• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Documentaries on bands/musicians.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been watching documentaries/biographies on bands and musicians. Most I run into are 80s hair bands. I want to see documentaries on older bands/musicians that changed music in some way.

I liked Genesis with how Peter Gabriel brought theater into live shows. Or Chicago and how they showed that brass instruments could wor with rock/soft rock. Or even Beach Boys and how their harmonies got them to near Beatles' status despite Brian Wilsons father being abusive. Or Queen and just how they revolutionized music.

What are some other great artists that I should try to find a documentary? Doesn't have to be rock or I don't even have to like them, ust want to watch about a band with a cool story.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might not be, exactly, what you're looking for, but this band does it for me.

Quite the remarkable story to their 'genesis' … two bros from Houston trek up to the Montreal music scene and one of 'em gets hooked up with future co-member & marries her when band was coming together.

All band members are multi-instrumental … fng Regine plays like 10 different instruments.

Nothing in the world like seeing their live performances. The most renowned band in the world that barely gets any notice … prolly cuz of their 'uniqueness' with all the types of instruments & sounds they create.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might not be, exactly, what you're looking for, but this band does it for me.

Quite the remarkable story to their 'genesis' … two bros from Houston trek up to the Montreal music scene and one of 'em gets hooked up with future co-member & marries her when band was coming together.

All band members are multi-instrumental … fng Regine plays like 10 different instruments.

Nothing in the world like seeing their live performances. The most renowned band in the world that barely gets any notice … prolly cuz of their 'uniqueness' with all the types of instruments & sounds they create.

giphy.gif

:heh:

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is primarily a jazz doc from the Newport Jazz fest of 1958 (although Chuck Berry does make an appearance), featuring some fantastic performances. If you do nothing else, check out "Blue Sand" by Chico Hamilton and you'll get a pretty good idea of what influenced Pink Floyd.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wrecking Crew is another documentary I highly recommend. Essentially, it's about the studio musicians of the 1960's who played on a shit ton of hits during that decade; a shit ton!

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched this one several times over the years.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wrecking Crew is another documentary I highly recommend. Essentially, it's about the studio musicians of the 1960's who played on a shit ton of hits during that decade; a shit ton!
This. They didn't just play on them, they pretty much did everything but perform all your favorite hits from the 60s. They even talk about how some of the bands couldn't even match what they were doing and play the music, and Brian Wilson ditched the Beach Boys to write and record with them. Good stuff, any music fan owes it to them to watch the documentary and recognize the real artists behind that music.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also The Future is Unwritten about Joe Strummer was good, and he definitely changed music in some way.

and Runnin' Down a Dream (hopefully obviously about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers).

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 Feet From Stardom
Dig!
Muscle Shoals
Pearl Jam 20
Rush - Beyond The Lighted Stage