• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dombrowski In, Cherington Out

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's insane. That guy doesn't seem qualified to serve gyros at the ballpark, much less run the team.

He did acquire Miggy Cabrera and Max Scherzer for basically nothing when he was with DET. He got JD Martinez off the scrap heap, too. What's your beef with Dombrowski?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that wasn't an awful deal because he would've gotten double that if he repeated his 2014....but damn does he suck this year.

Porcello was doomed before he arrived. Had you seen his numbers in Fenway before this season? Atrocious.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be fair he won with the Marlins and built the core of that 03 team (drafted AGonz who was traded for Ugey, drafted beckett, traded for Burnett and Derek Lee, signed Miggy etc.)

Those Marlins teams were loaded with talent. It would be nice to see the Red Sox produce a good starting pitcher again. It's been a while.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porcello was doomed before he arrived. Had you seen his numbers in Fenway before this season? Atrocious.

Yes but the problem with that stat is he's no longer facing the team those stats game from.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. That said, those Tigers teams were pretty-much loaded(other than at the closer position.)

He has a pretty strong track record.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but the problem with that stat is he's no longer facing the team those stats game from.

True. But it shows that he was an utter failure in Fenway before he came to the Red Sox. That's why I never wanted him in the first place. Plus, guys change teams.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I saw that after I posted. That said, those Tigers teams were pretty-much loaded(other than at the closer position.)

He has a pretty strong track record.

They were loaded, but they weren't that good. To me, that indicates that something was wrong.

I really don't give a fuck, to be honest. I don't think he's that special. You do. I'm glad your glad.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean fenway is not a HR friendly park. And he's giving up HRs at a huge rate. that's the big issue.

He's just not even showing the same skills he did last year.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just happy that the shake up started before the Sox went to 25 games back.
<A glass half full kind of guy>

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were loaded, but they weren't that good. To me, that indicates that something was wrong.

I really don't give a fuck, to be honest. I don't think he's that special. You do. I'm glad your glad.

Thanks for letting me have this one, Slinky!

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just happy that the shake up started before the Sox went to 25 games back.
<A glass half full kind of guy>

Maybe this sounds bad, but I just have trouble being as angry as I was during the "curse of the bambino" days. Growing up, all I heard was that I would never live to see the Red Sox win a World Series. I've seen them win 3. I definitely want to see #4, but I don't get too down about it anymore. They'll pick up the pieces and give it another run in 2016.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this sounds bad, but I just have trouble being as angry as I was during the "curse of the bambino" days. Growing up, all I heard was that I would never live to see the Red Sox win a World Series. I've seen them win 3. I definitely want to see #4, but I don't get too down about it anymore. They'll pick up the pieces and give it another run in 2016.

As someone who can easily relate to those "curse of the bambino" days, I can totally understand.

If I saw the Indians win three championships, I wouldn't give a fuck if they never won another game.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that wasn't an awful deal because he would've gotten double that if he repeated his 2014....but damn does he suck this year.

As a Tigers fan who has watched every game Porcello had pitched in his time with the Tigers -- There is no chance he is a 20 million a year pitcher.

He will look like a world beater one game, then the next two games, he will look like he is pitching BP. His lack of a strikeout pitch kills him. I've said for years -- I think Porcello is better suited for the NL.

I think the first thing Dombrowski tries to do is find someone willing to take on his contract. Hell -- I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to deal Porcello back to the Tigers, where Boston eats part of his contract. He needs to pitch in a big ball park. As you can see -- he has already given up more HR's in 20 games of 2015, than he did in 30+ starts in any of the last 4 years.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear i'm not saying he's perfect.

I'm more concerned over the lack of home grown talent, even that he traded away.

He appears to be strong at evaluating his own talent though as he seems to win a lot of trades.

This pretty much sums up Dombrowski. It is why I said not to fall in love with prospects and put your trust in his judgement when he makes a deal.

Don't get me wrong -- He misses from time to time. Trading for Edgar Renteria, Trading Fister for basically nothing. But he wins so many more, it makes it worthwhile.

I think Boston is the perfect spot for him. He has a team who can carry a big payroll, meaning he can go after big fish in trades, as the team is willing to spend the money.

Boston fans should be excited -- he is a fun GM to have around, as he always seems to be involved when a blockbuster deal is going down.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who can easily relate to those "curse of the bambino" days, I can totally understand.

If I saw the Indians win three championships, I wouldn't give a fuck if they never won another game.

I thought I'd feel the same way as a Giants fan, but no, I'm still invested.

It is a lot less urgent though. Stuff that in past years would have bothered me about this year I'm completely ok with.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the Indians fans don't like him. As a Tiger fan, Dombrowski was great. Sure he made a couple of bonehead moves, but that's Monday Morning quaterbacking. Many more great moves than bad ones. I don't like him going to the Red Sox, because I don't like the Red Sox. The Red Sox fans, however, are going to love him.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the Indians fans don't like him. As a Tiger fan, Dombrowski was great. Sure he made a couple of bonehead moves, but that's Monday Morning quaterbacking. Many more great moves than bad ones. I don't like him going to the Red Sox, because I don't like the Red Sox. The Red Sox fans, however, are going to love him.

Don't get me wrong, I loved him as the Tigers' GM. I wish he wasn't leaving.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I loved him as the Tigers' GM. I wish he wasn't leaving.

This seems kind of foolish to say or you just don't follow baseball that much. Detroit was the laughingstock of the MLB pre-Dombrowski. Since he took over -- Detroit has went to the World Series in 2006 and 2012, then went to the ALCS in 2011, 2012 and 2013. They also won the AL Central in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

He has traded for Miguel Cabrera, Anibal Sanchez, Doug Fister, Max Scherzer, David Price, Yoenis Cespedes, Jose Iglesias, etc. etc. etc. Out of all those deals and all those prospects he traded away -- the only one worth a damn now is Andrew Miller and it took him years and years before moving from a starter to the bullpen. I don't want to forget about JD Martinez, who he brought in and gave up nothing to sign. They just talked about him on the radio the other day -- in his last 162 games -- JD Martinez has 50 homeruns. FIFTY. For a guy we signed for nothing. :)

Hell -- as a Cleveland fan -- I'd think you hate him for trading you nothing to get Jhonny Peralta, who went on to be a two time all-star SS with the Tigers in the 3 years we had him.

There is a reason you had multiple teams in a bidding war for Dombrowski to be their GM. If he wants a player, he gets a deal done. He is very good at sacrificing 'prospects' to bring in young, legit MLB talents and seems to have an uncanny ability to sell prospects when they are at an all time high in value, and then they come back to earth once they are gone.

While Dombrowski gets credit for Cabrera being in Detroit -- he was also the GM who outbid everyone to sign Cabrera for 1.6 million as a 16 year old when he was at Miami.

If there is one issue I had with Dombrowski -- it is how his bullpen moves never seemed to work, but it wasn't for a lack of effort. Joe Nathan was signed after a career year pitching in Texas and he was horrendous. He traded for Joakim Soria, who had a 2.13 ERA last year and he came in and was horrible. Bruce Rondon was supposed to be our closer in waiting, and he looks the part throwing 100+ MPH, but he has been horrible. They have tried year after year to upgrade the bullpen and nothing seemed to work.

As far as not winning a world series. That is based more on getting hot at the right time than anything else. Detroit, unfortunately, never seemed to get hot at the right time. They still were one of the best teams in the MLB the last few years and have the players to get back to the top, with the addition of a few pitchers. :)