• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dipoto won't trade pitching but how do we fix the infield?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto said that the rotation of Gilbert, Woo, Miller, Castillo, and Kirby will remain intact. That's reassuring. It's what I prefer. But, unless they are planning to significantly bump payroll, how will they upgrade the infield?
First base: Is Raley the heir apparent? He has only started 59 games at first at the MLB level. But, he is cheap. Isn't arb-eligible until 2026 and was 4th on the team in WAR at 3.3. He isn't going anywhere. But can he be counted on defensively at first base over an entire season?

Second base: Polanco has a $12 million contract or a $750,000 buyout. I can't imagine them keeping him for 12 mill after the season he had so they will need to find a second baseman unless they plan on dicking around with a combination of Moore, Rivas, Bliss, and Urias all year long. That would truly suck but it would be sooo Dipoto.

Shortstop: Crawford is still owed $23 million over the next two years. He is probably the most secure of all the infield positions going into next season mainly because Dipoto won't trade low on him. And he is still only 30 years old going into next season so it is reasonable to assume that he may have a couple more years in him at peak performance.

Third base: Rojas is probably going to win a gold glove. And his defense inflated his overall war to reach a decent, if unflatering 2.1. He is only going into his second year of arbitration this winter so he is a good bet to stick with the Mariners for another year.

DH: Garver is untradeable. He would have to be an add-on in a trade in which the acquiring team got a top prospect or one of our young starting pitchers. I'd rather be stuck with Garver for another year and who knows, being the last year of his contact, maybe he will be inspried to work a little harder in the offseason to have a good year in 2025.

So, my summary:
Polanco - is gone but the replacement may not be any better. With Cole Young waiting in the wings, I don't think we should expect a multi-year free agent signing like Brandon Lowe or a trade for someone like Jonathon India.
Garver - Like it or not, we are stuck with him and his -0.1 WAR for another year.
Despite assurances from Dipoto, the opening day offense next year will look a lot like the offense of the last month of this season except for second base.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto said that the rotation of Gilbert, Woo, Miller, Castillo, and Kirby will remain intact. That's reassuring. It's what I prefer. But, unless they are planning to significantly bump payroll, how will they upgrade the infield?
First base: Is Raley the heir apparent? He has only started 59 games at first at the MLB level. But, he is cheap. Isn't arb-eligible until 2026 and was 4th on the team in WAR at 3.3. He isn't going anywhere. But can he be counted on defensively at first base over an entire season?

Second base: Polanco has a $12 million contract or a $750,000 buyout. I can't imagine them keeping him for 12 mill after the season he had so they will need to find a second baseman unless they plan on dicking around with a combination of Moore, Rivas, Bliss, and Urias all year long. That would truly suck but it would be sooo Dipoto.

Shortstop: Crawford is still owed $23 million over the next two years. He is probably the most secure of all the infield positions going into next season mainly because Dipoto won't trade low on him. And he is still only 30 years old going into next season so it is reasonable to assume that he may have a couple more years in him at peak performance.

Third base: Rojas is probably going to win a gold glove. And his defense inflated his overall war to reach a decent, if unflatering 2.1. He is only going into his second year of arbitration this winter so he is a good bet to stick with the Mariners for another year.

DH: Garver is untradeable. He would have to be an add-on in a trade in which the acquiring team got a top prospect or one of our young starting pitchers. I'd rather be stuck with Garver for another year and who knows, being the last year of his contact, maybe he will be inspried to work a little harder in the offseason to have a good year in 2025.

So, my summary:
Polanco - is gone but the replacement may not be any better. With Cole Young waiting in the wings, I don't think we should expect a multi-year free agent signing like Brandon Lowe or a trade for someone like Jonathon India.
Garver - Like it or not, we are stuck with him and his -0.1 WAR for another year.
Despite assurances from Dipoto, the opening day offense next year will look a lot like the offense of the last month of this season except for second base.
I know
.right...I think..the same thing ...
And only ..have ..one.solution....
That makes. Sense...and would fit...

Louis Garcia...2b..for .Hancock .
Logan Evans...polanco..and garver ..

Free agent .Cristian walker ...sign..

1b ..2b ...

Ss Crawford.../moore
3b .Rojas ../Moore .for now .
Leaving..dh .to.unkown...and.#4...
Or Garcia as dh
With more.2b..from.someware

That's as much .as I could .think..of.
Otherwise...

.I'm tapped .out.

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the start..of a..plan .not the..
End..

.continue..on.into..the.season..
And trade deadline..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odds .of gitting..Ozuna .are not.
Good I think..

And even trading.for...garcia..could be expensive ..

But would..work.as.both..2band.dh..
With .maybe..
Bliss..up .2b/3b .or something.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicken and egg...
Anylicks..is not .1st..end all.be...all.
That's ..crap...

Anylitics...is..a tool...to be ..used.
For..inhancment....

Of hitters.....not .as fit in the .box.....

The hitters..come 1st....

Then..apply......

What .dodgers..try..to.do..is fit.the..
Hitters..
.in.the.box...and.if.they..dont...fit.

Well..just..ruin..belinger ...

Yeah..whatever ..dodgers..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway..thats a backward..approach...

That's why .dodgers .have it.wrong..

You fit.the.abylitics..to..the..player...

Not player .in a box....acme..player...

Road.runner....and Coyote

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If owners are.planing....staying.were.they..
Are at .with the.players..
They have...

Good.luck..im out...

If Castillo s no trade clause.is up...
That. Would be an idea...
But they said..no rotation..this year...

I'm about to..get..board..of.the bullshit.

And move on..

Wasting..a fine pitching rotation....
Is disgusting..

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they..are .no ..playoffs .mariners ..

You buy ..the tickets...good luck.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't want..a neverending..
Story..
Of no playoffs ....bullshit..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are..putting..on a show..
You need.people .to buy tickets ..

.they know..what .owners..want..
And they..
Don't want.that ..so whatever .

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Dipoto actually all of the rotation will be back? I thought I read he said the young pitchers?

But IMO

-Young will be the 2B going into spring
-Somehow Haniger is gone whether it is eating his contract or add a prospect on top of it
-They will trade for a 1B/3B with Raley as the 1B/3B/DH platoon. I know 1B and 3B he isn’t a good defender but I think at this point defense is 2nd. Though you could stomach him at 3B if they put Young as SS cause he is a far superior defensive player than JP.

That’s basically it. They have Garcia, Evans, Locklear, Ford and Williamson who all can be traded cause IMO all 5 are MLB readyish. I think Cole Young is off the table in a deal cause he is either the 2B or SS if JP is traded.

Pipe dream is Castillo and Raley to Baltimore for Westburg with the Orioles taking Castillo’s salary. JP and some cash to Atlanta for bullpen help. Locklear, Haniger and his salary to the Mets for a bag of balls. Peete and Morales to Tampa for Lowe. Eat Garvers salary and have Ford as the backup catcher. Sign Conforto to a deal that is like 1/8 with a mutual option for like 15. Raises payroll about $20 million but IMO that would be a solid offseason. I think one of Garcia/Evans/Hancock can be a solid number. Everyone is down on Hancock for some reason but if they create a decent offense he is more than fine as a 5. Plus with Santos and Brash back, they only need him to go 5.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure how anybody could take this joke of a franchise seriously if garver isn't released. that's a bare minimum to show there's any commitment to winning.

jerry will get owned with any trade. this team has to pay double or triple for dogshit to sign here, and every other team knows jerry will be desperate for their leftovers to come here...same as every year.

robles was good for less than half a season for the first time since 2019 and arozarena is barely above average offensively and a liability defensively, so i don't get how anybody buys that the outfield is somehow good.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure how anybody could take this joke of a franchise seriously if garver isn't released. that's a bare minimum to show there's any commitment to winning.

jerry will get owned with any trade. this team has to pay double or triple for dogshit to sign here, and every other team knows jerry will be desperate for their leftovers to come here...same as every year.

robles was good for less than half a season for the first time since 2019 and arozarena is barely above average offensively and a liability defensively, so i don't get how anybody buys that the outfield is somehow good.
I don’t think you really need to cut Garver though. His season this year was more than fine for a backup catcher but only a backup catcher.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't support. This......and may..turn back...to the royals....
There.plan..is..not.baseball..its.bullshit..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give.a..rats..hat..if they..
Fall..off...
The.planet...

Its..not..what..I want..
In a mariners..franchise...
And I don't...
Want. A failure...franchise....

Dame..deadbeats..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I. don't give .a rats. About..the owners.
Money..

Never.have....

All .there .bullshit ..is just...that..
Bill shit....

And that's what the ..owners..are..

Have at um...guys..

Last edited: