• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do we actually believe Manning is going survive these next 3 weeks?

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am having hard time buying that, and if he goes down.....

rdIsTE2.gif

This is going to be a real problem. He had two weeks off to rest that ankle, and now he needs another 2 weeks (at least) to rest that ankle. Now, they play this defense, who is on pace to break the Bears 1984 record for sacks in a season.

Twice, in 2 weeks, as if we all do not know.

It is going to be a small miracle for him to get through this gauntlet. Not to mention the rest of the season is no picnic. It is the NFL and there really is no such thing as a team that is not dangerous.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this injury is going to continue to linger then the offenses primary focus should be to keep people off him. Have Moreno AND Ball line up on either side of him all game, and those two (more so Ball) need to be on their game. Lay people out if they blitz up the A gap, or if they come flying around the ends. Houston is the one who really worries me here. I've watched a few Chiefs games this year, and that guy has been an absolute beast on blitzes. He's always getting around the QB.

The O-line needs to be on top of shit these next few weeks too, and I'm all for seeing Dreessen get in there on 2 TE sets as a blocker and let Julius run routes. Whatever it takes......just keep people off Peyton.

Last edited by a moderator:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no point in lamenting something you can't control. Injuries are a part of the game and every team deals with them. If the Broncos have to pull Manning to keep him healthy then so be it. Goi g into the playoffs health is more important than playoff seed, I think. If the Broncos don't get a first round bye but have a playoff spot locked up I would expect them to rest Manning for the final game of the season. If Manning takes a beating this week against the Chiefs and the Broncos need to rest him against the Patriots, so be it. You can't do anything about it so why worry? Football season is supposed to be fun. I refuse to worry about something I can't control.

With that being said, if I were the OC I would pull in the offense and tell them nobody touches Manning. We will take the penalties for holding, tripping, blocking low, whatever. But ever since the Jaguars game defenders haven't quit coming well after Manning releases or the whistle blows. Teams can't beat Manning so they'll "beat" him. The Broncos need to protect him at all costs. If it means a few holding penalties then maybe that's a price we should be willing to pay.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you on that. If the Broncos are up by two scores or more late in the game with the Chiefs I would like to see Manning taking a few plays off. No point in exposing him any more than necessary.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, they play this defense, who is on pace to break the Bears 1984 record for sacks in a season.

Twice, in 2 weeks, as if we all do not know.

KC has some very good players on its defense, but I'm not at all convinced that that unit will go down in history along side the '85 Bears defense. In addition to leading the league in sacks they have also given up a league high 5 yards per carry rushing and they have faced a slate of opposing QBs that consists almost entirely of players with little success in the league.

Seems to me that the keys against them will be to tailor the offense to take advantage of the KC run defense while providing PM extra protection when we throw the ball. The KC offense has not been particularly good, so our defense will have to take advantage of that.

Last I saw we are eight point favorites. Personally, I'm giving the points.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me I think the Broncos should start this game in a 2 TE set. Dreessen and Thomas both are good receiving TE's, it helps in blocking for the pass rush, and should help in the blocking for the run game. Use this to wear down that defense in the thin air of Denver.

Now to the topic at hand...If Peyton feels healthy enough to play then they need to let him play. There are some things they can do on offense to help protect him a little better. He has been playing on a hurt ankle now for weeks and we keep winning so not too worried about it.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dunno about you, but when Mainning hit the ground at the end of the game last week, I was a little bit worried, myself. Dude can take only so much pounding.

Like I said, I wish he'd let Brock come in for some mop up duty as it would keep Peyton from getting whacked a few more times.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I wish he'd let Brock come in for some mop up duty as it would keep Peyton from getting whacked a few more times.

Or hand Moreno the ball more towards the end. The problem with taking Manning out towards the end of the chargers game is that the chargers were not that far from coming back. Also, it takes a new QB some time to find a rhythm and get a feel for the defense. You can't just plunk Osweiler in around 4th quarter and expect him to keep the offense flowing normally.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dunno about you, but when Mainning hit the ground at the end of the game last week, I was a little bit worried, myself. Dude can take only so much pounding.

There have been some games in which it would have made sense to take PM out early and we didn't do that. The game at SD last Sunday wasn't one of those games, though, was it?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the game still being a 1 possession game you have to keep Peyton in. Part of that being that there still has to be some kind of threat of a pass which obviously on the play he got hurt we decided to be aggressive and pass for the 1st down to seal the game. It was a very aggressive decision that hindsight is easy to say was a bad decision but remember last year against Baltimore where we ran on 3rd and 7 to try and milk the clock then we all of course know what happened next. It doesn't sound like there was any more damage done to his leg so have him sit out a few practices and he should be fine. Sounds like the NFL is reviewing the play as it looked like the player dove at his leg to intentionally hurt him. Teams have been doing this the past few weeks in really trying to test his legs so I'm hoping the NFL will do something to try and stop some of this crap.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you people actually read anything or try and decipher before you put up random "Freaking Out" posts about the imaginary excessive amount of things? Do you actually know how many times Manning has been hit? Sacked? Anything? No, I did not think so, because if you had, you would realize how stupid this thread is. Manning has been sacked a total of 12 times this year, which is the lowest total given up by any team. Manning has been hit 27 times, which is the second lowest given up by any team. I understand that Manning getting hit at all is a bad thing due to age and recent injuries, but give it a rest people. The defense is occasionally going to get to him.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you people actually read anything or try and decipher before you put up random "Freaking Out" posts about the imaginary excessive amount of things? Do you actually know how many times Manning has been hit? Sacked? Anything? No, I did not think so, because if you had, you would realize how stupid this thread is. Manning has been sacked a total of 12 times this year, which is the lowest total given up by any team. Manning has been hit 27 times, which is the second lowest given up by any team. I understand that Manning getting hit at all is a bad thing due to age and recent injuries, but give it a rest people. The defense is occasionally going to get to him.

According to the stats I've seen Denver has actually given up the second fewest sacks (13) in the league, trailing only Detroit (10). I think that Denver fans are mostly all aware that PM, more than any other QB, knows where the pressure will come from, gets rid of the ball quickly and avoids sacks. At the same time, over the past few games he has taken more hits than he had previously, he is now hobbled, and he is facing the defense that has been best in the league at sacking the QB. So, while I'm not predicting that our season is about to go up in a mushroom cloud, I don't think it's entirely knee jerk reaction to be concerned about the pressure that PM is likely to face in the coming weeks. Rather, as I posted above, I think it will be important that we make some adjustments in our offense to better protect him going forward. Is that an overly alarmist opinion?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the stats I've seen Denver has actually given up the second fewest sacks (13) in the league, trailing only Detroit (10). I think that Denver fans are mostly all aware that PM, more than any other QB, knows where the pressure will come from, gets rid of the ball quickly and avoids sacks. At the same time, over the past few games he has taken more hits than he had previously, he is now hobbled, and he is facing the defense that has been best in the league at sacking the QB. So, while I'm not predicting that our season is about to go up in a mushroom cloud, I don't think it's entirely knee jerk reaction to be concerned about the pressure that PM is likely to face in the coming weeks. Rather, as I posted above, I think it will be important that we make some adjustments in our offense to better protect him going forward. Is that an overly alarmist opinion?

That mindset is not overly alarmist. It is the ones calling for him to sit the next 3 games to try and protect him from being hurt. Right now the Broncos have a chance to secure homefield throughout the playoffs and a 1st round bye. I would rather Peyton have a chance to sit out that week then sit out these few weeks and then have to go on the road for the playoffs. Now if the game is getting out of hand one way or another then yes take him out and protect him but at this moment the Broncos are right in the thick of it and you don't just go bench your best player in hopes of saving him for some other time. Now if his injury begins affecting his play big time then yes he will need to sit out for a bit but he just had a 4 touchdown 0 interception game so not really looking like the injury is bothering him too bad.

Now I will say yes we maybe need to change some of how we protect Peyton in maybe playing a little more 2 TE set this next game and maybe try to get the running game going a little more early on but beyond that I wouldn't change too much of what the Broncos are doing.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The concern is more to do with the quality of defense they are playing as opposed to many of the defenses they have faced until now.

Last 4 games, Broncos have faced.....

Chargers ranked 29th in the league
Redskins 27th
Jags 28th
Colts 22nd

During the year they have faced.....

Eagles ranked 31st
Cowboys 32nd

I does not mean much, however the Chiefs imo are a legit defense. Broncos have let up 8 sacks over the last 3 games, and not sure how many fumbles.

Manning is gimpy, and it will be difficult to get through this stretch.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That mindset is not overly alarmist. It is the ones calling for him to sit the next 3 games to try and protect him from being hurt. Right now the Broncos have a chance to secure homefield throughout the playoffs and a 1st round bye. I would rather Peyton have a chance to sit out that week then sit out these few weeks and then have to go on the road for the playoffs. Now if the game is getting out of hand one way or another then yes take him out and protect him but at this moment the Broncos are right in the thick of it and you don't just go bench your best player in hopes of saving him for some other time. Now if his injury begins affecting his play big time then yes he will need to sit out for a bit but he just had a 4 touchdown 0 interception game so not really looking like the injury is bothering him too bad.

Now I will say yes we maybe need to change some of how we protect Peyton in maybe playing a little more 2 TE set this next game and maybe try to get the running game going a little more early on but beyond that I wouldn't change too much of what the Broncos are doing.

I absolutely agree with all of that and have pretty much tried to express those same views in both this and the other thread on the subject.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concern is more to do with the quality of defense they are playing as opposed to many of the defenses they have faced until now.

Last 4 games, Broncos have faced.....

Chargers ranked 29th in the league
Redskins 27th
Jags 28th
Colts 22nd

During the year they have faced.....

Eagles ranked 31st
Cowboys 32nd

I does not mean much, however the Chiefs imo are a legit defense. Broncos have let up 8 sacks over the last 3 games, and not sure how many fumbles.

Manning is gimpy, and it will be difficult to get through this stretch.

All good points. I suspect that the coaching staff is also aware of those things and considers it their responsibility to account for them.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the last few weeks? You mean 5 correct? TD, the high ankle sprain has been there since the Jacksonville game and PMFM has not really had another injury since then. Re-aggravated yes, new, no. Yes, it is likely we see an increased pass rush this week, but tbh, we have seen an increase ever since Franklin suffered his left ankle injury. Until he heals and the line can focus on providing more help towards the left of the line, we are going to see the same. A discussion on what the Broncos can do about it would have been a better read than certain people's tendencies to post "OMG!!! The World is Ending!!!" as they normally do and I really should not be surprised that this is the way the board went.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And oh, yes you are correct, Detroit has actually given up the fewest sacks, sorry and my bads.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last few weeks? You mean 5 correct? TD, the high ankle sprain has been there since the Jacksonville game and PMFM has not really had another injury since then. Re-aggravated yes, new, no. Yes, it is likely we see an increased pass rush this week, but tbh, we have seen an increase ever since Franklin suffered his left ankle injury. Until he heals and the line can focus on providing more help towards the left of the line, we are going to see the same. A discussion on what the Broncos can do about it would have been a better read than certain people's tendencies to post "OMG!!! The World is Ending!!!" as they normally do and I really should not be surprised that this is the way the board went.

I don't like doom and gloom predictions either, but there is a lot riding on this season, PM is hobbled, we are without Clady, and the KC pass rush has been formidable, so I understand the concern. The mushroom cloud gif is pretty over the top. Personally, I think that we will make the necessary adjustments and I'm expecting not only a win Sunday night, but also that we cover the 8 point spread.