• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Fantasy Football dictate how we judge players?

Does Fantasy Football dictate how we judge players?

• Yes - stats are trumping wins and losses

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No - just win baby!

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Potato Salad with bacon arouses me

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The impact of fantasy football IMO, is that many fans have become more interested in their fantasy teams than their favorite NFL teams

if people were honest, I wonder how many people would tell you, gun to their head, that they would rather win their fantasy game, than see their favorite team win that week

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are proving my point exactly, calling Cam an average at best real world QB (based on his completion % I suppose) versus judging him on how he contributes to winning games.

It was moving in this direction since they opened up the middle of the field outlawing blows above the shoulder...QB passing stats...3500 yds was once a very good season, the standard quickly became 4000 and the once hallowed 5000 is challenged by guys that don't necessarily win many games, certainly not many big games.

I'm not into FFB, but that's taken it to another level.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was moving in this direction since they opened up the middle of the field outlawing blows above the shoulder...QB passing stats...3500 yds was once a very good season, the standard quickly became 4000 and the once hallowed 5000 is challenged by guys that don't necessarily win many games, certainly not many big games.

I'm not into FFB, but that's taken it to another level.

Its exactly why i have a problem calling any of this era's QB's the "best ever", or in that class...The rules have become so, that it is so incredibly QB friendly now, as opposed to past eras.....a Guy like Dan Marino would shatter 6000 yards every season with todays rules

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its exactly why i have a problem calling any of this era's QB's the "best ever", or in that class...The rules have become so, that it is so incredibly QB friendly now, as opposed to past eras.....a Guy like Dan Marino would shatter 6000 yards every season with todays rules

Oh stop it. :L

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Average... That's what relying so heavily on stats does to you. And a large part of that is due to the stats component of fantasy football.

If he didnt have 2 SB rings, one of them (2007) coming with the 26th ranked defense and dead last ranked rushing attack, and the other (2011) coming in a postseason run where HE was absolutely awesome, than you would be right, we would be relying on only stats

So Eli has both the stats and rings, not to mention, a guy thats never missed a game in his career, in an era where guys get hurt brushing their teeth, and we call that "Average"?

I respectfully dis-agree, i think by time Eli is finished, he will be very much in the conversation for the HOF

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best ever is always a challenge in most any sport...MJ in the NBA is probably the closest to a consensus GOAT.

In the NFL...the modern era guys like Manning, Brady, etc. have clearly benefited from the rule changes and it's made the stats of great past era QBs look scrawny....but, if you saw the games, you know the talent...kind of unfair actually for guys that never saw Marino play.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats aside.

Down a score with two to play, I'm taking Staubach, Montana or Brady, not Marino or either Manning.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he didnt have 2 SB rings, one of them (2007) coming with the 26th ranked defense and dead last ranked rushing attack, and the other (2011) coming in a postseason run where HE was absolutely awesome, than you would be right, we would be relying on only stats

So Eli has both the stats and rings, not to mention, a guy thats never missed a game in his career, in an era where guys get hurt brushing their teeth, and we call that "Average"?

I respectfully dis-agree, i think by time Eli is finished, he will be very much in the conversation for the HOF

No way is Eli an average QB...his career kind of parallels Ben's...both have 2 rings and a buncha yards...are they HOF worthy? If the party stopped this season...I think they get in, but not 1st ballot.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats aside.

Down a score with two to play, I'm taking Staubach, Montana or Brady, not Marino or either Manning.

Thats because youre a Brady fan

Eli Manning in those situations has been as clutch as they come

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way is Eli an average QB...his career kind of parallels Ben's...both have 2 rings and a buncha yards...are they HOF worthy? If the party stopped this season...I think they get in, but not 1st ballot.

Ive always drew the Eli/Ben parallel.......Id prefer Ben myself, less mistake prone......Ive had my frustration with Eli, but watching them closely since he started, I know a bunch of factors have played into a lot of his poor play....But what hes' delivered can never be washed away

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, 100% and via ESPN/Sports Shows too. This is the main reason I always say I don't judge guys by the numbers, but with my eyes. You need to go by what you see and not what you read in the paper. Stats are just as strongly correlated to opportunity and the type of Offense a player is in as they are talent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive always drew the Eli/Ben parallel.......Id prefer Ben myself, less mistake prone......Ive had my frustration with Eli, but watching them closely since he started, I know a bunch of factors have played into a lot of his poor play....But what hes' delivered can never be washed away

Both QBs have been to the top and have been the reason the team didn't just bottom out during the transition from those SB rosters.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both QBs have been to the top and have been the reason the team didn't just bottom out during the transition from those SB rosters.

Good way to put it...Im not complaining, not when I look at the state of QB play around this league, there are teams trotting out some dreadful QB's every week in this league

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats because youre a Brady fan

Eli Manning in those situations has been as clutch as they come

No, it's why I'm a Brady fan. You should watch the NFL sometime, dude's clutch.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You spend a good deal of your time blindly bashing the QB you accuse me of blindly defending.