• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you think any sport can overtake soccer as the richest most watched pro sport?

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind soccer but I don't love it either. Bigger fan of rugby... more physical, more scoring, and you can drink in the stands (because the fans aren't all hooligans).

Why is rugby less popular in American than soccer? The rugby world cup doesn't get anywhere near the media coverage.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is rugby less popular in American than soccer? The rugby world cup doesn't get anywhere near the media coverage.

I dunno. I'm guessing because it's similar enough to football that it can't compete with the big show and the big dollars that the NFL brings to the table. The little bit of rugby I've seen is pretty badass though.

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. I'm guessing because it's similar enough to football that it can't compete with the big show and the big dollars that the NFL brings to the table. The little bit of rugby I've seen is pretty badass though.

Does it make you feel more masculine and secure in yourself to watch rugby?

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you're getting it.

Soccer is like watching a bunch of Sisyphuses competing against each other by trying to roll the same rock up a hill—without using their hands, of course. And there’s a big guy on top of the hill just waiting to kick the rock all the way back to the bottom. Let’s remember that in the original myth, Sisyphus was being punished; there was no break in the action, and no flopping either.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer is like watching a bunch of Sisyphuses competing against each other by trying to roll the same rock up a hill—without using their hands, of course. And there’s a big guy on top of the hill just waiting to kick the rock all the way back to the bottom. Let’s remember that in the original myth, Sisyphus was being punished; there was no break in the action, and no flopping either.

All good points.

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points.

"Soccer is running America into the ground, and there is very little anyone can do about it."

How Soccer is Ruining America | Stephen H. Webb | First Things

Are you going to let soccer destroy your country? Call ESPN and tell them to stop showing soccer right now, America's future as the greatest culture of all time depends on it. First it was the metric system, then it was Obama's universal healthcare now its soccer. Do your part, peer pressure your fellow Americans into rejecting soccer and accepting real sports.

aTZsFyt.jpg

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Soccer is running America into the ground, and there is very little anyone can do about it."

How Soccer is Ruining America | Stephen H. Webb | First Things

Are you going to let soccer destroy your country? Call ESPN and tell them to stop showing soccer right now, America's future as the greatest culture of all time depends on it. First it was the metric system, then it was Obama's universal healthcare now its soccer. Do your part, peer pressure your fellow Americans into rejecting soccer and accepting real sports.

aTZsFyt.jpg

Lol. That's funny shit right there.

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. That's funny shit right there.

It’s clear that when Americans fight about soccer, they’re talking about more than just a game. Like ordering a latte or watching NASCAR, a love of soccer has become emblematic of larger cultural differences.

Foer says the fundamental divide at the heart of the “culture wars” isn’t religion, social class, or even political leanings, but our reaction to an increasingly globalized world. According to this theory, soccer represents a “double threat of globalization.” As the researchers write: “With its best leagues located in Europe and many of the best players coming from South America, soccer is an import burdened by the dual threats of European politics and a growing American Hispanic population.”

A 2012 study by Andrew M. Lindner and Daniel N. Hawkins, published in The Sociological Quarterly, took an empirical look at American attitudes towards soccer.

The results seemed to reinforce soccer stereotypes: educated liberals were more likely to enjoy the game, while rural men were the most likely to see it as “un-American.” And, supporting their hypothesis, the researchers found that attitudes about globalization had the strongest correlation with soccer fandom. If you thought that immigrants improved America, you were far more likely to be a fan of the beautiful game.

How Much Do Americans Really Hate Soccer? | Hazlitt

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a board created by ESPN college football refugees that was then invaded by NHL and NFL fans the OP believes his sport is the most important...

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is soccer even really a sport? I though it was just some kind of ghey mating ritual

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for a sport to be HUGELY popular worldwide it needs to be a team sport and be cheap to play. Soccer and basketball are really the only 2 I can think of that fit that bill and its much cheaper to play soccer than basketball because you can play it anywhere.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I would rather watch fifteen 6 year olds in tee ball run after the baseball. A 90 minute 0-0 tie just fucking sucks

T'N'T

L-I-V-I-N
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At rate this already over-sensitive society is going...sure, I'll buy the argument. It may not be soccer but if all this concussion awareness eventually leads to a much less violent sport of football...combined with Goodell's goal to get the NFL on television every freaking day of the week...

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I]Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: FIFA and the World Cup (HBO) - YouTube[/ame]

This cat gives a hilarious send up of FIFA

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people here say soccer is not a sports but yet they think golf is a sport :L