• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't get Too Excited About The 49ers Moving Up to #3 In The Draft

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ownership was against it, Jed would've nixed the trade up. Jed is allowing them to draft whomever they see fit, and thats good.
No not against it. Just not on the same page as to who the pick ought to be.
I would hope all are on the same page
I fully expect that Shanny will get his guy. He just needs to get it right.
Lets face it. Who ever it is will be going into a great situation

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No. You're the one who keeps saying that. I'm saying intangibles( what ever makes those up) isn't enough
I didn't spend anytime scouting QB's. I don't have that deep of an opinion on who would be my guy
Now I watched plenty of Bama games a few OSU games and 1 NDST game(but not for the QB).
i am NOT saying that, but am trying to figure out what you meant by this post:

"That may be true but Ohio St QB's have not done well in the NFL."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Coaches who are under contract for the next 5 years are not on a short leash. Shanny has zero fear of being fired and correctly so.

Yorks' history with the team is what forced them to sign Shanny to a 6yr deal,-- ridiculously long for a first time HC--and then his success forced them to sign him to an equally ridiculous 6 year extension. If York and the gang send Shanny packing anytime in the next couple of years, he'll and another HC job almost immediately and the Niners will have zero chance at landing such a quality coach again for the next decade. I think the Yorks have learned that lesson from their years of bungling. Well, we'd certainly better hope so.
Agree

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Jed has already shown he's staying out of it.

I don't think they're on a short leash at all.
And I'm saying I don't know if the they are. or not.
Only looking at it why the pick might not be Shanny call in the end

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Yorks don't seem to have a problem firing head coaches and GMs.
The Niners would be a plum job
The firing isn't the problem, it was necessary.

The problem is selecting the new GM and HC, if you select wrong, then you have to fire them.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am NOT saying that, but am trying to figure out what you meant by this post:

"That may be true but Ohio St QB's have not done well in the NFL."
Yes they haven't. To include the guy Fields replaced. I'm not saying the only reason they busted was because they went to OSU.
Intangibles is the glue that drove BIG 10 players for decades

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The firing isn't the problem, it was necessary.

The problem is selecting the new GM and HC, if you select wrong, then you have to fire them.
Who hired then in the first place?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No not against it. Just not on the same page as to who the pick ought to be.
I would hope all are on the same page
I fully expect that Shanny will get his guy. He just needs to get it right.
Lets face it. Who ever it is will be going into a great situation
Yes, not everyone will be on the same page because each have good qualities. To me, each will become starting NFL QB's, unless they get into a bad organization.

Yes, a LOT is riding on getting it right so not worried about who they select. I do think it should be Justin Fields, but not going ballistic if it ain't. I think we will win with any of the three but will we win play-offs and the SB? That takes a QB who does the extra when the play breaks down.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And I'm saying I don't know if the they are. or not.
Only looking at it why the pick might not be Shanny call in the end
your opinion is fine.

for me it is clear, Jed approved the trade up and will allow them to select whomever they think best.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yorks don't seem to have a problem firing head coaches and GMs.
That is exactly why your statement below is incorrect.

The Niners would be a plum job
If the Niner job was such a plum job, Shanny and Lynch wouldn't have gotten 6yr deals as first-year HC/GM. If that was true, all our nonHarbaugh/nonShanny HCs wouldn't have had so much trouble finding quality assistants to work for them.

If they're fired in the next couple of years, it would be tough to call a job a plum job under a meddling owner that will have managed to run off the only 2 successful HCs we've had in 20 years. That is why this will be Shanny and Lynch's call--overruling the HC for such a big draft pick and move up and then firing them the owner's pick doesn't work is exactly the kind of thing that would keep quality coaches from choosing SF.

I think it's madness to think that York didn't approve the trade up and doing so means he's letting the HC and FO do its thing.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing sucks actually, talking needing a QB, sheesh!!!

What team has had more quality QB;s than the Niners?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too me, this trade up for a QB is as much of a business decision
your opinion is fine.

for me it is clear, Jed approved the trade up and will allow them to select whomever they think best.
I think he's on board because it a business decision as much as anything else. It's also help lead me to believe it's his call in the end
Who knows when the Niners were going to dip that low again. Here's there change to grab their QB of the future for cheap( relatively speaking)
If JimmyG falters bringing in a new Veteran starter( IE a Cousins or Ryan) would cost tens of millions a year as well as trade capital.
Ownership might have an eye looking past the current guys on the job

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly why your statement below is incorrect.

If the Niner job was such a plum job, Shanny and Lynch wouldn't have gotten 6yr deals as first-year HC/GM. If that was true, all our nonHarbaugh/nonShanny HCs wouldn't have had so much trouble finding quality assistants to work for them.

If they're fired in the next couple of years, it would be tough to call a job a plum job under a meddling owner that will have managed to run off the only 2 successful HCs we've had in 20 years. That is why this will be Shanny and Lynch's call--overruling the HC for such a big draft pick and move up and then firing them the owner's pick doesn't work is exactly the kind of thing that would keep quality coaches from choosing SF.

I think it's madness to think that York didn't approve the trade up and doing so means he's letting the HC and FO do its thing.
Why wouldn't it be a plum job? They have a rather loaded roster in a declining division.
New guys would have a few years to make it work

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes they haven't. To include the guy Fields replacI'm not saying the only reason they busted was because they went to OSU.ed.
Intangibles is the glue that drove BIG 10 players for decades
ok but you have to understand, if you just read ""That may be true but Ohio St QB's have not done well in the NFL.", most would take this to mean 'they only reason they busted was because they went to OSU'.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he's on board because it a business decision as much as anything else. It's also help lead me to believe it's his call in the end
Who knows when the Niners were going to dip that low again. Here's there change to grab their QB of the future for cheap( relatively speaking)
If JimmyG falters bringing in a new Veteran starter( IE a Cousins or Ryan) would cost tens of millions a year as well as trade capital.
That's an interesting idea. For ownership to see it as a cost/benefit thing versus getting a veteran QB.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok but you have to understand, if you just read ""That may be true but Ohio St QB's have not done well in the NFL.", most would take this to mean 'they only reason they busted was because they went to OSU'.
Sure

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Don't agree with the last sentence, not at all.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting idea. For ownership to see it as a cost/benefit thing versus getting a veteran QB.
How soon will we see the $50 million dollar man?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree with the last sentence, not at all.
Why? Lynched drafts haven't been all that great.
Shanny's wedded to his system.