• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the PAC-12 produce the best coaches?

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team PAC 12 has always been as bad. There was so much USC dick riding going on back when they were dominant it was sickening. Big 10 too in 2006. Big 12 in 2008. We've all had our moments.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure on that. SEC spends more money, but not sure coaching talent is much better. Even Saban says his greatest influence was PAC coaxh, Don James

Money isn't a factor. Neither is Don James who obviously isn't a HC now(RIP). All conferences have had their legendary coaches if you want to go that route.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban Meyer
Bob Stoops
Chris Peterson
Nick Saban
Brian Kelly
Mark Richt
Frank Beamer
Mack Brown
Steve Spurrier

You ain't on that list and you haven't won close to 3/4 of your games (over a sustained period) or you haven't come close to 200 wins. In other words, you haven't proven yourself to considered one of the current greats in the game. You might be pulling a Chizik and catching lightning in a bottle for a year or two for all we know.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money isn't a factor. Neither is Don James who obviously isn't a HC now(RIP). All conferences have had their legendary coaches if you want to go that route.

He was talking about spending more money on the players, not on the coaches. :yahoo:

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My list of the best in no particular order and what school they coach at next year.

Chris Peterson Washington
Urban Meyer Ohio St
Bob Stoops Oklahoma
Nick Saban Alabama
Brian Kelly Notre Dame
Mark Richt Georgia
Gary Patterson TCU
Steve Spurrier South Carolina
Les Miles LSU
Bronco Mendenhall BYU
Paul Johnson Georgia Tech
Mike Gundy Oklahoma St
Frank Beamer Virginia Tech
Bill Snyder Kansas St
Kyle Whittingham Utah

Most of the Pac 12 talent is new to the game. Not saying that is a bad thing, it just means they haven't done it long enough to see if their success will be sustained.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My list of the best in no particular order and what school they coach at next year.

Urban Meyer Ohio St
Bob Stoops Oklahoma
Nick Saban Alabama
Brian Kelly Notre Dame
Mark Richt Georgia
Gary Patterson TCU
Les Miles LSU
Bronco Mendenhall BYU
Mike Gundy Oklahoma St
Bill Snyder Kansas St
Kyle Whittingham Utah

Most of the Pac 12 talent is new to the game. Not saying that is a bad thing, it just means they haven't done it long enough to see if their success will be sustained.
How did this go from a list about coaches going from college to the pros and where they came from to the above? :noidea:

I think there is a lot of talent all over major D1 football right now and there are some damn fine coaches in each of the major conferences.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured with the title it was on topic?:noidea:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC12 network broadcast deals have shoved soo much $$$ in each schools coffers already and every year goin forward, even schools like WSU and Oregon St. can throw money at their coaching staffs and facilities they never dreamed possible just two years ago.

The PAC now has the best overall group of coaching staffs of any conf for sure. But not to diss the SEC, big12, and 10 either. They got some great coached teams as well.

But as overall power, the PAC is #1 right now in coaching talent. This conf used to be top heavy, but it's now a dog fight with everyone for recruits and conf play. Total arms race.

Well, for one more season anyway!!:whistle:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Urban Meyer Ohio St
Bob Stoops Oklahoma
Nick Saban Alabama
Brian Kelly Notre Dame
Mark Richt Georgia
Gary Patterson TCU
Les Miles LSU
Bronco Mendenhall BYU
Mike Gundy Oklahoma St
Bill Snyder Kansas St
Kyle Whittingham Utah

I'm curious, if Brian Kelly and Mark Richt are on the list, despite not doing very much (with the exception of last year for Kelly) with the wealth of talent that they can recruit, how is Mark Dantonio not on that list?

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Dantonio a lot, but this is the first time he has ever made a BCS bowl and he has only won a conference championship once. That is in 10 years as a coach. Another good year or two and his legacy is cemented IMO.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was talking about spending more money on the players, not on the coaches. :yahoo:

Not at all. Auburn and Bama spend more on football than anyone in the country. As a whole the SEC spends more on football than any other conference. That was not a cheating dig.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm too lazy ... someone run a two column list so we can compare. Snap to it, pronto!
-
I just do not think Spurrier is a great coach anymore. Used to be one of the great offensive minds, now he relies on defense to win. Miles is over-rated. Solid coach that landed in one of the hottest recruiting beds in the country. He has a title, but I think a lot of people would have had at least a title given what Miles inherited.
You have Chris Petersen at Washington. Great Coach. Rich Rod and Malzahn are pretty much on par. Both great offensive minds. Rich Rod given much of the credit for inventing spread running attacks. Mora looks very good. Graham had some nice success at ASU. Riley is a good coach at Oregon State. Shaw is a killer. Whittingham at Utah has always had my respect. Saban would be pick one, but pick 2 and 3 would come from the Pac in my opinion.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Auburn and Bama spend more on football than anyone in the country. As a whole the SEC spends more on football than any other conference. That was not a cheating dig.

I was joking with him, hence the :yahoo: