• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft For Need Or Talent?

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has always been a big debate. I say draft great athletes for need.
speed, speed, speed
We will probably need another WR....a backup QB (lower round picks)
But other than that.....The draft and free agency, better be about defense.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always draft Best Player Available....

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this year's divisional playoff game, the Packers scored three TDs on three consecutive series.
In 2014, the COWBOY'S defense allowed two TDs late in that playoff game vs the Packers.
The COWBOY'S defense has very few athletes. And at a certain point, the defense has to be upgraded in a major way.
The COWBOY'S offense of 2014 and 2016 was fantastic. But it didn't matter.
and you can make the point...Seattle (and should be twice),Denver, Baltimore, and the Giants recently won Super Bowls with great defenses.
Both the Falcons and Patriots have better defenses than the BOYS.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in this draft, Dallas needs to be looking at defense in the first two rounds. Pass rusher and defensive back. After that, BPA.

Typically, I think BPA is the best way to go, but with such glaring holes on the defense you almost have to force it this year. I wouldn't be upset with a young RT or a good TE in the 1st, but we really need to defend the pass better. And as Star said, we need better athletes on defense to do it.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA, within reason. You probably aren't taking a QB or RB Round One.

You guys could pick up a nice CB or pass rusher at your spot. Someone's going to drop.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even though most always debate this point in absolutes. It is always the right thing to do as a blend of BPA with needs. (except for those rare occasions of a once in a generation player)

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as drafting for BPA or need, by the look of things, Dallas may have their pick from a group of players who fill various needs and would be in the conversation of BPA when Dallas picks. This draft is shaping up decently for Dallas' positions of need in the 1st round - a fair amount of talent at DE, CB, and S in the 1st round.

Mock drafts are mostly worthless. Outside of a few of the blue chips prospects no one really knows where these kids are going to land, but they are fun to look at. Here's one that I like...

Lance Zierlein mock draft 1.0: Browns get Garrett, Fournette

The back end of this mock draft is full of talent I would be happy to have. If Dallas could land Derek Barnett at #28 I would do back flips in the street.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this year's divisional playoff game, the Packers scored three TDs on three consecutive series.
In 2014, the COWBOY'S defense allowed two TDs late in that playoff game vs the Packers.
The COWBOY'S defense has very few athletes. And at a certain point, the defense has to be upgraded in a major way.
The COWBOY'S offense of 2014 and 2016 was fantastic. But it didn't matter.
and you can make the point...Seattle (and should be twice),Denver, Baltimore, and the Giants recently won Super Bowls with great defenses.
Both the Falcons and Patriots have better defenses than the BOYS.
My concern is as always, Jerry. He is going to say we'll we have J.S., Lawrence, Tapper, Collins on defense and he is going. think he does not need to add, except in late rounds or bargin basement free agents. He goes wide reciever and tight end in the first two rounds bypassing stud DE's CB. My fear.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as drafting for BPA or need, by the look of things, Dallas may have their pick from a group of players who fill various needs and would be in the conversation of BPA when Dallas picks. This draft is shaping up decently for Dallas' positions of need in the 1st round - a fair amount of talent at DE, CB, and S in the 1st round.

Mock drafts are mostly worthless. Outside of a few of the blue chips prospects no one really knows where these kids are going to land, but they are fun to look at. Here's one that I like...

Lance Zierlein mock draft 1.0: Browns get Garrett, Fournette

The back end of this mock draft is full of talent I would be happy to have. If Dallas could land Derek Barnett at #28 I would do back flips in the street.
Barnett would git nicely. JPeppers as well

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnett would git nicely. JPeppers as well

Or Jalen Tabor (CB)... Hell even Corey Davis (WR) would fill a needed role. Tons of possibilities.

Barnett and Peppers are on my short list of players I want at #28.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA, but while being aware of your needs. If 2 players are close you take the one that is the bigger need, but you never pass up what you think may be a future superstar just because you need to plug a hole...BPA can always lead to depth in the short run and allows you to let expensive vets go to keep cheaper younger guys in the long run.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As stated with the once in a generation player being the exception the correct answer is BPA for a need.

Example, if your whole o line needs to be revamped ideally you want a LT but if a Center is BPA at oline you go with the center.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't draft athletes, draft football players. Picking players purely on need is a horrible way to go. By all means adjust your board a little for need or positional value, but don't go into a Draft saying pick the best DL available. If someone in the top 16 on your board is still available when you come to pick then take them, especially if your next best player is rated 25.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a few years ago my thought for this team was talant and need were 55/45 in importance, now it's closer to 75/25 or 70/30 talant over need.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent will always win out IMHO

Example of a sore subject TE

WE need a DE but when the draft rolls to us a TE is the highest rated player on the board and DE are rated below below you pick the TE and move along even though we have a hall of fame IMHO bound TE in Witten you still pick the talent over the Need and don't look back

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent will always win out IMHO

Example of a sore subject TE

WE need a DE but when the draft rolls to us a TE is the highest rated player on the board and DE are rated below below you pick the TE and move along even though we have a hall of fame IMHO bound TE in Witten you still pick the talent over the Need and don't look back
Witten or no Witten in 17 TE is still a need.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what if Dalvin Cook slipped. RBs could fall. I could understand every pick but an RB

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends. There are times you draft for a need and there are times you draft talent.
Defense is a need. That being said. The position can vary depending on talent. Also if Mixon is available late you draft for talent.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't draft athletes, draft football players. Picking players purely on need is a horrible way to go. By all means adjust your board a little for need or positional value, but don't go into a Draft saying pick the best DL available. If someone in the top 16 on your board is still available when you come to pick then take them, especially if your next best player is rated 25.

You make little sense with this post. Who said anything about athletes vs football players? Who is saying pick the best this and that available?? If a stud defensive player is available in the first round, you pick him. If running back is in top sixteen and still available when you pick in the first round and Dallas does, that would be stupid. Stick to the Rams lol