• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do we even need Top 25 rankings anymore??

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if we are going to have something like the Coaches Poll where we put value behind the rankings then we might as well get rid of the playoff system and go right back to the way things were pre-BCS.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually disagree with that I think. Its almost impossible for a team to pass a team that was ranked more than a few spots ahead of them IF the teams have the same record regardless of how they actually perform. IE a preseason #5 11-1 Oregon is going to be ranked ahead of a preseason unranked 11-1 Texas Tech everytime. Now if the rankings truly dont matter then that is fine but we all know that no matter how hard the committee tries not to look at them they will still see them and probably use them even if its not intentional.

Nope. I don't believe there has ever been more than 3 teams with legitimate claims to the #1 spot in recent history. So even if there were some kind of bias as you say, which would be minimal at best, with the playoffs themselves it's even less of an issue.

And I know for sure it's not as you say about preseason "every time". And if something like that does happen, it doesn't mean it's because of a preseason rank. I've never heard someone say - well these 2 have equal rankings, but this team was ranked higher in the preseason. There are likely other factors involved if the higher ranked team in the preseason came in.

The only time that could be an issue is if it's like 3 teams that are all undefeated and 1 team just never gets respect to make it into the top2. Such as Auburn in 2004. But even then it's not a direct result of the preseason ranking, but rather perception in general and even without the rankings would have still happened.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Coaches Poll should be eliminated and the AP Poll can stay.

I do think that the committee would refer to the Coaches Poll, but they probably wouldn't pay much attention to what a bunch of Writers have to say.

I would just give more attention to a general composite.

I like this one: College Football Ranking Composite although it would never get prime time attention because it's 95% computers. But somekind of method like that. Which is basically what the BCS does, and I think the BCS formula is fine and should have been what decided playoff teams.

But in general, more voters is good because it cancels out anomaly votes. And a composite is like taking many many more votes.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna make a computer program that just figures everything out for us.

The time has come guise

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches poll should be eliminated, unless they start revealing the votes and the Coaches actually do the voting.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee and several "systems" is the best way.

You're keeping the human element and relying on several different permutations of statistical data collection/prediction to give you REAL numbers.

I'm all for it....as long as the committee is truly neutral....and the data isn't based on any polling previous to at least half of the regular season being played.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Determining the rankings on how pissed off your coach can get is the way to go.

I'm all for that.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we ever need them? Before the AP poll started nobody really cared did they? It was only because there was no playoff I suppose that the polls even started and they have changed a lot over the years, first it was top 10, then 20, now 25...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yes we need the polls. It's something else to fight and bitch about. Fighting and bitching about stuff like that is what cfb is all about.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a good reason to get rid of them.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they could draw 25 teams out of a hat every week and then rank them based on that.

That way we aren't always looking forward to watching the same teams every week. Hype up Kansas vs. Iowa State or some shit like that. Just to mix up the excitement and all.

By the end if the year every team in the country would be world beaters in our minds.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 year old girl scrolling through the channels says, "Like omg! #1 Virginia is playing #3 Wake Forest! Let's throw a party and pretend like we like football!"

Boom. Instant heroes those 2 loser programs become.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we do not a need ranking system. All what we need is for the selection committee to explain to us why the 12 teams were picked and why the teams on the bubble got left out. Everything else is pretty irrelevant. It doesn't matter where a team was ranked in October or November. What matters is what happens after conference championship week.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we do not a need ranking system. All what we need is for the selection committee to explain to us why the 12 teams were picked and why the teams on the bubble got left out. Everything else is pretty irrelevant. It doesn't matter where a team was ranked in October or November. What matters is what happens after conference championship week.

Yep.

Should a loss in November count against a team more than a loss in September?

I think not. Timing of the loss shouldn't equate into the ranking, only opponent strength/weakness and game configuration (home/away/neutral) should be taken into account.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Should a loss in November count against a team more than a loss in September?

I think not. Timing of the loss shouldn't equate into the ranking, only opponent strength/weakness and game configuration (home/away/neutral) should be taken into account.

Ironically this is one thing CBB has gotten corrected and has had right for awhile. There have been plenty of instances where the #1 CBB has lost and remained #1 because they just have a better overall resume than the teams behind them and CBB no longer uses late season performance as a criteria for selecting their tourney teams. SOmehow I have a feeling that a 12-0 Stanford that loses the P12 title game to 10-2 UCLA is NOT going to be picked ahead of a 11-1 Texas that lost to OK State in week 5 and they certainly wouldnt be RANKED ahead of Texas in that scenario even if the P12 were tougher than the B12.