• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft for the secondary?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the secondary is in jeopardy. Browner gone, Thurmond most likely gone. Thomas, Sherman and Maxwell are all in their last year of their rookie contracts and fitting them into the cap could be a problem. Still have Lane and Simon who was on the practice squad, I am thinking the Seahawks draft someone for insurance and leverage.
Same could be said for LBs with KJ Wright and Malcolm Smith in their last year of their contract.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah there are gonna be some tough decisions coming up and if we want to keep this team rolling were gonna need pete and JC to keep pulling magic in the draft and selecting the right rookies. I can see why the seahawks arent as aggressive as most other teams in free agency so far with the biggest news of resigning bennett. Its been mostly letting players go and saving cap

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is one position group I am not super worried about under this regime its the secondary. Im confident both Sherman and Thomas will be here next year. Even if it means one of them ends up being franchised. Maxwell is likely gone after this year because I assume he will play well and be out of our price range. Also we still have Lane for another two years. Also have guys like Tharold Simon and Akeem Auguste(Sherm is high on him) whom we havent seen and could be answers. Agree a guy we should target a guy in the later rounds like they do every year and we should be fine.
Also I know its a long shot but Im surprised Thurmond is still out there and didnt gain the market Browner did. If his price tag drops to 3-4 mill a year range I wonder if its possible he's back. Just a thought.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same could be said for LBs with KJ Wright and Malcolm Smith in their last year of their contract.
Yea I am a little more worried about the LBs. Also still not sure if Irvin is a long term answer here. Just keep in a eye on the group we have in training maybe we bring in an undrafted FA or two that fits the mold.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is one position group I am not super worried about under this regime its the secondary. Im confident both Sherman and Thomas will be here next year. Even if it means one of them ends up being franchised. Maxwell is likely gone after this year because I assume he will play well and be out of our price range. Also we still have Lane for another two years. Also have guys like Tharold Simon and Akeem Auguste(Sherm is high on him) whom we havent seen and could be answers. Agree a guy we should target a guy in the later rounds like they do every year and we should be fine.
Also I know its a long shot but Im surprised Thurmond is still out there and didnt gain the market Browner did. If his price tag drops to 3-4 mill a year range I wonder if its possible he's back. Just a thought.

I love to see it, but I got to think some team will give him more then that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope your right , but the math doesn't look that good. Remember next year the Seahawks most likely will want to talk extension with Wilson, KJ Wright is a consideration. I just not sure how they fit this together.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meant to say Im confident both Sherman and Thomas will be here BEYOND next year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane played well in replacement for Thurmond out of the slot and the Seahawks have high hope for Simon. Brandon Browner was not going to be a part of future plans and I don't believe that Thurmond is a done deal just yet. I can see drafting a CB in the later rounds for depth purposes, but I don't believe the secondary is in jeopardy just yet.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sort of thinking letting Thurmond walk may be a prudent decision. His health is a huge concern and I don't see the wisdom in tying up starter money on a nickel corner. Someone will likely give him starter money due to the fact that he is capable of being a #2 corner, but in our defense he would be the third stringer.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sort of thinking letting Thurmond walk may be a prudent decision. His health is a huge concern and I don't see the wisdom in tying up starter money on a nickel corner. Someone will likely give him starter money due to the fact that he is capable of being a #2 corner, but in our defense he would be the third stringer.
I only brought it up because it doesnt seem like his market is very hot but I could be wrong. I still put it at no more then a 15-20% chance of happening and only if its around a few million.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he capable of being at least a #2, but I don't see him being able to stay healthy, so letting someone else over pay for the gamble may be wise.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only brought it up because it doesnt seem like his market is very hot but I could be wrong. I still put it at no more then a 15-20% chance of happening and only if its around a few million.

I'm just saying I wouldn't give Thurmond starting CB money when he would be the nickel corner and when the Seahawks have an adequate replacement in Jeremy Lane.