• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dorsey as a NT?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Will have to see the numbers on it before we can say how good of a signing it is.

Knowing the FO it's probably a pretty reasonable deal.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keeping the tradition alive for taking on former high 1st Rd vets. He should be a really good rotational option but I'm not really jumping up and down. Would have liked Odrick instead.

Thought he would have tried to go to a 4-3 team after reading this board. Don't think he'll get much playing time on 3rd downs when we're in a four d-line set, which is the main reason I'm not jumping up and down. You never know, they may try him in at NT sporadically but he'd have to gain some weight.

I am surprised this guy was never a real force. Maybe Justin can show him some techniques (?) and hopefully he blew through his money already.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said when this thread was started that I like this guy, good run stopper and a change of scenery will be nice and he will have some of the leagues top coaches to motivate him

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Dorsey as a NT, but i think they will find effective ways to use him. Love it depending on what we paid him.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said when this thread was started that I like this guy, good run stopper and a change of scenery will be nice and he will have some of the leagues top coaches to motivate him

I don't expect Dorsey to be All Pro but I do think that having Tomsula makes this signing a hidden gem!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok, so thats at least four guys we'll draft on day 1 and day 2.....i think

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was a sincere compliment, folks mess those up all the time. Not saying I was surprised he got it correct, just pointing out a job well done. Are you trying to :ss:?

I was just talking ish Mem

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Glenn Dorsey - DL - 49ers

49ers agreed to terms with DE Glenn Dorsey, formerly of the Chiefs.

Dorsey made San Francisco his lone free-agent visit. The Chiefs initially wanted him back, but they went out and signed DL Mike DeVito on Tuesday. Dorsey is a quality run defender, and he'll slide into the role vacated by free agent DL Ricky Jean-Francois, acting as the top backup at the end spots.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 13 - 3:26 PM

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what about Dobbs?

he started out looking good at DE?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought he would have tried to go to a 4-3 team after reading this board. Don't think he'll get much playing time on 3rd downs when we're in a four d-line set, which is the main reason I'm not jumping up and down. You never know, they may try him in at NT sporadically but he'd have to gain some weight.

Dorsey did seen to fit 4-3 DT coming out of LSU so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where we stick him when we're in 4 man fronts. I also wonder how much we value the NT position. I know it's the heart of most 3-4's but seeing as how Sop was used so sparingly, I'm not sure how heavily the FO will invest on the position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is the second time this has happened this offseason! I suggest Armstead to try out at TE, and NFL teams have him try out at TE. i suggest Dorsey at NT, guess who's the new "man in the middle?"

They're reaidng my posts! Why didn't you listen to me about trading for Steve Smith last year you doughnut holes!

Posted on March 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm by Eric Branch in 49ers

Meet the new man in the middle: Glenn Dorsey.

The 49ers have signed the No. 5 pick in the 2008 draft who won the Outland, Lombardi, Nagurski and Lott awards as a consensus first-team All-American at LSU.

Dorsey (6-1, 297), however, has failed to deliver similar production in the NFL. In five seasons as a starter with the Chiefs, he’s collected four sacks, one forced fumble and averaged 31.8 tackles a season. Last year, he missed 12 games with two separate calf injuries.

Dorsey, 27, could benefit from a change of scenery. He was primarily a defensive end with the Chiefs, but figures to log the majority of his snaps at nose guard in San Francisco’s 3-4 defense. In college, he played inside in LSU’s 4-3 scheme.

On Tuesday, San Francisco’s starting nose guard, Isaac Sopoaga, signed a three-year deal with the Eagles. Nose guard/defensive tackle Ricky Jean Francois is visiting Philadelphia today.

Louisiana-based draft analyst, Mike Detillier, who saw each of Dorsey’s home games at LSU, believes he’ll become a more productive player with a job description that more closely mirrors the one he had in college.

“I think every year, there are seven or eight players — no matter what team drafts them — they’re going to be great players and perform at the same level,” said Detillier, who also works for the Saints radio network. “For the other guys, a lot of times it’s fit. I just never thought it was the right fit for him in Kansas City.”

Dorsey could also benefit from working with 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, one of the NFL’s most highly respected assistants.

ESPN reported Dorsey’s signing. Financial terms have not been disclosed.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dorsey did seen to fit 4-3 DT coming out of LSU so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where we stick him when we're in 4 man fronts. I also wonder how much we value the NT position. I know it's the heart of most 3-4's but seeing as how Sop was used so sparingly, I'm not sure how heavily the FO will invest on the position.

Third and long I'd much rather go with

But in those situations we'd have J. Smith and McDonald sliding inside who are way better pass rushers. I mean he can rotate in there, and we'd use him in 3rd and shorter downs. But third and long he'd be coming off the field in most cases.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
another example (partially?) of having a HIGH draft pick, but making the wrong player choice. no matter what spot you draft from, you still have to choose wisely.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Any word on the contract details for Dorsey? Did he get more or less than Sopoaga?

I'm LOVING this move. And not just because it was my idea; I see Dorsey kind of like Justin Smith was as a 4-3 DE. Great run-stopper, not a lot of pressure on the QB. He moves to the 5, he's all-world. Dorsey could do the same thing at NT. He's already great against the run; now maybe he'll get a little penetration in a position where quickness isn't as important.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any word on the contract details for Dorsey? Did he get more or less than Sopoaga?

I'm LOVING this move. And not just because it was my idea; I see Dorsey kind of like Justin Smith was as a 4-3 DE. Great run-stopper, not a lot of pressure on the QB. He moves to the 5, he's all-world. Dorsey could do the same thing at NT. He's already great against the run; now maybe he'll get a little penetration in a position where quickness isn't as important.

No.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I hope they signed him long-term. They're going to need some starters whose salaries aren't very high in the long-run so they have the room to extend Kaep, Aldon & Iupati.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope they signed him long-term. They're going to need some starters whose salaries aren't very high in the long-run so they have the room to extend Kaep, Aldon & Iupati.

I think it'll be a 2-year deal. Not that you can take that to the bank. Just saying.