• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dilfer says kaep is one read qb

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I have felt, and I know it's not accurate, is that there will be a point in the third quarter that I feel I know how it'll end, and sometimes it's not what the score is. They could be winning and I'll switch the channel because I "know" they'll lose. Sometimes, the reverse. I don't get that feeling with other teams. There's a click, not that I'm an expert or prophetic.

That is not so strange. I have the same thing happen to me. You get to the point where you know a team so well you can predict what will happen with them. For instance, when the 49ers settled for the field goal on SUnday from the two yard line to go up nine to nothing with Vernon Davis injured I knew the game was lost. I knew it for certain inside but it wasn't even half time yet.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to go with no. It's pretty tough to find a great QB.

So we are going to settle for a guy like Kaepernick who is killing the team? he has got to get better or they need to make a change.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK but at 9 games in, shouldn't there be enough evidence to show the contrary?

Perhaps they are not quite ready to give up on him yet. They probably remain hopeful that some of last year's play will come back.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So we are going to settle for a guy like Kaepernick who is killing the team? he has got to get better or they need to make a change.

The Niners do have 5 early round picks next draft.. With the rookie pay scale, it would be prudent to go for a QB on the 2nd or 3rd round that can be groomed.. Plus, next draft is supposed be deep in QB talent..

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Lynch on his chat said Johnny Morton designs the passing plays, so maybe something has to change there. I don't remember reading that Smith was a one read qb, and if he goes to his check downs all the time isn't that contradictory? I mean what is a check down if it isn't the 2nd or 3rd read? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term.

I recall watching some analysts saying that we made it easy for Alex Smith because we gave him one read and if it wasn't there he would check it down.

It wasn't Alex standing back there going through progressions but Alex checking his one read and if it wasn't there dumping it off to the check down guy.

I don't think any coach would tell any analyst that. I think that they just determined that by themselves. Now, I don't know that they're biased or not, but I font take their word for it. And note, this also applies to those saying that Kaepernick is a one-read QB - it's their opinion and deduction .

All QBs are taught to go through their progressions. Some are better than others. I've seen both Kaepernick and Smith go through more than two reads with pressure. I've seen some good QBs look at one read and panic. Smith will take the safer pass so that will lead to the check town, which would lead to this type of feeling. I feel that someone is trying to diminish the quarterbacks.

You can tell that I don't like the media that much. If I were to see which analyst said it, I might have an opinion on who it was.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now now... its too early to call for a mulligan at QB...

Kap's play is awful for his standards as we all agree but looking for a replacement is short sighted... Kap needs to correct himself and play better. Let's take it from there...

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Others have picked up on what Dilfer said, Kevin Lynch, Matt Maiocco, Don Banks, they've all written in some form about his struggles, which includes bolting the pocket, not looking comfortable, etc. I think the dilemma is last year -- he showed that he could do progressions, he looked great in the pocket in the playoff game against Atlanta last year. Lynch in his chat today even agreed that part of what the receivers are doing is that they know if they're not the first option they're not going to see the ball. I'm still going to believe he will learn, because he's smart, dedicated, a hard worker, etc. But he has to start doing it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not if the coaches don't have faith in him. But that's not the question you asked. It's far easier to find good WRs than a good QB.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if the coaches don't have faith in him. But that's not the question you asked. It's far easier to find good WRs than a good QB.

And that is getting WAY ahead of ourselves, the guy is too smart, too much into working at it, and too ambitious to talk about that now.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I have felt, and I know it's not accurate, is that there will be a point in the third quarter that I feel I know how it'll end, and sometimes it's not what the score is. They could be winning and I'll switch the channel because I "know" they'll lose. Sometimes, the reverse. I don't get that feeling with other teams. There's a click, not that I'm an expert or prophetic.
That is not so strange. I have the same thing happen to me. You get to the point where you know a team so well you can predict what will happen with them. For instance, when the 49ers settled for the field goal on SUnday from the two yard line to go up nine to nothing with Vernon Davis injured I knew the game was lost. I knew it for certain inside but it wasn't even half time yet.

To be clear, I was talking about the Washington Redskins' games. I never change the channel on Niners games - not even blowouts either way.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it's never a bad idea to always be looking for that franchise qb whether it's draft or free agency. I still think kaps the guy and Will be next season as well I believe he will get better. It will be interesting how they approach his contract.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it's never a bad idea to always be looking for that franchise qb whether it's draft or free agency. I still think kaps the guy and Will be next season as well I believe he will get better. It will be interesting how they approach his contract.

hell no he aint gonna get paid like a top dog... unless he wins the Super Bowl.... :whistle:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners do have 5 early round picks next draft.. With the rookie pay scale, it would be prudent to go for a QB on the 2nd or 3rd round that can be groomed.. Plus, next draft is supposed be deep in QB talent..

I'm just hoping that kaepernick will figure it out so we don't have to start over. I agree, however, that it would be prudent to use one of those picks on a good QB prospect just in case and if for no other reason than QBs get hurt so often that a quality backup is a necessity.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A group of them though? Isn't it easier to find one good QB to throw to the existing group of Boldin, Crabtree, Manningham and Davis? I think that is a pretty credible group.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, I was talking about the Washington Redskins' games. I never change the channel on Niners games - not even blowouts either way.

I did on Sunday because I was at my son in law's house and another guest showed up who wanted to watch the Denver-San Diego game. But I knew the 49ers were going to lose that game at the point I told you about so I really had no problem with it.

I don't enjoy watching the 49ers struggle. I want to see the outcome, but the process drives me crazy sometimes as you've probably guessed from my Game Day Thread posts.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just hoping that kaepernick will figure it out so we don't have to start over. I agree, however, that it would be prudent to use one of those picks on a good QB prospect just in case and if for no other reason than QBs get hurt so often that a quality backup is a necessity.

This team is sooo good now! From top to bottom. D one of the best in the NFL, OL one of the best in the NFL, RBs one of the best in the NFL, TEs one of the best in the NFL, WRs Middle of the pack (arguably better or equal to the past 4 years of WRs) really hard to judge because the QB can't get the ball to them, QB all the tools in the world but something is not right.

With every position top notch with a decent WR corps, What do we need for Kap to show something to par? an All Pro team?

For the draft part please draft a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. Not needing to replace Kap, have too much stock put in him but a quality back up to develop is needed. One that even might be able to compete wouldn't hurt. Other areas are needed first though like CB, WR, and C.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A group of them though? Isn't it easier to find one good QB to throw to the existing group of Boldin, Crabtree, Manningham and Davis? I think that is a pretty credible group.

It is. And with that group, I think/hope that Kap will be ok. He was good last year with less. Not really sure what's going on with him this year. It's possible other teams have figured him out a bit, but I think there's more going on than just that.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This team is sooo good now! From top to bottom. D one of the best in the NFL, OL one of the best in the NFL, RBs one of the best in the NFL, TEs one of the best in the NFL, WRs Middle of the pack (arguably better or equal to the past 4 years of WRs) really hard to judge because the QB can't get the ball to them, QB all the tools in the world but something is not right.

With every position top notch with a decent WR corps, What do we need for Kap to show something to par? an All Pro team?

For the draft part please draft a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. Not needing to replace Kap, have too much stock put in him but a quality back up to develop is needed. One that even might be able to compete wouldn't hurt. Other areas are needed first though like CB, WR, and C.

The WR corps is well below the middle of the pack. At least until Manningham gets back into the swing of things. Even then, they're still probably bottom half of the league.