• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dislike Knowshon?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's crazy to wish ill will on a player who plays poorly (e.g., I don't even wish for bad things to happen to Rahim Moore!).

Moreno gets more hate than he deserves, in my opinion. I think it stems from the facts that his production has never matched up to how highly he was drafted and that he was picked by McDaniels. But he has been reasonably productive, just not what you want from a guy taken in the first round.

As far as whether it's a waste in general to spend a high pick on a RB, I think that that claim is overstated by some. AP and Marshawn Lynch, last year's first team all pro RBs, were both taken in the first round. Hard to say that either of them was drafted to highly. On the other hand, the second team all pros last year, Jamaal Charles and Alfred Morris, were taken in the 3rd and 6th rounds, respectively, so it is clearly true that there is RB talent in the latter rounds.

Personally, I'm excited about the Montee Ball pick. Of course, though I was surprised by the Moreno pick at the time, I was also excited by it. Hopefully, Ball lives up to his draft position better than Moreno has. Like all draft picks, only time will tell.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets face it. It is rather unwise IMO to draft a RB in the first round. Maybe even in the second round. Sometimes there is such a dynamic RB that can make such a difference that it is worth it. The Moreno pick was stupid at the time, and Orakpo should have been the pick.

I find it curious that the Broncos....by hiring Gibbs, and drafting Ball, Elway may very well be eyeing that system that made him a champion.

It would benefit Manning to have that type of dynamic running game. Montee Ball is a Terrell Davis clone physically. He looks to have virtually the identical running style. I suspected that was not lost on Elway, and indeed he even acknowledged that a few days after the draft.

Remember Elway is looking long term as well as these next few years with Manning. I have a strong suspicion that this may be Manning's last year here. Assuming that it is Manning's last year (this is a real culmination considering he is playing the Colts and his brother this year) I am thinking the Broncos will be moving into that old system that worked so effectively when Osweiler takes over.

The fact is there is truly only ONE or TWO QBs that can be expected to run an offense like Manning. I mean to think Osweiler or who ever will just come in and run that, is a little ridiculous.

Also, if and when the Broncos (with the ALex Gibbs stretch run ZBS) takes over and the primary offense, there will most likely be platooning. Unlike using TD and running him into the ground over 3 or 4 years, they will probably use a platoon type of system.

Can Moreno be a part of a system running behind a stretch run ZBS? I think he certainly has that skill to do it.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it curious that the Broncos....by hiring Gibbs, and drafting Ball, Elway may very well be eyeing that system that made him a champion.

There is an amazing article on Bleacher Report that talks about Shanny's success at finding running backs. It pretty much says he has a talent for getting players to operate in a zone-blocking scheme, breaks down the scheme, and mentions several teams that employ it. I do think Elway is trying to install that into some of our offensive plays to boost the run game. Many of our losses last season were a result of being a little too one dimensional. When Manning struggled or was slow to start we looked bad. I think the goal will be to bring in a more dominant running game that can shoulder some of the load. Defenses already have to respect the pass. If we can run on them too that will be a lot to handle.

As for the topic at hand. Moreno is a guy I always wanted to succeed but he has had a lot of struggles. I think a previous poster is right when they say he catches his unfair share of criticism because he was a McDaniels pick. I think Ayers is similar. Both have not lived up to their draft status but neither has been a complete bust. I actually get excited when we have Moreno in the passing game because the guy can really excel there.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sentiments exactly including Moreno. If Denver ( and I believe they will) can put some fear in opposing D with the running game, they will be extremely dangerous. I am more worried about the O-line than the rbs though. The addition of Vasquez and healthy Walton should help and maybe Beadles and Fraklins "nasty" reputations will be contagious also. Of course Clady. As far as Moreno goes, can`t say the guy hasn`t worked his butt off and I also like to see him run/catch because he pulls off some pretty crazy runs. If everybody (rbs) stay healthy I expect you guys are correct in stating that Moreno will be used mostly as a 3rd down and situational back. I hope he does great this yr and Ball gets rookie of the year!!!! :)

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an amazing article on Bleacher Report that talks about Shanny's success at finding running backs. It pretty much says he has a talent for getting players to operate in a zone-blocking scheme, breaks down the scheme, and mentions several teams that employ it. I do think Elway is trying to install that into some of our offensive plays to boost the run game. Many of our losses last season were a result of being a little too one dimensional. When Manning struggled or was slow to start we looked bad. I think the goal will be to bring in a more dominant running game that can shoulder some of the load. Defenses already have to respect the pass. If we can run on them too that will be a lot to handle.

As for the topic at hand. Moreno is a guy I always wanted to succeed but he has had a lot of struggles. I think a previous poster is right when they say he catches his unfair share of criticism because he was a McDaniels pick. I think Ayers is similar. Both have not lived up to their draft status but neither has been a complete bust. I actually get excited when we have Moreno in the passing game because the guy can really excel there.

A lot of good points in your post. Mentioning how good Shanahan is at spotting RBs in later rounds of the draft to effectively run in his offense is certainly well known to Broncos fans and, more recently, exemplified by him picking Alfred Morris. Since there is also some discussion in this thread about whether RBs are ever worth taking near the top of the draft (and whether it was wise to take Ball so highly this year), I'm also reminded that Clinton Portis, who was drafted pretty highly, was very effective running in Shanahan's offense and Shanny must have thought that he was worth the high pick.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol......The Giants have been a mess for a month. They better turn it around quickly, or they will find themselves in the dust.......

As for the original topic, classless comments about Ryan Matthews. Charger fans are all about their "Badge of Honor"......(ex-CBS posters will back me up on that one).

I hate to wish the Summer away, but I can't wait for Bronco football!

There is a difference in So Cal between Winter and Summer? What part of So Cal do you live in?

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprisingly, yes...there is a difference between SoCal winter and Summer.

I am in Orange County, about 10 miles from Newport Beach......gets fairly cold at night (even during the Summer).

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprisingly, yes...there is a difference between SoCal winter and Summer.

I am in Orange County, about 10 miles from Newport Beach......gets fairly cold at night (even during the Summer).

There is your problem, you live in OC, down here in San Diego it is nice year round.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not disagree with that. Love San Diego.....

But, given the choice between Los Angeles and Orange County, I will pick OC every time. lol