't draft a backup QB, but Wilson has bye week 12, so I figured I'd stock up on WRs and RBs for my bench. I'll figure out who to pick up as QB2 later. Much more balanced team.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that Blount and Bolden are likely fighting for a roster spot and that Blount's performance was not all that impressive on film. The Eagles D was that bad.
Thats what I've been trying to tell these Blount smokers..(get it ?? ;) ) but for some reason they're true believers in the ex buc who couldn't carve out a goaline role.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with the don't draft to trade group. If someone would trade your guy for someone they took before him, they're an idiot. If they didn't draft him before you, why not just take him?

Unless you're looking at some complicated package deal it just doesn't seem like it is an approach that makes sense.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Link?

My opinion of him was only bolstered slightly by that game, to the point of seeing him running hard. The long TD was a garbage preseason play, and I was more happy with seeing him healthy and ready to go more than his numbers.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3. Dwayne Bowe (KC - WR)
10. Eddie Lacy (GB - RB)

didn't draft a backup QB, but Wilson has bye week 12, so I figured I'd stock up on WRs and RBs for my bench. I'll figure out who to pick up as QB2 later. Much more balanced team.

Alot better I think, my question is instead of Hakeem Nicks what other WR was avalible.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ega

3. Dwayne Bowe (KC - WR)
10. Eddie Lacy (GB - RB)

I would approach this a bit differently Monkey. Look at the RB quality available late in your draft. Lacy in round 10 and Richardson in 13? That is nuts. I know this is a mock, but in a 2 RB/ no flex league, I don't think you should go RB/RB unless you get a sick value. I would definitely look to get an elite WR in the second, if not Megatron late in the first. I think anything after 7 I would take Mega first.

I think your team would be a lot better in this format with a WR like Marshall, Dez or Green instead of Morris. Then you could take the best RB available in round 4 instead of Nicks.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I can tell the SportsHoopla culture is that if you're gonna cite, give a link (especially on the Politics board). Seems like a decent ground rule.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boston Herald believes LeGarrette Blount and Brandon Bolden are competing for the same roster spot.
The New England media isn't hesitating to draw conclusions from Blount's solid Friday performance against an embarrassingly bad Eagles defense. Bolden showed much more on the field than Blount last season, but hurt his standing with his four-game PED ban. He's also had trouble staying healthy. Whomever wins the "battle" would project as Stevan Ridley's direct backup on early downs. Aug 11 - 12:14 PM

From Rotoworld

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, Blount didn't show much last season because Tampa moved to Doug Martin. He broke 900 yards his first two seasons, which, while not dominant by any means, is more than bolden has done. I see five running backs on the final roster, though, and think as long as bolden shows he is healthy he will be OK.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ega

I would approach this a bit differently Monkey. Look at the RB quality available late in your draft. Lacy in round 10 and Richardson in 13? That is nuts. I know this is a mock, but in a 2 RB/ no flex league, I don't think you should go RB/RB unless you get a sick value. I would definitely look to get an elite WR in the second, if not Megatron late in the first. I think anything after 7 I would take Mega first.

I think your team would be a lot better in this format with a WR like Marshall, Dez or Green instead of Morris. Then you could take the best RB available in round 4 instead of Nicks.

i,m 100 per cent behind Tiance's thought process wr one instead of morris..

i sure would like to get Hopkins in 14 in my drafts....