• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft pick is outfielder

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds select Phillip Ervin in first round

The Reds selected Samford outfielder Phillip Ervin with the 27th pick in the MLB Draft Thursday. He was the first outfielder taken in the first round by the Reds since Drew Stubbs in 2006.

As a junior, Ervin hit .337 with 11 home runs, 14 doubles, 58 runs scored, 21 stolen bases and 40 RBI in 2013. He also had a .459 on-base percentage and .597 slugging percentage for the Bulldogs.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, draft picks are rarely targeted by position, they take the best available talent. They say this years draft talent isn't that great tip to bottom, but there are always some gems. Hope this is one of them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose if he brings a glove for the moment, assuming he signs, the differences will be between the aluminum and the wood. Everything else is more suspect than prospect. But, yeah ... there's a Matt Kemp in every box of Willie Tavaras cards.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second round: Mike Lorenzen, Cal Fullerton: This from Bleacher Report:

Michael Lorenzen is one of the most interesting prospects in the 2013 Draft Class. The 6'3", 195-pound Junior is a two-way player for Cal State Fullerton. He acts as the the team's closer, center fielder and clean-up hitter. The first thing that jumps out, when you watch Lorenzen, is his cannon for a right arm, which plays both in the outfield, as well as the pitcher's mound. His arm, along with his above average defensive instincts and athleticism, make him a plus-defender in center field, with plenty of arm to move to right if necessary.

The question teams must answer before spending an early-round pick on Lorenzen is whether or not he'll be drafted as a pitcher, or a hitter. Although he has a plus-fastball and potentially plus-slider, a pure relief pitcher, without starter upside, isn't an asset many teams will spend a early pick on. As a hitter, scouts question whether Lorenzen will ever hit enough to showcase his defensive ability on an everyday basis.

Third pick: Kevin Franklin, Gahr HS (California)

His Maxi-Preps report is here

Kevin Franklin (Gahr High School) Baseball Stats - MaxPreps

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of profile on Michah Owings- briefly with the Reds. Still has the Georgia HS record for HR, played 1b and pitched. An 85 mph fastball is good enough in HS, but WHY draft him as a pitcher, if he hit more HR than ANYONE in Georgia ever had ? He's back in the minors now, ala Ankiel, converting to a hitter, after wasting his pro career so far, as a pitcher that made MLB hitters look like his slugging self back in HS.

Scouting is tough, but sometimes the "brains" in player development derail better options. To be honest, as a former player after HS, and HS coach, I've seen a lot less coaching in ametuers than in the past, and it's pervasive at higher levels too. Coaches are reluctant to demand more from stud players than God gave them, frankly because most kids ego, parental interests and small school politics aren't receptive to criticism and higher expectations than just dominating inferior talent today.

Bonus babies like Buster Posey, Mike Trout and Bryce Harper are rare, not just for their superior talent, but their "feel" for the game at an early age. It isn't "feel" they were born with, only talent... They were willing students of a skilled teacher, at some early point in life. THAT is truly rare. Everyone that grew up being one of the best players they, or anyone around them knew, doesn't understand that at every higher level ALL players were that way, only better...and many if them won't change anything until they're failing, and for most, it's too late then. Bonus money sometimes just reinforces reluctance to cooperate with coaches and instructors. It's how you get a #1 pick to the Drew Stubbs situation.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the attitude that players ought to "go with what brung 'em" is manifested in underachievement by guys like Stubbs. With his speed, all he had to do was make contact. The rest of the time, he just waited on mistakes. Not many guys are like Votto, who improve at the HIGHEST level because that's the place you need to improve.

I thought the analysis of Lorensen is pretty interesting. He's being drafted as a pitcher, which makes sense. Those guys are harder to find than .250 outfielders. I suppose if he can't get people out, then he's an outfielder. BUT, he's evidently a closer in college, which sounds pretty much like the coach there is getting the most out of his talent for his own purposes. Nothing wrong with that. The kid plays outfield for 8 innings, comes in to get the save ... game over.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffey Jr was a closer in HS. Almost every player that played above HS pitched IN HS, and the smaller the school, the more common that is in college, too. It's simple- the best players are almost always the best athletes, and have the best arms... Whatcha want in a P...doesn't make them P better at higher levels, with the same lower level stuff.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Mike Leake could be our second-best shortstop.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Third pick is Mark (Don't call me Jack) Armstrong. Not sure what they mean by calling somebody "athletic." I guess it means he isn't Chris Christie.

Armstrong is a strong, athletic right-hander from just outside Buffalo. While his present stuff is good, it isn't as enticing as his upside of having three at least Major League-average offerings. Armstrong's fastball sits around 90 mph and he mixes in a hard, downer curveball and changeup. Scouts think he has the potential to improve thanks to clean mechanics and his 6-foot-3, 200-pound frame. Despite playing football and hockey in addition to baseball and not having as much game experience as his Southern counterparts, Armstrong already earns high marks for his pitchability. He is committed to Pittsburgh.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletic is a relative term. Is say anyone that gets something other than boos for playing a sport is athletic...I've heard basketball guys that can run and jump but can't shoot called athletic. Football players than can do same but can't throw or catch athletic. Id say no one ever called Big Papi athletic, but he's an athlete, like jockeys but unlike NASCAR drivers, IMO.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a way for sportswriters to say they admire a guy's body without adding that they really have no special interest in it beyond that.