• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do I trade in my car?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost at 100,000 miles
2008 Nissan Altima SE

It's starting to show it's wear but not bad.....

Is it time to trade it in and get a new one? Only problem money is SUUUUUUUUPER tight right now. Just did a "trade in" appraisal online and it stated the most I could get for it would be around $9,965

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and now all I see are Nissan ads in the Banners right now..... Freaking Toying with me!!!!

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost at 100,000 miles
2008 Nissan Altima SE

Is it time to trade it in and get a new one? Only problem money is SUUUUUUUUPER tight right now. Just did a "trade in" appraisal online and it stated the most I could get for it would be around $9,965

The car is just broke in at 100,000 miles. If you bought it new and kept up the maintenance, ride it out for a while more and save money,

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much do you want for it. Is that trade in appraisal about right???
Depends on if you are tired of the car and if you can trade and keep the payments the same.
100,000 miles on that car seems pretty tame, it's not like it's a GM or something.

What do you want to get.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The car is just broke in at 100,000 miles. If you bought it new and kept up the maintenance, ride it out for a while more and save money,

Yes I did buy it new... As much as I can I keep up with the maintenance but it's starting to get into the "breaking down" phases and I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep on fixing them or just get a new one. But money is extremely tight.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much do you want for it. Is that trade in appraisal about right???
Depends on if you are tired of the car and if you can trade and keep the payments the same.
100,000 miles on that car seems pretty tame, it's not like it's a GM or something.

What do you want to get.

Honestly don't know how much I want for it but I was hoping for $10,000+ but it looks like that aint happening. I wouldn't mind getting another Altima as the new ones look very nice... I always wanted an F150 but that's not practical at all right now plus they cost more than a car, which is super ridiculous!

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a 2002 Maxima. Love the car and think it has another 10 years in it. Everything works. And it will be an excellent 2nd car to the used AMG Benz we recently bought.

In 1995 I bought a brand new Taurus SHO and traded in my 1987 Camry. Never should have done that, especially given what the gave me on trade. It would have been a perfect car for my daughter when the time came.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt you get anywhere close to $10K on a trade-in for a seven year old Nissan with 100K miles. If it is still running and you can squeeze a couple more years out of it, you'd be better off hanging on to it.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not wait until something goes wrong before trading? The dealer will just wholesale it off anyway...they won't care if the tranny is slipping or whatever.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not wait until something goes wrong before trading? The dealer will just wholesale it off anyway...they won't care if the tranny is slipping or whatever.

That's what they did with my Pathfinder.... I got $10,000 for that... and the dealership didn't even look at it before they gave me the money.... So that's why I really am expecting that much for my Altima.. Granted that was years ago s I shouldn't expect that to happen again.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Outback was pretty tired when I got rid of it and I was offered a pretty low trade in value. Didn't really want people coming to my house, so I decided to consign it. Somebody was interested pretty quickly and it looked like I was going to have a few hundred extra bucks in my pocket, then the dealership calls me and says the buyer was poring through my repair records (I had everything) and noticed that my timing belt was never changed. Called the Subaru dealer and they said it was true, even though I paid them big bucks for an interval service when the belt was supposed to be done per Subaru they blew it off because I didn't specifically ask for a new belt (FUCKING CROOKS!).
The cost of getting the belt done pretty much ate up the difference between the trade in and what I would have made from the sale. I just traded in my next car after haggling and delaying, ended up getting a few extra bucks without all the hassle.
Oh, and NEVER TRUST A FUCKING CAR DEALER FOR ANYTHING.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Outback was pretty tired when I got rid of it and I was offered a pretty low trade in value. Didn't really want people coming to my house, so I decided to consign it. Somebody was interested pretty quickly and it looked like I was going to have a few hundred extra bucks in my pocket, then the dealership calls me and says the buyer was poring through my repair records (I had everything) and noticed that my timing belt was never changed. Called the Subaru dealer and they said it was true, even though I paid them big bucks for an interval service when the belt was supposed to be done per Subaru they blew it off because I didn't specifically ask for a new belt (FUCKING CROOKS!).
The cost of getting the belt done pretty much ate up the difference between the trade in and what I would have made from the sale. I just traded in my next car after haggling and delaying, ended up getting a few extra bucks without all the hassle.
Oh, and NEVER TRUST A FUCKING CAR DEALER FOR ANYTHING.

I totally agree with you! However, this dealership where I got it from (granted I don't live anywhere near it now) was great and treated me well and didn't screw me over).. If I couldn't get to that dealership a friend of mine worked at a repair shop and he hooked me up (sadly they have since closed). The dealerships around me are scum and I'm pretty sure take advantage of everyone but I don't want to try and sell the car by myself, don't want that hassle

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine at a dealer they would offer you about $5500 on the trade in. If you sold it to an individual you could get closer to what you want.

Foreign car at 100k miles, you have at least another 50k before you should start to see any signs of wear. In the last two years I've traded in both my 160k mile foreign cars. Neither had any issues, but ready for something that doesn't cause any concern about car trips.

I'd suggest taking it in for the 100k tune up (get that timing belt replaced, 100k is near the limit on that puppy). It will set you back about $1000, but a new water pump and timing belt will make sure you could easily get to 200k.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine at a dealer they would offer you about $5500 on the trade in. If you sold it to an individual you could get closer to what you want.

Foreign car at 100k miles, you have at least another 50k before you should start to see any signs of wear. In the last two years I've traded in both my 160k mile foreign cars. Neither had any issues, but ready for something that doesn't cause any concern about car trips.

I'd suggest taking it in for the 100k tune up (get that timing belt replaced, 100k is near the limit on that puppy). It will set you back about $1000, but a new water pump and timing belt will make sure you could easily get to 200k.

Damn, I don't want to hear that number! Granted it is a Nissan so it will be that expensive

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost at 100,000 miles
2008 Nissan Altima SE

I have an '09 SE (no sunroof or alloys, fabric seats...with 81k on it, great condition mechanically, body/paint job nice. I toyed with trading it in, the most I could get was $8,800 in trade and I had to twist their arm to get that, they offered $8k

That $9.9k sounds more like a retail appraisal...if you could get that in trade I would do it, but if it's paid off and funds are tight...hang on to it...100k is not bad for that car...my sister n law is still rolling in a '03...over 200k.

I have a co-worker willing to pay $10.5k for mine for his teen son...the wife drives it and doesn't want to sell just yet.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's more inline with my expectation after my experience.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money can't be that tight if you're thinking about a new car.

A year of repairs won't come close to a years worth of car payments...and additional insurance rates.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money can't be that tight if you're thinking about a new car.

A year of repairs won't come close to a years worth of car payments...and additional insurance rates.

Oh it's tight.... I just was thinking about the possibility of trading it in for a newer car since I will be driving more. That's all.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an '09 SE (no sunroof or alloys, fabric seats...with 81k on it, great condition mechanically, body/paint job nice. I toyed with trading it in, the most I could get was $8,800 in trade and I had to twist their arm to get that, they offered $8k

That $9.9k sounds more like a retail appraisal...if you could get that in trade I would do it, but if it's paid off and funds are tight...hang on to it...100k is not bad for that car...my sister n law is still rolling in a '03...over 200k.

I have a co-worker willing to pay $10.5k for mine for his teen son...the wife drives it and doesn't want to sell just yet.

Yeah, the more I've looked into it that's around the price I am getting quoted.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just put an exhaust system on it and it would kind of be like a new car.
thm_lrg_508305~photo.3.jpg