• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do we go WR in the first round?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In the first round right now I'd say it's between WR and CB, but leaning towards WR. A strength of this team is depth so beyond the first down we have the luxury of targeting BPA (or best value available).
This allows us to target impact players like RB (replace Dixon w/ a good back), OLB (impact player to compete with Brooks, or 3rd down PR), G, NG/DE (for the future), S (if Goldson doesn't re-sign), TE (upgrade Walker) or add another QB to the mix.

A lot will depend on who stays and who goes. If we can't re-sign Carlos Rogers (No!!!), CB will easily be our #1 target.

for me lean BPA. if its WR, then so be it cause the idea is just keep adding max talent. drafting is for a 5-10 year window, not the upcoming season.

granted, as any team gets BETTER, the 'eye on need' gets bigger. we're certainly better in the span of one year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I know we have a pretty loaded backfield in Gore, an explosive player in Hunter; and pretty descent back in Dixon - but if LaMichael James is there in the 2nd round...I'd be hard pressed to pass on him. He would be a dynamic x factor in our offense. So since we already have our future invested in Gore/Hunter, I'd target another position. Soap disappointed last night. Alameda Ta'amu or Dontari Poe should be his replacement in 2012.

Surprisingly enough, I'd love to see this. I don't know about James, but I wanna add another dynamic RB that can hit the home run consistently. Pair him with Hunter and Miller in the backfield for the next 4 or 5 years. As bad as this draft class is, there are a few RBs that fit this mold in this draft that I'm interested in.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Surprisingly enough, I'd love to see this. I don't know about James, but I wanna add another dynamic RB that can hit the home run consistently. Pair him with Hunter and Miller in the backfield for the next 4 or 5 years. As bad as this draft class is, there are a few RBs that fit this mold in this draft that I'm interested in.

Jeff Demps maybe?

Haven't heard anyone mention his name all year, so I thought I would.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Denard Robinson after he converts to RB ; ) lol

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If James or David Wilson is still around in round 2 then it has to be considered, but what would we do with Gore in this scenario? Trade him?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

+1

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not against a RB in round 2, but recall Hunter was drafted in round 4. so IF its a 'complimentary' RB being targetted, i'd think later?

if we're targetting an every down back, then soon as his value is the best.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not against a RB in round 2, but recall Hunter was drafted in round 4. so IF its a 'complimentary' RB being targetted, i'd think later?

Yeah, the more i think about it the more i think we should wait until the later rounds. The only way RB should become that high of a priority is if we trade Gore and i don't think that is going to happen. I'm not a big fan of taking a RB in the first 2 rounds either. The only 2 guys i would have taken in the first since '06 were Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson. David Wilson is worthy of a high second round pick, but i doubt he's there and James's game is too similar to Kendall Hunter. Obviously James brings a little more to the table, but not enough to over look a solid WR, OG, or CB.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Suddenly we have a lot less holes than last year, though. Taking a specialty player higher makes more sense, a la the Packers taking Randall Cobb and the Giants taking Jerrell Jernigan in the second round this year. Neither teams needs a WR, but these guys are versatile, explosive playmakers and both teams can afford spending a relatively high pick on.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's early, but there probably isn't a WR I'd take in the first round who isn't named Justin Blackmon, and he'll never last that long. Michael Floyd has the talent, but I don't want a screw up WR.

And Alshon Jeffery is sluggish. Don't want him; he's not an upgrade over Braylon or Crabby.

Keep the focus on the tranches (unless they can make a blockbuster trade for Luck)! The Niners lucked out playing a Harrison-less Pittsburgh team who lost Woodley to injury for at least part of the game. The OL is still suspect, and the Niners need another OLB & depth on the DL.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's early, but there probably isn't a WR I'd take in the first round who isn't named Justin Blackmon, and he'll never last that long. Michael Floyd has the talent, but I don't want a screw up WR.

And Alshon Jeffery is sluggish. Don't want him; he's not an upgrade over Braylon or Crabby.

Keep the focus on the tranches (unless they can make a blockbuster trade for Luck)! The Niners lucked out playing a Harrison-less Pittsburgh team who lost Woodley to injury for at least part of the game. The OL is still suspect, and the Niners need another OLB & depth on the DL.

Switch to ESPN and watch Aaron Dobson.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, that would be him. Better prospect than both Michael Floyd and Alshon Jeffery, IMO.

I've seen some incredible one-handed catches in my day, but I have never seen a back-handed one-handed catch...head, just shaking...

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would love to get a true Calvin Johnson type #1 WR - Considering our 1st pick could be between 25-28, I would not be opposed to taking WR in the 1st.