• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't get Too Excited About The 49ers Moving Up to #3 In The Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's an interesting idea. For ownership to see it as a cost/benefit thing versus getting a veteran QB.
The main thing far and away for Ownership is to win and hopefully win SB's. If the winning is there, all of the business side becomes easier, better. All of the cost/benefits become good.

To win you need a special QB, and Ownership agrees this is the best chance to win.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why? Lynched drafts haven't been all that great.
Shanny's wedded to his system.
The last sentence is:

"Ownership might have an eye looking past the current guys on the job"

If Jed had an eye past the current guys, he doesn't approve the trade up. If you already didn't like how Lynch drafted, you certainly wouldn't allow him to trade up like this.

We will find out shortly, just how 'welded' Shanny is to his system.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't it be a plum job? They have a rather loaded roster in a declining division.
New guys would have a few years to make it work
Why wouldn't it be? As I said earlier, the biggest is job security--the lack of it. Let's say York goes nuts and fires Shanny after the 22 season. At that point, the team will have had only 2 successful HCs in 20 years, both damn-near won the SB, but the meddling owner ran them both off, sandwiched around firing back to back coaches after 1 year apiece. That's a Daniel Snyder like ownership faceplant that is a big red flag for potential hirees. Remember how hard it was for Erickson, Tomsula, and Kelly to find quality assistants--that was b/c the good assistants didn't see those HCs as having job security.

As for the roster, yes, it would still have talent, assuming we manage to hang onto Samuel, Warner, etc. But that doesn't mean that the team's talent will fit well with the new HCs scheme, not to mention that the team still won't have a QB and the new HC won't even have a 1st rd pick to get one. I"m not saying the cupboard will be bare, but without an established good QB, a HC without a track record of success won't get very long.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How soon will we see the $50 million dollar man?
Very soon imo. The franchise tag game played by Cousins and Prescott really pushed the numbers up quickly. Hell, look at what happed with Grop--he was the highest paid QB in the NFL at something like 25M/year, but within 3 years, the highest paid QB in the NFL was making 35/year. I think we're just a few years away from it.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last sentence is:

"Ownership might have an eye looking past the current guys on the job"

If Jed had an eye past the current guys, he doesn't approve the trade up. If you already didn't like how Lynch drafted, you certainly wouldn't allow him to trade up like this.

We will find out shortly, just how 'welded' Shanny is to his system.
I suspect we'll get a shit load of canned spun answers from them no matter the pick. It's expected
I hope Shanny does get to get his guy. Not having much if anything to go by Lance, I can't say who'd be my guy
If we can dodge the injury plague we suffered through last season, I expect a big bounce back

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't it be? As I said earlier, the biggest is job security--the lack of it. Let's say York goes nuts and fires Shanny after the 22 season. At that point, the team will have had only 2 successful HCs in 20 years, both damn-near won the SB, but the meddling owner ran them both off, sandwiched around firing back to back coaches after 1 year apiece. That's a Daniel Snyder like ownership faceplant that is a big red flag for potential hirees. Remember how hard it was for Erickson, Tomsula, and Kelly to find quality assistants--that was b/c the good assistants didn't see those HCs as having job security.

As for the roster, yes, it would still have talent, assuming we manage to hang onto Samuel, Warner, etc. But that doesn't mean that the team's talent will fit well with the new HCs scheme, not to mention that the team still won't have a QB and the new HC won't even have a 1st rd pick to get one. I"m not saying the cupboard will be bare, but without an established good QB, a HC without a track record of success won't get very long.
I hear what you're saying but those coaches also had lean years and lets face it, It was a power struggle between Harbaugh and Balke.
Losing team burn through head coaches.
Those guys were terrible head coaches to start

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you're saying but those coaches also had lean years and lets face it, It was a power struggle between Harbaugh and Balke.
Losing team burn through head coaches.
Those guys were terrible head coaches to start
And that is exactly my point. The best HC candidates won't bother signing on with an owner that runs off the team's last few success stories. That means the team will be left to choose from 2nd and 3rd tier options.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is exactly my point. The best HC candidates won't bother signing on with an owner that runs off the team's last few success stories. That means the team will be left to choose from 2nd and 3rd tier options.
Perhaps. Not many jobs are going to come with that kind of talent.
No doubt ups the expectations

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Fields is a good pocket passer to all 3 levels of the field. Thats what i've been reading and i read enough to believe it.

As we all know, sometimes the pocket breaks down whether there's a blitz, a linemen misses a block, or just a plain good rush. Sometimes the coverage is good so the pass doesn't get off. Under these "sometimes" situations, Fields can run for yardage and/or 1st downs. That's how Russell Wilson and now Kyler Murray frustrates our defense, so why not have the same weapon?

I really believe Mac Jones can do well too because there's a LOT to like about a high level of intangibles. But we won't get those "sometimes" plays which is why you trade up in the first place.
I don't know enough about Fields. I only saw 4 games of his and he was bad in two, mediocre in one and brilliant in another. I'll have to trust the professionals who rate talent when they say he is a very, very good player.
If he turns out to be Russell Wilson, I'll be thrilled. I don't think Kyler Murray is that good. The league has already caught up to him.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Jed has already shown he's staying out of it.

I don't think they're on a short leash at all.
It seems he's doing a much better job of that in recent years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I suspect we'll get a shit load of canned spun answers from them no matter the pick. It's expected
I hope Shanny does get to get his guy. Not having much if anything to go by Lance, I can't say who'd be my guy
If we can dodge the injury plague we suffered through last season, I expect a big bounce back
Yes, no matter who the pick is, there will be crtiques up the yin-yang. Good and bad, we will read articles for days/weeks/months till the first game.

As we all know, it will come down to the performance of that pick next season. Not worried we'll choose a flat out bust, but will his performance provide those extra plays?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, no matter who the pick is, there will be crtiques up the yin-yang. Good and bad, we will read articles for days/weeks/months till the first game.

As we all know, it will come down to the performance of that pick next season. Not worried we'll choose a flat out bust, but will his performance provide those extra plays?
This team was once mesmerized and chased big play abilities from Kap.
As we have oft seen that Shanny's O provides plenty of big play/chunk plays when hitting on all cylinders
Stay tuned

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm glad we made the mega trade up for a quality QB prospect. not CB (Rams) or S (Seattle). Yes, it is a prospect but still, these are GOOD prospects and QB's can transform your team. QB's can transform your team to SB winners, not a CB nor S.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This team was once mesmerized and chased big play abilities from Kap.
As we have oft seen that Shanny's O provides plenty of big play/chunk plays when hitting on all cylinders
Stay tuned
For me, this QB doesn't need to provide big plays all game, just complete your passes on time, and let the others get RAC's.

What i do want is for this QB to make plays when the plays break down. This is what makes Russell Wilson so dangerous, when the play breakds down, he'll move around and get a big play out of it. Funny you mention Kap, he was not able to save plays that broke down, he'd either get sacked or run oout of bounds.

When your QB can save broken plays, you don't have to punt.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, this QB doesn't need to provide big plays all game, just complete your passes on time, and let the others get RAC's.

What i do want is for this QB to make plays when the plays break down. This is what makes Russell Wilson so dangerous, when the play breakds down, he'll move around and get a big play out of it. Funny you mention Kap, he was not able to save plays that broke down, he'd either get sacked or run oout of bounds.

When your QB can save broken plays, you don't have to punt.
Certainly an added bonus.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Certainly an added bonus.
Yes, so for me Shannahan's offense will be good most of the time, if JG can run it well, so can Fields, Jones, or Lance. JG got enough big plays in 2019, so its not about 50 yard TD's every series.

You make this kind of mega trade up to get the extra plays from the QB and IMO, the extra plays are from those that break down. It happens, your linemen misses a block, miscommunicaton between C and OG, a RB misses the blitz, an all out blitz by the D, or just a great rush by the Edge or Aaron Donald. These are the times you need the QB to make a difference and having the ability to scramble or run, helps a ton. Your offense stays of the field, scores, and helps the D.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its going to put extra pressure on whoever it is

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, so for me Shannahan's offense will be good most of the time, if JG can run it well, so can Fields, Jones, or Lance. JG got enough big plays in 2019, so its not about 50 yard TD's every series.

You make this kind of mega trade up to get the extra plays from the QB and IMO, the extra plays are from those that break down. It happens, your linemen misses a block, miscommunicaton between C and OG, a RB misses the blitz, an all out blitz by the D, or just a great rush by the Edge or Aaron Donald. These are the times you need the QB to make a difference and having the ability to scramble or run, helps a ton. Your offense stays of the field, scores, and helps the D.
They also tend not to stay with the play long enough and panic and start running, ala Kaepernick and Murray.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They also tend not to stay with the play long enough and panic and start running, ala Kaepernick and Murray.
Yes, and that is for QB's who run better than they pass (Lamar Jackson?), so their instinct is to run. This might apply a little to Trey Lance.

What i've read on Justin Fields is that he's a pocket passer first and foremost, but if he has to run he can. His running could be the difference in converting a 3rd and 10? With Jones, you almost have no chance of making that 3rd and 3 because he's going to get sacked.