• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dorsey as a NT?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think it'll be a 2-year deal. Not that you can take that to the bank. Just saying.

:(

I look t Dorsey like I looked at Rogers when he originally signed (I wanted 'em to sign the guy for 3 years instead of 1 year). Dorsey's a bargain right now (same with DHB).

Well, at least it's better than 1 year.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Third and long I'd much rather go with

But in those situations we'd have J. Smith and McDonald sliding inside who are way better pass rushers. I mean he can rotate in there, and we'd use him in 3rd and shorter downs. But third and long he'd be coming off the field in most cases.

He really was impressive in college (I know that was a long time ago) but maybe the fit and coaching here can turn it around. At least he's shown the ability in the past so maybe it could surface again.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Third and long I'd much rather go with

But in those situations we'd have J. Smith and McDonald sliding inside who are way better pass rushers. I mean he can rotate in there, and we'd use him in 3rd and shorter downs. But third and long he'd be coming off the field in most cases.

I wouldn't be surprise if we saw a Smith Smith Dorsey McDonald front 4 and even a Smith Smith Dorsey Brooks front 4 as well.

I think we're going to see a lot more rotation this year so I think Dorsey will see a number of snaps at both NT and DT.

I think Williams will rotate with Dorsey at NT and Dorsey will rotate with Smith and Ray McDonald when they are in 4 man fronts.

They're crazy if they don't have a lot more rotation this season as they are putting a ton of miles on the guys up front and it shows at the end of the season.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'll be a 2-year deal. Not that you can take that to the bank. Just saying.

Dorsey's agent is saying it's a 2 year deal for up to $7mil. Not bad for a starting NT, esp. when you consider that Sop is getting $4mil a year.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got pretty good value on this one, certainly not start money though. I'm hoping that he pans out.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're crazy if they don't have a lot more rotation this season as they are putting a ton of miles on the guys up front and it shows at the end of the season.

This.

Also, I think the Williams extension was a subtle but definite vote of confidence. Look at what happened with Bowman, Boone, Miller, Kaep. I think our FO has been pretty excellent in knowing when to let guys go and have the youngsters step in. I just wish I knew why we still have Whitner....

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Also, I think the Williams extension was a subtle but definite vote of confidence. Look at what happened with Bowman, Boone, Miller, Kaep. I think our FO has been pretty excellent in knowing when to let guys go and have the youngsters step in. I just wish I knew why we still have Whitner....

Mem, the answer is in the roster. We have depth at some positions, youngsters worth allowing vets to leave. SS is just one of those positions that we really don't have someone there for. Whitner is still on the roster because he is simply our best option at the moment. Spilman and Robinson haven't really shown anything that would lead anyone to believe that their abilities at either S position are good enough to knock off a Pro Bowler. Whitner, warts and all, is still one of the better S in the league. We piss and moan about his pass coverage but he is one of the best run-stoppers, surest tacklers, and consistently hardest hitters at the SS in the league.

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mem, the answer is in the roster. We have depth at some positions, youngsters worth allowing vets to leave. SS is just one of those positions that we really don't have someone there for. Whitner is still on the roster because he is simply our best option at the moment. Spilman and Robinson haven't really shown anything that would lead anyone to believe that their abilities at either S position are good enough to knock off a Pro Bowler. Whitner, warts and all, is still one of the better S in the league. We piss and moan about his pass coverage but he is one of the best run-stoppers, surest tacklers, and consistently hardest hitters at the SS in the league.

It is very important. kidding me? Just like former 49er Michael Lewis and Landry... good run-stopper, solid tackler, and consistently hardest hitters ...Can hit you like a ton of bricks but his coverage skills are comparable to a Junior Varsity highscool kid. How Whitner was a "pro-bowl" caliber safety is beyond me. Tells you how laughable a pro bowl selection is. As for the thread, Dorsey Is an excellent addition.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The probowl has become a bad joke. It was McNabb & Vick were getting in every year; now it's gotten ridiculous.

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro Bowl/All star selections in all sports in general are ridiculous. Combination of ignorant fans and the hierarchy of the NFL/NBA/MLB etc. It use to have meant something, An accomplishment. Now its who give a :censored:
Sickening. Even if its a player from the team you root for.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please feel free to list SS in the NFC significantly better then Whitner. Not comparable, significantly better. Right now at this stage in their respective careers. Go ahead. Pro Bowl may be a popularity contest to an extent but at the same time, scrubs aren't getting it either. If you want to make a case for 3-4 SS significantly better then Whitner, please be my guest. There are plenty on both AFC and NFC that are comparable, but few that are significantly better.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To compare Whitner to Michael Lewis is laughable.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please feel free to list SS in the NFC significantly better then Whitner. Not comparable, significantly better. Right now at this stage in their respective careers. Go ahead. Pro Bowl may be a popularity contest to an extent but at the same time, scrubs aren't getting it either. If you want to make a case for 3-4 SS significantly better then Whitner, please be my guest. There are plenty on both AFC and NFC that are comparable, but few that are significantly better.

I can't really think of many who are significantly better in the NFC other than Kam Chancellor and possibly Morgan Burnett. I think Mark Barron will eventually be significantly better and Major Wright is better in coverage.

Still, no other safety gave up more touchdowns than Whit last year, so even if he is a great tackler, he's extremely poor in coverage. If I'd have to choose, I'd rather have a guy that's average or a little above in both categories than a guy that's great in one area, but really sucks in the other. It's easier for teams to attack that weak spot when that's the case.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't be surprise if we saw a Smith Smith Dorsey McDonald front 4 and even a Smith Smith Dorsey Brooks front 4 as well.

That's what I was thinking, good post overall Jikkle. Wouldn't be surprised to see them with more 4-man fronts with the personnel they have now. Are there many/any sub-300 pounders playing NT in the NFL? Lacking any of the real huge guys, maybe its just necessity, maybe its a planned move, but possible they'll go away from the 3-4 a bit.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

there are plenty of linebackers who can cover better than whitner

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if Dorsey weighs 315.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Glenn Dorsey - DL - 49ers

The 49ers gave DL Glenn Dorsey no assurances on his role when they signed him to a two-year, $6 million deal on March 13.

"No, I’m coming into it trying to play whatever they want me to play," he said. "I don't have no set spot." Dorsey is penciled in (lightly) at nose tackle, but at 6-foot-1 and just over 300 pounds, it's not an ideal position in the Niners' 3-4. The 49ers would prefer Dorsey to fill Ricky Jean-Francois' shoes as a utility lineman capable of backing up all three positions up front.
Source: Sports Radio Interviews

Mar 25 - 11:47 AM

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pro Bowl/All star selections in all sports in general are ridiculous. Combination of ignorant fans and the hierarchy of the NFL/NBA/MLB etc. It use to have meant something, An accomplishment. Now its who give a :censored:
Sickening. Even if its a player from the team you root for.

Yeah, particularly with so many guys bowing out because of the super bowl and injuries. They need to name a team, and only those guys should be able to refer to themselves as "pro bowlers." When half the starting roster doesn't show up, and six or seven QBs in each conference are "pro bowlers," it loses any meaning. 18 replacement players made it in the NFC alone this year. It's just silly.