• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do we go WR in the first round?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Crabtree, and Morgan coming back next year, is WR really where yall would spend your first pick?

I don't want a WR in the 1st round. I like Morgan and Crabtree as starters with Kyle Williams in the slot. I would try to re-sign Ginn as well to be used on the outside in certain situations or as a 4th WR and of course for kickoffs.

We should take a WR but later in the draft. Whoever we take will be a project players like Morgan was a few years ago. You get someone with a lot of upside to be your 5th or 6th WR and hope you can coach them up to their potential.

Honestly we are pretty good at every position so we take the best player on our board and look to add depth.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't want a WR in the 1st round. I like Morgan and Crabtree as starters with Kyle Williams in the slot. I would try to re-sign Ginn as well to be used on the outside in certain situations or as a 4th WR and of course for kickoffs.

We should take a WR but later in the draft. Whoever we take will be a project players like Morgan was a few years ago. You get someone with a lot of upside to be your 5th or 6th WR and hope you can coach them up to their potential.

Honestly we are pretty good at every position so we take the best player on our board and look to add depth.

I have to disagree with this. We need a WR that is capable of being a difference maker. I like what I'm seeing from Crabtree this year, but he isn't looking like a guy who can be a difference maker. He's more of a JJ Stokes, TJ Housh, Tai Streets (in that one year) than a true difference maker.

We also need a CB. Regardless of whether or not Rogers re-signs. Culliver started out strong, but has struggled lately. Brown is a decent player, but we would be crazy not to look to upgrade.

We could also use another pass rusher. Smith is awesome, but I'd love a guy that is a big threat every snap on the other side as well.

We need depth on the DL. RIght now our backup DE is an undrafted FA who showed signs of maybe turning into something into the preseason. That's not good enough. We also only activate 5 DL on gameday, which seems like too few.

We also (obviously) need to address the OL, the right side in particular.

And an upgrade at QB would of course be appreciate as well.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with this. We need a WR that is capable of being a difference maker. I like what I'm seeing from Crabtree this year, but he isn't looking like a guy who can be a difference maker. He's more of a JJ Stokes, TJ Housh, Tai Streets (in that one year) than a true difference maker.

We also need a CB. Regardless of whether or not Rogers re-signs. Culliver started out strong, but has struggled lately. Brown is a decent player, but we would be crazy not to look to upgrade.

We could also use another pass rusher. Smith is awesome, but I'd love a guy that is a big threat every snap on the other side as well.

We need depth on the DL. RIght now our backup DE is an undrafted FA who showed signs of maybe turning into something into the preseason. That's not good enough. We also only activate 5 DL on gameday, which seems like too few.

I agree with all of this. I'm glad someone else noticed how thin we are on the DL. We have been fortunate that the front 3 have started almost every game together. They have been efficient, but we could certainly look to add another guy in the mix with an aging Justin Smith.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think we lean a bit on BPA between WR, CB, DL, and maybe OG with our target in the 1st round.

We're not loaded in those position but nor are we crazy thin there either so I don't think we need to really go out and reach for a need at the spot we'll be drafting at.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with all of this. I'm glad someone else noticed how thin we are on the DL. We have been fortunate that the front 3 have started almost every game together. They have been efficient, but we could certainly look to add another guy in the mix with an aging Justin Smith.

not surprisinly, we've been very good in the injury department.....teamwide. thats one reason we've remained strong all season. every team has injuries but we've had less, and less serious ones. for example, on the opposite spectrum are the Rams.

the most fragile spot was obviously QB, Harbaugh took a chance with CK and Tolzien behind Smith, so far so good. but we're still an injury away from 'big problems'.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not surprisinly, we've been very good in the injury department.....teamwide. thats one reason we've remained strong all season. every team has injuries but we've had less, and less serious ones. for example, on the opposite spectrum are the Rams.

the most fragile spot was obviously QB, Harbaugh took a chance with CK and Tolzien behind Smith, so far so good. but we're still an injury away from 'big problems'.

I think we've had plenty of injury problems at WR though. We started the season with 4 WRs expected to get playing time. Crabtree was injured early, Edwards was injured all season, where it apparently effected him to the point of costin him his job; Ginn is now injured; Morgan was lost for the season early; and now Williams may not play.

That's 5 of our top 4 WRs missing time due to injury (yes, 5 of our top 4 since we only seem to activate 4). It's the rough equivalent to what the Rams have had at CB with less guys ending up on IR;

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Crabtree, and Morgan coming back next year, is WR really where yall would spend your first pick?

we still need a true #1, it's hit or miss but a good chunk of them come in the 1st or 2nd. this year seems to have a lot of big body move the chains types.

crabtree and morgan could develop into a solid #2 and #3 but neither has proven that they can be that goto guy when a 1st down is needed.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But we can't just assume that those guys will stay healthy all the time. Ray McDonald was hurt a bit this year, but could you imagine if we lost Justin Smith how bad that would hurt our Defense? It's like the Peyton Manning situation where they just kept putting off adding solid depth at the QB spot and finally it bit them in the ass. Granted losing Peyton Manning hurt the Colts more than losing Justin Smith would hurt us, but i think adding solid depth on the DL this off season is very important.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we still need a true #1, it's hit or miss but a good chunk of them come in the 1st or 2nd. this year seems to have a lot of big body move the chains types. crabtree and morgan could develop into a solid #2 and #3 but neither has proven that they can be that goto guy when a 1st down is needed.

I think the two to target will be Kendall Wright (think Marvin Harrison) and Aaron Dobson. Wright we'll have to snatch in the 1st if he's even there. Dobson we can get in the 2nd/3rd if he comes out. Both players can be big play wr's for us. I'm a huge Kendall Wright fan, I think he's better than people really think. He has alot of strength packed into that 5'11 200 lb frame. I really like the way he piles the yac.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the two to target will be Kendall Wright (think Marvin Harrison) and Aaron Dobson. Wright we'll have to snatch in the 1st if he's even there. Dobson we can get in the 2nd/3rd if he comes out. Both players can be big play wr's for us. I'm a huge Kendall Wright fan, I think he's better than people really think. He has alot of strength packed into that 5'11 200 lb frame. I really like the way he piles the yac.

So if you like Wright, will you be watching with interest how well Hastings plays tomorrow? He's 6' 200+

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you like Wright, will you be watching with interest how well Hastings plays tomorrow? He's 6' 200+

No, I don't think they have anything to do with each other. Wright has a 42 inch vertical and long arms. I heard that Hastings drops alot of balls, as well as having good straightline speed, Wright has straightline speed and is shifty (which leads to great route running).

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, I don't think they have anything to do with each other. Wright has a 42 inch vertical and long arms. I heard that Hastings drops alot of balls, as well as having good straightline speed, Wright has straightline speed and is shifty (which leads to great route running).

Yeah, Hastings does not have that much vert and I confused his weight with Matthews.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does nobody have a sense of humor in this mother fucker? This shirt was a WalMart, and I know funny...and that's fukn funny!

raycharlesi.jpg

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I agree that depth on the DL is a need, but I'm fairly sure that RJF is the primary backup at all three DL spots. He stepped in for Sopoaga when Sop missed a game, for McDonald when McDonald missed a game, and was in the lineup when J. Smith missed a drive or two last week. We've also got Tukuafu on IR. He hasn't done all that much, but has looked solid as a backup in limited action. There's not much behind them - though Dobbs and Williams are intriguing young players - and while Smith is rock solid, I can't help but wonder how long he can keep it up week in and week out.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we lean a bit on BPA between WR, CB, DL, and maybe OG with our target in the 1st round.

We're not loaded in those position but nor are we crazy thin there either so I don't think we need to really go out and reach for a need at the spot we'll be drafting at.

That seems about right. FAs pending - Rogers in particular - I would certainly consider adding FS to the list. You can get a good FS later, but I think a true impact center fielder type (Goldson has his INTs, but I don't think he has the range or instincts of a truly great FS) would do wonders for this defense. If we have a chance to get an impact player, I'd have no problem grabbing him toward the end of the first.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we've had plenty of injury problems at WR though. We started the season with 4 WRs expected to get playing time. Crabtree was injured early, Edwards was injured all season, where it apparently effected him to the point of costin him his job; Ginn is now injured; Morgan was lost for the season early; and now Williams may not play.

That's 5 of our top 4 WRs missing time due to injury (yes, 5 of our top 4 since we only seem to activate 4). It's the rough equivalent to what the Rams have had at CB with less guys ending up on IR;

Wait, which one hasn't missed time? Crabtree missed week two. Edwards missed several games. Morgan is on IR. Ginn missed last week, and Williams is out this week. That's all five, no?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, which one hasn't missed time? Crabtree missed week two. Edwards missed several games. Morgan is on IR. Ginn missed last week, and Williams is out this week. That's all five, no?

Yeah, you're right. That's one of the problems with this group we have right now. They can't stay healthy enough to improve their skills or build a report with the QB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess until today Williams hasn't technically missed time. We need our three guys to be healthy for the post season. Though I think Walker may be the biggest blow as he plays a pretty crucial role in the run game.