• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dorsey as a NT?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Mentioned this in the other thread, but I wanted to see what people think.

Dorsey is actually a very good run-stopper. He's a little small to play NT, but even Soap only played 30% of the snaps. What would you think of Dorsey playing NT?

Side note: he's listed 6 pounds lighter than Ian Williams. Same height.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Dorsey is not a NT and I would be really surprised if anyone ever tried him there. He struggled in the 3-4 for years, his final year was just starting to get the hang of DE. I think he would be great at 4-3 DT, I think he is wasted in the 3-4 and only a slightly good player in that scheme. Not a NT though, no way.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No Dorsey is not a NT and I would be really surprised if anyone ever tried him there. He struggled in the 3-4 for years, his final year was just starting to get the hang of DE. I think he would be great at 4-3 DT, I think he is wasted in the 3-4 and only a slightly good player in that scheme. Not a NT though, no way.

:agree:

He seems to be a late bloomer sort of speak. Type of player that finally show signs of promise within his 5th-6th year in the league by making it as a probowl alternate as a 3-4 DE. I wouldn't mind adding him on our team at all, simply to give Ray and Justin occasional breathers without having to worry about him being a weak link...

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think he is immediately on par with Ray Mac, if not a step above. I personally have never been enthralled with Ray Mac as a starter..

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is immediately on par with Ray Mac, if not a step above. I personally have never been enthralled with Ray Mac as a starter..

You're out of your damn mind. :hellno:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd like to explain my response. While Dorsey is very good against the run and may very well be on par with McDonald, he is not even in the same universe as McDonald when it comes to pass rush. McDonald is heads a shoulders better when talking in terms of the total package.

This is less of an indictment of Dorsey and more in favor of McDonald. The guy is a beast.

This is not me guessing either, I watch every 49ers game (being a lifetime fan) and every Chiefs game (living in Kansas) every year.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think it could have been the defensive design/implementation that contributed to that. I know when Dorsey was coming out in '08, many viewed him as having incredible penetration ability from the DT position. Now I know its different in a 3-4 and Ray Mac is a good pass rushing DE, I believe Dorsey is a better run stopper and on the same level as a rusher. Therefore to me, he would be an upgrade over Ray Mac. Just my opinion..

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would like to point this post out as an excellent example of proper you're and your usage. Bravo, good sir, bravo. :suds:

Damn, Mem. That's an insult to Dub. The guy graduated from a very good expensive college. He probably knew the difference between your or you're since leaving elementary school - if not sooner than that.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it could have been the defensive design/implementation that contributed to that. I know when Dorsey was coming out in '08, many viewed him as having incredible penetration ability from the DT position. Now I know its different in a 3-4 and Ray Mac is a good pass rushing DE, I believe Dorsey is a better run stopper and on the same level as a rusher. Therefore to me, he would be an upgrade over Ray Mac. Just my opinion..

You can't base your opinion on college play, the NFL is a whole different monster.

Based on what they have both show in the NFL, Ray is significantly better as a pass rusher.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd welcome Dorsey if anthing, backup or depth. I would try him at NT, if not, he could be a backup...

right now, he's better than what we have at NT right now...

of course, if we do sign him...

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You can't base your opinion on college play, the NFL is a whole different monster.

Based on what they have both show in the NFL, Ray is significantly better as a pass rusher.

I wasn't necessarily basing his value/pass rushing ability on his College performance. I was bringing up the fact that when he came out, that was a benefit of his game. Granted in the NFL he hasn't showcased that, again possibly due to defensive design? Also, completely possible it was due to inability. Personally, I would believe it is more towards defensive desgn and the fact he(imo) is/was miscast as a NT.

Yea Ray has been a better rusher to this point of their careers, however he is a complete and utter liability in the run game and holding OL for the Aldon stunt. This to me is where Dorsey presents the clear upgrade.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, Chiefs free-agent defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey is currently meeting with 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula and others in Santa Clara. The 49ers lost starting nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga to the Eagles and are in danger of seeing another nose tackle, Ricky Jean Francois, go as well. Dorsey was miscast as a defensive end in a 3-4 system with the Chiefs. It's unknown how he feels about playing nose tackle in the 49ers' defense.

Read more here: 49ers Blog and Q&A: 49ers FA update: Dorsey in the building; Landry next?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, teams are running a lot of passing formations against us so a penetrating NT would be key... hopefully that favors Dorsey...

plus being around a winning culture could change him as well

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
lol.. well there goes my theory, haha

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Mem. That's an insult to Dub. The guy graduated from a very good expensive college. He probably knew the difference between your or you're since leaving elementary school - if not sooner than that.

That was a sincere compliment, folks mess those up all the time. Not saying I was surprised he got it correct, just pointing out a job well done. Are you trying to :ss:?

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Schefter:

And 49ers have reached agreement with former Chiefs DT Glenn Dorsey.