• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dilfer says kaep is one read qb

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope he does!

:suds:

Btw stupid devils!

LOL I couldn't help it.... :suds:

146087521_display_image.jpg

best pic everr! LOL

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

This kind echos what I've been saying about coaching.

The coaches need to do a better job of figuring out how to make use of the talent we have and counter what defenses are throwing at us.

So as of right now for a defensive coordinator it's as simple as mugging the guys at the LOS and that completely shuts down our passing game.

I'm not an OC but I'm sure there has got to be a way to counter that and use that against defenses.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind echos what I've been saying about coaching.

The coaches need to do a better job of figuring out how to make use of the talent we have and counter what defenses are throwing at us.

So as of right now for a defensive coordinator it's as simple as mugging the guys at the LOS and that completely shuts down our passing game.

I'm not an OC but I'm sure there has got to be a way to counter that and use that against defenses.

Maybe they are waiting to do that come playoff time? The problem with this would be if we didn't make the playoffs. Thinking they are good enough to get by holding back might be an over-confidence issue (one catch from McDonald (?) or a healthy Davis and we'd have won). Doing it last year after we secured playoffs is one thing (Roman said we held back the read-option plays to save for GB and put off an appearance that we pridelessly abandoned our special plays), but now, is another.

Having said that, every team can beat you if things bounce the wrong way, close games are not good and our struggles are not just play-calling but execution, problems with executing that we should have recognized and adjusted by now perhaps.

But I am not saying that we are holding back now in detriment, but we no doubt thought we could win with what we've been trying, not winning, and I believe we have more play wise to go (not just waiting for Crabtree, though he'll help with the additional play looks and what we've already tried).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is. And with that group, I think/hope that Kap will be ok. He was good last year with less. Not really sure what's going on with him this year. It's possible other teams have figured him out a bit, but I think there's more going on than just that.

Its mystifying, especially after the start he had in the opener. There certainly does seem to be something more than that going on.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucky Brooks and the Bleacher Report were interesting to read, thanks for posting them. Appears there's enough blame to go around.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He needs more of this-
alex help.jpg
Sideline mentoring

And less of this-
kap jersey.jpg
The Beiber effect...

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How Can the San Francisco 49ers Kickstart the Offense? | Bleacher Report

Bit of a long read but a good one (and I don't think it's been posted yet)

This staff does a lot of good things on offense, but I think they're somewhat limited and predictable. They heavily favor size and physicality over speed. That's fine to an extent, but we desperately need more speed on the field. I would think we could come up with some packages involving Hunter/James on the field at the same time as Gore. We need to try to get the ball to our change-of-pace backs in space. We so rarely run designed passes to the RB. That's a clear area for improvement, as our RBs are basically the fastest skill players behind Davis.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This staff does a lot of good things on offense, but I think they're somewhat limited and predictable. They heavily favor size and physicality over speed. That's fine to an extent, but we desperately need more speed on the field. I would think we could come up with some packages involving Hunter/James on the field at the same time as Gore. We need to try to get the ball to our change-of-pace backs in space. We so rarely run designed passes to the RB. That's a clear area for improvement, as our RBs are basically the fastest skill players behind Davis.

Its the "Stanford" mentality of this staff. Just bullying the opposition with brute force works at that level but not so well in the NFL. Opposing coaching staffs are just too good.

I would love to see this staff slow down the rush with some screen passes or the like.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the "Stanford" mentality of this staff. Just bullying the opposition with brute force works at that level but not so well in the NFL. Opposing coaching staffs are just too good.

I would love to see this staff slow down the rush with some screen passes or the like.

we've been asking for screens for years.... it must be a SF law or something that prevents us from using screens in our offense.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time the Niners called for a screen pass to slow down the pass rush? I can't even remember. I agree that the Niners need to be more innovative with the offense. As Crimson stated, why not involve LMJ and Hunter more on offense?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Another good read. It's pretty clear we need to find a way to produce more on the edges. Hopefully Manningham will help with that. I'm fairly mystified that we haven't given Baldwin more opportunities. From a physical standpoint, he's by far the best edge weapon we currently have. Even if he's primarily a decoy, his presence should at least occupy a defender or two. Unfortunately, at this point our WR corps has virtually no speed. I'm pretty sure our fastest guy is Baldwin at 4.49. Though Patton ran a blazing 4.48, so getting him back might help.

I think we should try to add two WRs with some legitimate speed next year. Kap is a good deep ball thrower, and we need to give him some options. If not speed guys, then at the very least a guy with size who can win jump balls.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When was the last time the Niners called for a screen pass to slow down the pass rush? I can't even remember. I agree that the Niners need to be more innovative with the offense. As Crimson stated, why not involve LMJ and Hunter more on offense?

We've called a few this year, but they're few and far between. Perhaps the bigger issue is that, when we do call them, we block them terribly and thus they rarely turn into solid gains. We ran one against the Hawks. Two blockers out in space against Richard Sherman, with nothing but open field behind him, and he just split the blockers and made the tackle. We ran a WR screen to Williams this week with a similar result.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good read. It's pretty clear we need to find a way to produce more on the edges. Hopefully Manningham will help with that. I'm fairly mystified that we haven't given Baldwin more opportunities. From a physical standpoint, he's by far the best edge weapon we currently have. Even if he's primarily a decoy, his presence should at least occupy a defender or two. Unfortunately, at this point our WR corps has virtually no speed. I'm pretty sure our fastest guy is Baldwin at 4.49. Though Patton ran a blazing 4.48, so getting him back might help.

I think we should try to add two WRs with some legitimate speed next year. Kap is a good deep ball thrower, and we need to give him some options. If not speed guys, then at the very least a guy with size who can win jump balls.

He did put that one ball right on McDonald's hands on Sunday. Shouldda been the game winner. Fucking McDonald!

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've called a few this year, but they're few and far between. Perhaps the bigger issue is that, when we do call them, we block them terribly and thus they rarely turn into solid gains. We ran one against the Hawks. Two blockers out in space against Richard Sherman, with nothing but open field behind him, and he just split the blockers and made the tackle. We ran a WR screen to Williams this week with a similar result.

Last yr we seemed to have some success when doing WR screens to Crabtree. Other then that ya not much screens being called or if they are like you said we poorly execute them.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think the reason why screens are ineffective is that defenses are less aggressive in pressuring Kaep due to his running ability. They tend to hold back on their rushes to prevent him from getting away. With defense doing that, they are not getting pulled in and nullifying the effectiveness of the screen